Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

She runs good but....oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: She runs good but....oil pressure
    Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 6:30pm
Here's the story. This Jeep has been like a bad ex girlfriend, just when the flame gets rekindled and all seems great she screws me. This has been an on again off again relationship for about 10 years now. I felt like this was going to be the one.
SO, I got this CJ2a. It had no engine, went through a couple of other options for engines that didn't pan out. Well one day about 5 years ago my buddy calls me and says he needs help hauling a bunch of CJ parts home from a town about 100 miles away and there's a freshly rebuilt longblock in there that I can have for mine. Anyways, life gets in the way so its sits outside under a tarp for about 4 years then I decide last year I'm going to finally stick it in and get her on the road. So I check the engine and she's stuck, slightly, dump a bunch of marvel in it and get it spinning.
Fast forward 1 year, I pull the head everything looks pretty good minus some staining on a couple of the cylinders and a couple of stuck valves that freed up easily. I know I should have pulled the pan and looked at the mains and journals but I didn't so that's that. I get her all put together and she fires right up, meanwhile I don't have a good oil gauge so I buy a generic one for the test run. No Oil pressure, this is from the rear port where it should be. I pull the fitting off the block and watch the hole as I turn it over and its dumping oil, not a ton but as much as I would expect. So I think, maybe the oil gauge or line is airlocked and run it without the gauge shortly and the oil line does eventually fill up but after reconnecting the gauge it still shows very little if any oil pressure. So then I decided to move the fitting to the front outlet where the oil filter supply line goes. Same outcome, no pressure showing on the gauge but the gauge line does fill up slowly. It is a 120psi gauge so it doesn't show anything below 10 very well at all. It was a high idle of maybe 900 rpm with a couple of bumps of the throttle throughout the trouble shooting.

So I think tonight I'm going to pull the pressure relief on the pump and the end cap and have a look see. If nothing obvious then I will drop the pan but was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts. Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted from my end.

usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 7:30pm
I think you are on the right track...sitting for a couple years, the pressure relief is probably stuck. 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 8:08pm
Perhaps the rebuilder forgot to install one (or more) of the internal oil galley plugs. I'd blow compressed air into the oil galley and listen through the dipstick tube if it's passing directly to the crankcase!...

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 8:39pm
Sitting that long maybe there's a problem with the oil pick-up(stuck up or clogged), should get a gauge that you know works, old tractors gauges should work. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
alaskanrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Perhaps the rebuilder forgot to install one (or more) of the internal oil galley plugs. I'd blow compressed air into the oil galley and listen through the dipstick tube if it's passing directly to the crankcase!...

Lee
Very good idea, I honestly hadn't thought of that until you mentioned and after reading some other posts this seems like a potential. Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Sitting that long maybe there's a problem with the oil pick-up(stuck up or clogged), should get a gauge that you know works, old tractors gauges should work. Joe W

I thought the same, the pressure gauge was brand new (not that, that means much for a $25 NAPA gauge), however, I could visually see through the line to the gauge that the oil would slowly fill and didn't seem to have much pressure even with the gauge off and the line open.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 9:12pm
It's probably a safe bet the gauge is working then. If your getting some oil flow the pump is probably working too, I'd check the pressure relief as suggested above,( I pulled out the spring and stretched it once oil pressure jumped to 40psi) or it's not getting enough oil(pick up) Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 12:14pm
Just for grins, You did fill the oil pan with the full compliment of oil, correct? If it is very low on oil it will give these symptoms. AMHIK!

I really hope that I am wrong, but the test is easy & so is the fix.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 11:15pm
Well, the pump looked good and the relief seemed good too. Although the pump did seem like it didn’t have much oil in it. I’ll give it a test but likely I’ll be pulling the pan. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 2:24am
Yeah, just fired her up and nothing. I’ll post back after I pull the pan.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 3:35am
  Be sure to check the oil float support-to-block location for leakage. It's real common for the support to be warped by over-tightening (or maybe not "over") and the gasket can't take up the space. If air leaks in there, the pump can't pump oil. Make sure the support is flat where the two bolts hold it to the block.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 7:38pm
If I were pulling the pan to check, I'd remove the pickup screen and see if the is any crud buildup that wasn't removed when it was rebuilt.

Has it pumped enough to fill the oil filter canister?
It won't build pressure until the oil has filled it and backs up behind the orfice at the timing gears.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

Has it pumped enough to fill the oil filter canister?
It won't build pressure until the oil has filled it and backs up behind the orfice at the timing gears.

The orifice is in the canister.  BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 7:25am
I had a plug in the supply line hole. BUT! I did pull the pan. Good News and Bad news. All the galley plugs were in and the pick up was spotless, conundrum. I decided to put air through the galley while the pan was off, and frankly I wished I would have done it before pulling the pan but I forgot. Anyways, I heard massive air bleeding out in the bellhousing so I guess the rear galley plug is either missing or loose. So the good news is, I’ve located the issue but the bad news is once again I have to pull the friggin engine! Thanks for all the help so far guys! I’ll keep on posting updates.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 10:03am
Actually the best part is that you found your problem before you blew the engine.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Actually the best part is that you found your problem before you blew the engine.
That's exactly right, that being number one and number two is that I actually found the problem. I work as a maintenance planner in a gold mining mill and it seems like so often that we don't find a problem and it "fixes itself" and that's when I start to get really nervous.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by alaskanrocket alaskanrocket wrote:

Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

That's exactly right, that being number one and number two is that I actually found the problem. I work as a maintenance planner in a gold mining mill and it seems like so often that we don't find a problem and it "fixes itself" and that's when I start to get really nervous.

I HATE problems that go away on their own.... #lurking
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 8:22pm
Confused It wasn't pumping massive amounts of oil into the bellhousing? No, wait, it won't quite make it into the bellhousing, the plate will block it. It still seems there would be a heckuva oil leak.   BW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>