Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

She said yes to a 46 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2018 at 5:58pm
Set the alignment and steering stops last night as they were WAYYYYY off. Toe was over 1" in and steering stops were still 1/4" away from the knuckle seal bolt heads when the tire tread void was AROUND the leaf spring. All good now and drives even better. Checked a few other things and took it around the block, even got it wound up to 35 mphShocked

As for the crawler, building a tube chassis from scratch(last one was 10 years old and had reached it's life span). LS motor, 4L80E, TWF t-case, links, coilovers, HP70 front, 14 bolt rear, all 40-spline. I have most of the parts either from my old buggy or what I have gathered along with a pile of tube, mainly missing a fuel system to complete gathering the large parts. Axle work is going on right now re-tubing the 14bolt to make it equal length shafts and tubing a Currie Iron RockJock HP70 to match the rear width with 05+ Ford Superduty Outers. Trans is getting built right now too. Just working on it slowly cause we just moved into a new house so been getting things the way we want them there. Hope to be wheeling it at the end of the year or beginning of next year.
Does10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Does10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Spinnas Spinnas wrote:

North Tucson/Marana.

Cool!
Oro Valley for me! But your pics are not from Marana!! Did you pic it up in Northern AZ somewhere?

Later,
Will
'48 Willy's CJ-2A
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:47pm
Awesome Will, we will have to cruise them sometime. I picked it up from Star Valley, AZ. Technically we live in the county between Marana, Oro Valley, and North Tucson, but last 2 houses were in Marana so I just keep saying Marana.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 5:19pm
Spinnas

You have a lot on your plate ! wow ...with the tube buggy and all and the new residence too. whew ... and the new 'baby' in the family, the '46.

I purchased a '46 back in December, and similar to yours, my body tub is badly corroded underneath, so I will do the similar repair as you mentioned, to go beneath and replace the horizontal hat-channels to provide adequate body-to-frame attachment and then rebuild the drivetrain.
   I just received my Solex carb-kit from Quadratec 2-days ago.

( I just looked at a Buick all-aluminum V-8 the other day ), but it needed too much work, so I passed on the purchase. The guy had broken the pistons to remove them from the block instead of soaking with penetrant, and that made me too nervous.

My wife and I purchased a "distressed" country home 6-years ago for our retirement home, and She found the home, after a 2-year search for a nice fixer to give us a low tax-base.

.... in 4-wheeling think Low-CG.

hahaha

Have fun with that new 'baby' the '46 !

Len
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:14pm
Tinkered with the little Jeep yesterday and this morning. Did an oil chang and checked/topped off the diffs, trans and t-case. They all were mostly full and oil looked decent. I’ll change the fluids when I go through each component since it’s fine for now. 

Still on a quest for stock leafs. These “Freedom Rider” springs are anything but free to move. They felt like driving an empty dump truck around and the rear had the shocks at full extension at ride height. I aired the tires down to 8psi and that still didn’t help so I pulled the bottom and middle leafs from the rear springs as they have no keepers on those. It dropped the rear a little and it rides a little better but no where near if it had stock springs. Gonna modify the winch plate and put the winch back on the front later today to help soften the front up. This is just to make it acceptable to drive around the neighborhood cause it is miserable. Next step might be to pull the shocks.

Anyone know how much these springs supposedly lift the Jeep? 2-2.5” I would guess. 
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:20pm
Finally got to modifying the removable front porch winch plate and mount that was on there when we got it. The front bumper is just a piece of C channel welded to the frame so gonna drill some mount holes into it and then use the threaded holes a couple inches back on each side of the frame to attach it. Was able to score a few original leaf springs in decent shape, but am still 1 front spring short. The front spring in the pic is not complete but I have stuff to make a full pack plus more, really only need 1 more front main leaf to have a complete set.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:48am
Bubba always did love that heavy C-channel steel for a front bumper.  My Bubba PO used 8-inch-wide channel steel.  That was a HEAVY POJ.  Thumbs Down
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:04pm

Atleast this is only a 4" c-channel bumper. It has that "stock" look to it ya know. Besides all the booger welds. LOL

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 4:10pm
Mounted back up in all of it's ancient Ramsey glory. Slowest thing I have ever used LOL

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:45pm

Re-wired the winch and put the solenoid pack on the driver's side where there was more room on the winch plate and faced the remote plug backwards. Got to atleast take it for a drive on Memorial Day which was nice and let it sit outside and get some sun.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 2:51am
Not too shabby there!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 4:23pm
Haven't been back to this post in awhile, but have been tinkering with the '46 alot. The wife keeps asking when buggy work is gonna happen LOL. Anyway, gathered a Carter WO carb, intake tube pieces along with an air horn, and an oil bath air cleaner from a 3A. Got all those on and the rig runs much much much better than before. Swapped out the old hard tires for some fresh 7.50-16 Powerking Super Traction IIs on some custom made Allied 16x6 steel wheels. Also got all the leafs swapped out for original 10-leaf fronts with 1/2" lift shackles and original 9-leaf rears with 3/4" lift shackles and a little degree shim. This took away the significant lean the Jeep had. Through some bilstein shocks on it while I was there, and now the ride is MUCH MUCH better. Fixed a couple windshield concerns like missing hardware and a stop tab to be able to run with it down without concern of it falling apart. Just got done fixing up the factory driver's side heater along with a new 12V fan motor and put that in this weekend, just need to finish the wiring. Was able to take the rig up and do some forest cruising along with my dad a couple weeks ago. Ran about 60 miles in the cool pines of Northern AZ with the wife and the pup, both of which love the old Jeep.

Edited by Spinnas - 05 Aug. 2019 at 4:25pm
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 4:56pm
Nice find. Good luck with it!
Jim
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 5:38pm
Looks great! Love the tire/suspension package Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
RustyAutoholicGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RustyAutoholicGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2019 at 7:44pm
Great looking 2A! Looking really good keep the updates coming!
1947 CJ2A #123456
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2019 at 9:36pm
Congratulations!  You are ahead of me, since you can actually drive yours around.  I have no brakes, but it rolls really well.  I had to use a bush to make it stop rolling.LOL
Teddie
CJ2A '47
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2019 at 11:11pm
Couple more pics I just ran across. One is at our wedding which of course included the Willys, and the other is his and hers. My wife drives what she calls her "Sleeper Jeeper", a 99 TJ that was a frame off build with more custom stuff than I can count. It was built for offroad navigation rallies, which she is very very good at. She said it had to look like all the other normal lifted TJs, but keep the color matched flares so people don't think it goes offroad, especially if a girl is driving it. Between these 2 vehicles and working on a new rock buggy, I stay a little busy out in the garage.

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 5:41am
Replaced what was basically a full float battery mount consisting of 2 J bolts and a piece of 3/4”x1” oak as the hold down with this:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>