Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shop or garage lifts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 9:42am
A good head light strapped to the head or hat is invaluable. They can often be hung or positioned better than a regular flashlight when not being worn. 

I have 2 portable LED flood lights that work great. They came with stands that are easy to disconnect so they can be set high for over the shoulder light or on the floor to light from below. My wife borrowed them to paint our house interior. I also have 2 LED tube style drop lights. One is rechargeable. I hate working in the dark. 
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 12:54pm
I like my 2 post lift. Regarding vision I’ve got safety glasses with bifocals top and bottom. It saves the neck😉
CaseyWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 10:15pm
My two-post lift is by far the best invesment I have made in tools. Without it I would have to find another hobby. 20 years ago I changed brakes and shocks in the driveway with my two young sons as a father son project. I was 50 and had trouble getting around for several days.  Shortly there after I read a story about a experience stock car racer who was killed when he knocked his car off the jack stands while under it. My current project is a Utility Wagon and it has probably clocked a half mile vertically over the last year. If you have a building that can accommodate a lift it's a no brainer.
CDUB
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 6:44am
I would never buy a 4 post unless it was strictly for vehicle storage, just drive on and lift no setting up legs but they really suck to work on anything.  I have a 9000lb mohawk that you can park a car under but not a suv/truck.  Worked at a garage for years and we had both, the 4 post was strictly for oil changes and alignments or if the other bays were full someone would get stuck using, I cant tell you how many times I hit my head or had something fall on me because you cant really get into good positions to hold heavy things.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 4:51pm
  My trusses, and consequently the ceiling, were a bit low too. Eleven feet even from the floor to the ceiling. As luck would have it, the lift was just wide enough to fit outside a pair of trusses, (which just happened to be centered on the door) and high enough to just clear the bottom 2"X8" chord of the trusses. A little tricky carpentry made it work for me. I made to box long and wide and high enough to clear the windshield and open hood of a jeep, and hopefully the cab of my '70 C10. Turns out, the jeep windshield and hood do not quite reach into the box, but a jeep with a top or a roll bar will hit the door opener. Got to watch that. But as you can see, a low ceiling height can be dealt with, to a certain extent. I'm very happy with my lift.
BW

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 6:20pm
thanks for the replies. 

here is the first step:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

My trusses, and consequently the ceiling, were a bit low too. Eleven feet even from the floor to the ceiling. As luck would have it, the lift was just wide enough to fit outside a pair of trusses, (which just happened to be centered on the door) and high enough to just clear the bottom 2"X8" chord of the trusses. A little tricky carpentry made it work for me. I made to box long and wide and high enough to clear the windshield and open hood of a jeep, and hopefully the cab of my '70 C10. Turns out, the jeep windshield and hood do not quite reach into the box, but a jeep with a top or a roll bar will hit the door opener. Got to watch that. But as you can see, a low ceiling height can be dealt with, to a certain extent. I'm very happy with my lift.
BW

i see the Bulldog and Uncle Linden on the deck, who's that on the lift?
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 9:04pm
  That’s Lefty. He’s been absorbing more time and parts than was originally intended, but he’s going to make a nice jeep. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 9:34pm
Two Tan ones confused me 😬 Uncle linden and his left handed twin 😂

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2023 at 11:28am
further progress:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2023 at 12:17pm
Color me jealous!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2023 at 6:06am
Bight, what's the plan here?  I'm sure you're not just scratching around for stick time in an excavator.  

I'd like to offer some advice if you're designing/building a shop with a lift in it.  Where the lift will be, make sure your concrete floor is at least 6 inches thick. Plenty of capacity to hold any size of two-post lift.  4 inches is not enough concrete for even my small lift according to the manufacturer.  Make a plan to record EXACTLY where your rebar is in the concrete.  Try to avoid the rebar when drilling for the lift's anchor bolts.  If you're using wire mesh, it's not so critical.  If you have in-floor heat tubes like I do, it's absolutely critical you know where those tubes are in your concrete.  Have at least a 12 foot ceiling height.  14 foot is better.  I have a small 7,000 lb capacity lift and at top of lift a Jeep with a top on it just barely clears my 12 foot ceiling.  When wiring the shop, plan for 220v to power the lift.  You may want to put some electric conduit and an outlet box in the concrete near the base of each lift post. That way you can power lights without having a cord hanging from the ceiling or running across the floor.  I have a multi-outlet power cord on a reel attached to a rafter near the lift.  

Just a few early morning thoughts about things you may want to consider in your shop design.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2023 at 10:14am
mike,

thanks very much for the input. all very helpful. 

we are going 6-8 inches on concrete supposedly. 

220 already planned for welder. 

clearance is going to be tight. but if i cannot get 12ft plus a couple inches, i will go with a 2 post with the trip hazard and build something on the floor to deal with it. but it looks like my design will provide just enough clearance. 

as expected, costs are rising. every change to design to make improvements costs $$$.$$. anybody happen to know what windows and doors cost these days? it is crazy. one door costs more than an entire structure i built back in the late 70's Confused
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
AndyinTexas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyinTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2023 at 2:39pm
I believe Bend Pak brand lifts don't have anything on the floor in between the towers. The cables that sync the arms when going up and down are overhead.

The asymmetrical two post models are nice also.
"the user formerly known as oldscot"
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2023 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by AndyinTexas AndyinTexas wrote:

I believe Bend Pak brand lifts don't have anything on the floor in between the towers. The cables that sync the arms when going up and down are overhead.

The asymmetrical two post models are nice also.

The Bendpak I’m familiar with - yes, agreed. Nothing on the floor between posts. 

Side note - not all two post lifts have the cables on the floor between posts. You can get them with the tie in overhead and nada on the floor. Some will offer a stop as well. If the roof of the car contacts the stop, it will stop the lift, preventing damage. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2023 at 5:57pm
it would be nice if this sort of progress continues. 

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2023 at 6:04pm
yeup, two types of two post lifts. cables under, cables over. cables over type have e-stops. cable under has trip hazard. cables over need 12ft plus a few inches clearance. lots of quality variations. some with direct drive. 

i have designed for a specific look. may have just enough clearance for the overhead design. i can make it work with either style but prefer overhead. will see when the structure is built if i can fit that. if not, will work on a built-up floor design like mike described. 

Edited by bight - 28 Apr. 2023 at 6:10pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2023 at 7:27pm
I traded my windows for 2 more feet of wall height when I pulled the trigger on my building. Almost an even swap. A new insulated 12x14 garage door only cost me $1100 at the time. Not sure what I have in the 40 foot bi-fold door I built for the front. I’m thinking around $1500. The building itself is a standard i-beam frame 50x40 metal shop building. I really like the 14’ eve but the floor space is too small even with the 4’ wide loft(?) I built down one side and across the back for storage. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>