Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

She runs good but....oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2018 at 1:24am
Bruce,
I thought the same thing. I cant figure out why else I would hear a ton of air dumping back there? I might do a little more diagnosing tonight before I pull it, the whole thing is a little weird though.
alaskanrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2018 at 1:53am
There is one more thing that I forgot to mention. This could be huge and its been in the back of my mind to verify since this started and the more and more that I think about it, the more and more it seems like the culprit.
The block is a late M38 casting, Although the timing is chain drive. I didn't think much about it when I originally went through the engine. When I was going through a box of hardware that came with the engine I found a cam gear oiler that looked like it had been cut off with a hacksaw, which again I didn't think much about because there was a ton of junk hardware with it. So now that I put all of this together I'm starting to wonder if the "rebuilder" aka captain silicone cut it flush to fit the chain drive and the air I'm hearing is just the sound of the compressed air hitting the back of the galley or the plug. Anyways, these things I theorize rarely come true but maybe.
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2018 at 8:13am
So the M38 engine would have originally been a gear drive. If it has been converted to a chain drive, the oil jet hole in the front of the block will need to be plugged. The fact that your jet is removed altogether and sitting in a box makes me wonder if the port in the front of the engine block has been left open? Hence low pressure as the oil pours out of the open hole?

I'm thinking you need to remove the timing cover and take a look...
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 2:15am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

I'm thinking you need to remove the timing cover and take a look...

I would guess this is the case too.  Your "freshly rebuilt" block was never run after Bubba "rebuilt" it, so he didn't get the chance to destroy it. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 3:13am
You could avoid removing the timing cover (at least for now) by removing the oil line to the filter at the block and plugging the hole.
Since it is a bypass filter, you would still have oil flow, but if it has been leaking at the timing chain that would eliminate that and tell you if that is where the problem is.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 3:38am
@Bill2A, it's a gear-drive block with a timing chain.  The oiling for the gear drive is different from the oiling for a chain-drive block.  There is a fitting inside the timing cover that oils the gears directly and Bubba hacksawed off the fitting so he could get the chain in the cover, which has the effect of opening up the oil galley there, thus there is no pressure building up.  Good ol' Bubba, at it again.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 5:31pm
AH HA!
Well for once, a theory of mine was correct. It was in fact that ol bubba struck internally. Apparently the rebuilder didn't have a good understanding of the oil system, I'm mean frankly neither did I before all of this. Well, I'm pretty excited to have found the issue, or at least one major one. I think that when I was blowing air through I was just hearing the air hit the back of the galley, which would also explain why there wasn't a bunch of oil coming out of the bellhousing. Anyways, I'm going to plug it and then get everything put back together. Thanks a lot for all the help guys.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 12:23am
Is the crank in your jeep a original crank for a timing chain and has the hole bored in it to lube the chain?  I have seen one that somebody put a geared crank in a chain type motor and burned up the chain,  if I remember right it gave out after about 1500 miles.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 5:58pm
Got her fired up a few days ago. 25lbs of pressure at a high idle. Looking good. Thanks again for all the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12