Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shifter Freeplay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmar45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shifter Freeplay
    Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 10:07pm
We have a 1946 Jeep CJ2A which has excessive fore-aft shifter freeplay when it is in gear.  We put a rebuilt transmission in it several years ago.  I think this is called a T-90 transmission, correct?

We removed the shifter assembly from the transmission for inspection.

We found both shift forks have some freeplay on the shifter rails (shafts).  The freeplay appears to only be along the length (axis) of the shaft, the fork does not seem to wobble it just slides on the shaft (maybe 0.050" or so).  I am guessing the the pins which hold the forks in place on the shaft are not fitting tightly.  The pins which hold the fork to the shafts are solid pins which have the ends peened over.

Is there normally this type of freeplay between the shift forks and shafts?  Are the pins supposed to prevent this freeplay, or is this normal?

Also does anyone know what the allowable specs for the shift fork pad thickness is (the part of the fork which fits in the sycro sleeve groove)?  I can't find this specification in our service manual.

Actually I don't see hardly any specifications for transmission clearances, preloads, etc.. in the service manual.  Does anyone know where to get these specs?

Sorry for all the questions.

Gene
gmar45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmar45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 10:11pm
As a follow-up to my previous post: I am new to this forum.  Did I post this shifter freeplay question in the correct section of the forum?

Our CJ2A has been in the family for over 40 years.  We are now going through the entire vehicle trying to fix, repair, and restore the jeep.  So I am sure we will have several more questions for the members of the forum.

I look forward to hearing advice from the members.

Gene
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 10:50pm
  The shifting forks should not have any fore/aft play on the shafts. Probably the pins, the shafts, and the forks have wear in them. I reckon the only repair would be to drill the holes in the shafts and forks to a larger size and install larger pins. Any wear on the pads of the forks should be evident. There are plenty of videos available on T-90 rebuilding that should answer all of your questions. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 11:20pm
The 29:00 minute mark of this video shows how to tear down the shifter. 
Written instructions at the end of this:

There are parts places that sell everything you need to rebuild yours, there are military surplus ones out there as well as completely new aftermarket units. 

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Skid Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skid Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 9:58am
I had the same issue which was causing the trans to pop out of 2nd gear. I ended up replacing the pins with roll pins, and all has been well. No drilling required in my case. 

Also how you bolt the shift tower to the case matters as there is some fore and aft play in that as well.

Edited by Skid Mark - 28 Jan. 2022 at 10:01am
heehaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heehaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 6:28am
Don't know if this will help but, just work on mine which would not stay in neutral at 1st and reverse just wanted to fall in to first. Replaced springs and poppet balls all good.
gmar45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmar45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2022 at 7:21pm
Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Bruce, is there no spec on the shift fork thickness.  I should just look to see if the wear "looks excessive"?

Micah, Thanks for the video links.  Those were helpful.

Skid Mark,  Thanks for the information.

Heehaw, I don't think my issue is the poppet ball and spring, but I will look.

On further inspection, it appears that only one of the shift forks is driven by the shift shaft.  The other fork is acted directly on by they shift lever, so the axial freeplay between that fork and shaft should not really contribute to the shift lever freeplay.  So I am starting to to think that most of the free play must becoming from the shifter tower.  I guess we will take the shift tower apart and see what we find.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gene
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2022 at 8:28pm
I think I saw specs a few days ago. I'll try to remember to check.
gmar45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmar45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2022 at 8:36pm
Joe Friday,  Thanks that would be great!  I can't find those specs in our service manual.

Thanks,
Gene
 Post Reply Post Reply