Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SHIELD UNDER THE GRILL (PHOTOS)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2011 at 5:53pm
Even the late 49's had the same radiator mount, so all 2As were this way. Then with the introduction of the 3A in 1950 the mount changed to the sides. Think they bolted into the grill shroud rather than the crossmember but Bob W would have to verify that.

The crossmember shield was an option (not sure when it was first offered) and was available in conjuction with the chaff screen, together called the Brush Guard option. They kept brush and such from poking into the radiator, the chaff screen from the front and the crossmember shield from underneath. They work well for that from my experience.

It is fun to contemplate. Perhaps they offered the chaff screen first then in testing realized stuff would enter from the bottom and poke a hole in the radiator. Lefty only had the chaff screen when we got her and after roaming around in the woods some realized the danger from below. At the Fall Reunion a few years back Tony had a real nice crossmember cover and got if for Lefty. It was one of the oddball things done during Project Lefty and have been very happy with it.

Notice in the photo the holes along the bottom edge of the grill then the corresponding holes in the guard. This bolts to the bottom of the grill also keeping brush from forcing in-between. Makes it a bit harder to remove the grill and the bolts are in an awkward place to get at, but what the heck. There's also pairs of small holes along the back edge of the guard. These are for stapling in felt along the bottom, better directing air flow through the radiator. All in all a great option.  

Edited by westforkboyd - 14 Mar. 2011 at 6:16pm
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2011 at 12:45am
After checking my frames, I realized what I thought was the same hole in front cross tube was actually the pre-driiled hole for the guard.  I did discover that I have a under grill shield.  Sorry for my error but I do squirt oil into the hole I have.Embarrassed 
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2011 at 6:58pm
  Charlie Jeep, If you are wanting the shield to be like the original, you will want to install the felt seal that goes on the edge that faces the radiator.  There should be little holes where the original was stapled on.  Here is a pic of one installed.

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2011 at 12:21am
Originally posted by westforkboyd westforkboyd wrote:

Even the late 49's had the same radiator mount, so all 2As were this way. Then with the introduction of the 3A in 1950 the mount changed to the sides. Think they bolted into the grill shroud rather than the crossmember but Bob W would have to verify that.

CJ-3As before serial number CJ-3A 21656 had bottom frame mounted radiators. This CJ-3A build date would have been about April 1949. After CJ-3A 21656 the radiators were side mounted to the grille. Radiators reverted back to bottom mount later in 1949 continuing to the early 1950 model year when they changed back to side mount for the remainder of production.
slowjunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowjunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2011 at 5:55pm
Is anyone reproducing the shield(deflector) that goes under the radiator?
CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2011 at 7:10pm
Hi Guys,
thanks for your comments. I already put the felt on the deflector, but my question is what can I do with the extra felt I have on the both extremes of the defelctor ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Cheers,
Charlie
CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2011 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by slowjunk slowjunk wrote:

Is anyone reproducing the shield(deflector) that goes under the radiator?

Now that I own one I am working on that myself, the only difficulty is that nice stamped bump in the center... The rest is simple cut and fold. Stay tuned... but don't hold your breath, I am thinking next year for the first one...After the accident the other day I have way too many fires to put out to start building jeep parts right away.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2011 at 12:34am
I made a set of dies and have stamped out a few of these shields . Sold a few on ebay and gave a couple away  at the willys reunion  year before last
mogger7
mogger7
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2011 at 12:50am
Still making them? Got any for sale? Sounds like you might have a market....I'l just buy mine from you for the next jeep. Big smile

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2011 at 1:49am
I;ll look outin the shop tomorrow  .may have a couple left . If not shouldn't take much to make some
mogger7
mogger7
Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2011 at 4:54am
Hey Mogger or FBill, I'm certainly interested in one if you do these.
Aaron

Restores Coleman Gas Lanterns and Stoves.
Windmill/well pump hobbiest. (Heller Aller, Aermotor).

1946 CJ2A, basket case status.
Airboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2017 at 8:00pm
Installing radiator felt and saw the cross member shield/brush guard on this thread.  Anyone still reproducing this item?  I have the screen, but not the cross member shroud.  Thanks!
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 2:11am
great info. ..restoring a 47 that had the brush guard on the grill .. now I know what the sheet metal piece mounted on the front frame member is for!  

Thank you.
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 5:24am
I was wondering what that cover was for on mine. But mine has zero evidence of the mesh grill cover. The sheetmetal cover at the bottom of the grill has the same paint layers as the rest of the body.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 6:26am
My '47 had the mounting holes in the cross member. I found the sheet metal and a late style chaff guard that slid right on. I have not restored the chaff screen yet.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Qipp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qipp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 3:30am
I'm just about ready to put the horsehair on my shield but I can't remember which side it goes on. Does it go on the top side or bottom. I think it was on top but of course it is the one thing I didn't take a picture of
Gordon
48 cj2a 152642
Bantam T3-C 4297
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 1:37pm
Yes on top.   
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Qipp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qipp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 3:33am
Thanks Stev.
Gordon
48 cj2a 152642
Bantam T3-C 4297
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>