Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we trade our Jeeps for Corvairs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should we trade our Jeeps for Corvairs?
    Posted: 25 Nov. 2018 at 5:56pm
This is kind of a fun Chevy propoganda film for the Corvair. Off roading starts about the 2:20 mark.

Edited by smfulle - 25 Nov. 2018 at 7:45pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2018 at 6:31pm
After watching that, I think you should take a corvair on the Rubicon Trail and wheel like you wheel Grandpas Jeep
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2018 at 7:19pm
My friends mom had a solid blue 61 Corvair Lakewood Wagon that she drove us to the YMCA every week for a couple of years back in the mid 60. It was ten miles each way and we survived & never got stuck in the snow either. I also had a buddy that had a 1965 4 door sedan Corvair that we safely logged many many miles in. It was great in the snow for sure & we would also run it in the field to go to his camp as well and never flipped it. I think Mr. Nader was a bit rough on these little cars. It was not intended to be a sports car but rather an economical grocery getter. I also drove a 1988 Suzuki Samurai for four years & survived that too be cause it was driven the way it was intended to be driven. They said the Samurai would almost flip over in the driveway!
Maybe if all the distracted Americans put down their coffee, burgers, make up, newspapers and cell phones and drove their vehicles the way the designers intended, the lawyers like Nader would be a thing of the past rather than these innovative designed modes of transportation.
Our beloved CJs can get you in bad spots too if you let them but we learn to adapt and drive them everywhere don't we. Just ask Jpet, Bob W, JeepFever and grandpasjeep.
IMHO

P.S. with all that said I still don't think I would trade my CJ2A for a Corvair!

Edited by 3-48s - 25 Nov. 2018 at 7:25pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2018 at 10:39pm
I took a ride in a friend's 327 powered corvair. Once....he was a dirt track racer. Scared the crap out of me.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 3:08am
My dad had a 50s-something VW Beetle that he thought was just about unstoppable in snow.  Tall, skinny snow tires with all of the weight on the rear drive wheels isn't a bad recipe for mud or snow.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 3:16am
I read "Unsafe At Any Speed" when I was in the navy and whenever I mentioned the book to anybody, they'd always say "I used to have a Corvair and it was the best car I ever had!"  Note that "USED TO" have a Corvair...  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 11:54am
I had a Covair in high school.  Two speed automatic.  No way I was going to get in trouble, or at least my dad thought so.  Come home after playing in the snow with both right side rims bent where I had slide sideways at high speed and hit a curb.  It didn't flip, but it tipped.  Great handling car.   That was before I met my first jeep.  Great fun in snow.  

Had a buddy who had a turbo-charged convertible.  That was a blast.  I had a summer job working in an exhaust manufacturing company model shop and build him a custom stainless steel exhaust system during lunch breaks.  Being allow to build your own exhaust system was a perk of the job.

I used OEM  prototype plans and I bet that exhaust and muffler are still in that car if it is still around.

Fun memories.
Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 2:17pm
My Dad and Uncle had a Corvair that they used as a hunting car, they kept it at another uncles farm, loaded with duck decoys, like 4-5 dozen decoys.  After work they would rush out to the farm, get the Corvair and race cross country to get to the duck blinds... They had a ton of fun with that old rig, the rear mounted engine and low profile put a lot of traction on the rear wheels and made it stable enough.
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 2:40pm
The problem is that GM just didn't do enough marketing for the neat PTO attachment and all the cool farm tool attachments they designed for the Corvair.

:)
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 3:21pm
I musta missed the part in the vid with one front wheel up on the boulder and the other in the air..LOL
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

I musta missed the part in the vid with one front wheel up on the boulder and the other in the air..LOL

Not a boulder but ....

Edited by smfulle - 26 Nov. 2018 at 6:27pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 4:53pm
I have had experience with Corvairs and they did go good in the snow but steering them in deep snow was something different. I got a speeding ticket driving one to work and my buddy got the biggest laugh and said he couldn't believe that thing would go fast enough to get a speeding ticket.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 4:34pm
My second car ever was a little $100.00 '63 Corvair Monza 900 coupe....this being after I managed to grenade the 265 in my $75.00 '57 Chevy. The 'Vair served us well as a high school dating car and later to bring home our first born from the hospital. In the summer of '78 I put 700 miles a weekend commuting home from a job in Denver...we even got rear ended by an unmarked Aurora PD car on I 70 while he was chasing a suspect in a Vega. Sad... I couldn't even keep up with a Vega.

The 'Vair was a great little driver, handled well in the snow, fair gas mileage but.......(dramatic pause) there were some down sides;

Tires and alinement  (spelling courtesy of the Bear Ez-Liner) a challenge.
Heater - worked well in the summer.
Fumes - similar to any car the has a front mounted gas tank.
Maybe just me.....or my driving habits - wheel covers departing. 
Fan belt - carry a spare....or two.
Oil leaks - I have little doubt that I funded a Pennzoil plant remodel or two.
Interior - no room for the in- laws.....wait...that was a plus.
Carb(s) - yes plural....has anyone seen the syncronizer? It was just here.
And best of all.......time to pull the drivetrain!   In your driveway no less alone...using a floor jack! NEVER AGAIN.

I kept the little devil from 1969 to October of 2018....it had not run for the last 15 years......due to my neglect and it deserved better.

I'll miss her but with a 98% stock '47 CJ2A waiting to fill the garage space it was time to let her go.   Now, judging by the oil spots I am seeing from the '47, I can start funding another major refinery turnaround. Maybe I'll support Quaker State this time.

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 6:52pm
The corvair truck was cool with the bed sides that would fold down into a ramp.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 7:10pm
And you can thank them for those cute little, free flowing "Turbo mufflers" that everybody has been using for years......the Turbocharged Monza is where they came from.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 8:58pm
This one is for sale close to me, converted to a mobile home. 

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2018 at 3:17am
I was a Chevy line mechanic during the Corvair's hey-day. All that Unsafe At Any Speed nonsense was due to people not reading the manual. Front tire air pressure was 15psi while the rears were 26psi. Where it became unsafe was when people rotated the tires but never thought to readjust the air pressures. Now you've got 15psi on the rears and 26psi on the front. Any wonder the rear engined car rolled when taking a curve at speed? The front would oversteer and the soft rear tires folded under the wheel and over she went. But things got much "safer" when the Vega and Pinto came along. Wacko
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2018 at 3:19am
I believe there were even some Corvair engine powered motor homes years ago. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>