Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shift Cane Oddities - Is this normal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shift Cane Oddities - Is this normal?
    Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 11:45am
How many of you guys have the bent top shift cane? 

I can't find much on these, beyond having one of my own (bottom pic), and seeing this one (top) in a google-pic search.  Another member advised he'd seen them, but also didn't have much background on "where or when they'd been included in production".  Both pics are 48's, though the nice one (not mine!) has the 3-piece information plate, while mine is the single piece plate.

Kevin
Raleigh, NC
1948 CJ2A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 1:00pm
Wagons? Things with a bench seat?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Wagons? Things with a bench seat?

Exactly what I'd thought.. bench seat/granny low type design, etc.  

I don't know how these came to be on the CJ2a, unless the re-builder swapped for the wagon version?
For that matter, I don't know that these were standard on the wagons?  I'll take a look on the web...
Kevin
Raleigh, NC
1948 CJ2A
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 2:02pm
I betting a guy with a set liquid wrenches made those. They seem to be bent differently.
Jay
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 2:56pm
Naw, they used a "Smoke Wrench". I know, I have made a few of these canes myself. A pair of pipe wrenches help.

Liquid Wrench is a kind of penetrating fluid. It seems to work well, but it will not bend metal. Wink

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by cpt logger - 25 Nov. 2022 at 2:58pm
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 3:25pm
I had a 48 with one of these. The guy told me he took the original shifter heated it up and bent himself. 

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Bret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 5:03pm
Mine is like that, also a ‘48
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 6:22pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 8:42pm
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 11:50am
It is interesting that 4 or 5 guys have these, and all are 1948s. 
Jokes aside, it does seem that the changes are highly consistent in measurement and degree of bend.  Unlikely that different people, in different places would get this so mathematically representative of each other, unless there was a published bend plan/ dwg. 
Yep, interesting. 
Kevin
Raleigh, NC
1948 CJ2A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 2:46pm

My CJ2A came to me with the similar bend, but looks to be in a slightly different spot.

Problem with theory discussed in this thread is... my 2A is a fairly early 1946.  Well before 1948 and well before the Willys Trucks, Wagons that may have had this bend originally.  The date code on the casting suggests that my T90 is original to my 1946 CJ2A...

Now, the shifter may not be original to the transmission, but with the bend removed, it does have the original 2A style shift lever shape,  The shift lever style changes in 1949 to a new style, so this lever is likey an original shifter to a CJ2A and to this T90. 

Additional to my argument is that this bent version is not the lever shape in the photos I've seen on the Trucks and Wagons.

I do agree that nothing ever seems to be completely and uterly conclusive with CJ2As or CJ3As, but 
because of the information laid out above, my conclusion is that this was a "modification" to the original lever.  

It may have been discussed in some early "Popular Mechanics" artical suggesting it to be more ergonomic.  It may have shown up on someones 2A at one of the many "Jeep Jamborees" from back in the day.  Who knows for sure, but I have always considered it a mod, thus I fixed the bend on my 2A.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 4:14pm
Thanks athawk, 
I do love this group for this very reason.. most are very willing to talk and discuss the never-in-print production oddities.  My jeep came painted in "clear maple", a factory wagon color.  It's original, and either a custom from the dealer, or a direct from factory buy?  

I'll keep trying to find shift cane information - and will ask the folks with bent canes what their stamped numbers depict.  

Thanks!
Kevin
Raleigh, NC
1948 CJ2A
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 5:19pm
T90’s were also used by IH, Studebaker and others so that’s seems to be yet another possibility.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

T90’s were also used by IH, Studebaker and others so that’s seems to be yet another possibility.

Thanks Oldtime!  I'll take a look at these.
Kevin
Raleigh, NC
1948 CJ2A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 11:16pm
Officer Hawk, I'm aware that your duties with the Jeep Police are regional so I appreciate your willingness to pitch in.

The changeover date from the CJ2A curved "Transmission Control Lever" (gear shift lever) went from 642760 on 7/2/46, but the use of the CJ3A Lever  (648593) for "Service Use Only" became official on  11/5/1948.

If these odd levers began life as original equipment before modification, the manufacturer Part number "AC90-2" would be stamped on the lever on the shaft below the pivot ball.

The samples in this post have significant variations.
The first photo of the tan Jeep show an incorrect 3 part Serial plate with incorrect stamping an location. It also appears the boot is fastened around the transmission cover and the ball is exposed. There have been a rash of these reports so he has had his hands full.

I have copied Officer P. Ronie on this report.

Edited by Joe Friday - 26 Nov. 2022 at 11:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply