Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shower Thoughts - Trailer Take Off Concept

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shower Thoughts - Trailer Take Off Concept
    Posted: 15 June 2020 at 6:35pm
Ok, this is just for fun (nothing serious).... Wouldn't it be a cool project to build a PTO driven Bantam trailer?! I bet it would be useful for pulling heavy loads out of the woods or for one of those excursion pop-up tent things... Maybe it has been done before, I don't know? I would like for it to look as stock as possible using as much from the Bantam as I could. Not sure how well a 2A rear axle would fit under there, might have to shorten it up? I wonder what it would feel like when driving in 6x6?LOL Ok, NO more day dreaming - Back to work! LOL

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 7:13pm
Someone take away his crayons before he hurts himself!
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 8:11pm
Gear ratios would have to be figured out.  I think the Dana 41 would fit just fine.  Might as well consider a Dana 25 and add some kind of rear steering to the trailer just to make the project more of a challenge.  Put manual locking hubs so you only use it off road.  Run the PTO into a trailer mounted transfer case so the PTO driven wheels would match the speed of the Jeep.  Could be done with those effort.  

Sort of making a GAMA GOAT.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Someone take away his crayons before he hurts himself!

LOLLOL If only my fabrication skills matched my imagination LOL
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Gear ratios would have to be figured out.  I think the Dana 41 would fit just fine.  Might as well consider a Dana 25 and add some kind of rear steering to the trailer just to make the project more of a challenge.  Put manual locking hubs so you only use it off road.  Run the PTO into a trailer mounted transfer case so the PTO driven wheels would match the speed of the Jeep.  Could be done with those effort.  

Sort of making a GAMA GOAT.

Look at that thing! Upon some further web surfing, I found this for the farm industry:

They are out there....
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 5:23pm
It could be done; would need to be geared slightly slower than the vehicle and have a sprag clutch so the trailer could "catch up" to the Jeep if the Jeep slipped traction.  This is how the AWD works on an older Acura MDX.  Or a viscous coupling for the rear driveshaft like on a VW Toureg or Land Rover Freelander.  You would want to limit the torque transfer somewhat (for assist, not pushing) as a single-axle trailer would want twist the tongue upwards to pull the coupler off the ball or unweight the rear axle, further hurting traction on the rear of the Jeep.  The other trick is the rotation from the rear PTO box is reversed from the driveshaft rotation on a normal axle.  A straight-through shaft would eliminate the need to flip the housing over to get the correct rotation.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 7:45pm
Willys proposed this in a couple of different configurations on FCs. 

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 9:53pm
How about two sprockets of proper tooth count one on the yoke and they other on the trailer "jackshaft" with #60 chain between them... i took a quick shower this morn so that's my contribution, later on the throne comes into play and watch out...

Edited by jeeper50 - 16 June 2020 at 9:58pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 2:06am
In the early 70's there was an outfit in Hillsboro, OR that converted Datsun pickups to 4x4 and they had a PTO driven trailer as an accessory.  My Dad & I used to stop by the place all the time so Dad could hem & haw over it.  He ended up passing on it and bought a brand new '74 GMC Jimmy.  Which he hated.  He wanted a Bronco and I can't recall why he didn't get one.  Got rid of the Jimmy and bought a new '75 CJ5 with the brown Levi interior and the 304.  By then we had moved to Wisconsin and he didn't like the soft top through those winters.  I loved it and drove the snot out of it.  Girls taught me the value of warm cars and back seats.  CJ didn't have a chance against that.
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 2:26pm
Ah yes, toilet thoughts..... Those seem to have disappeared since I got a smart phone LOLLOL  

Good story Anvil, I like it Thumbs Up I think I read they are bringing the Bronco back this year on OJ's birthday? That me false, not sure... My first car was an 86 Bronco II, I always had big dreams of cutting the top and making it a convertible. It too was warm and the seats even folded down!
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 3:47pm
The PTO trailer would be cool. I just read an article in Hagerty about the Bronco and Ford is aiming right at the Wrangler. They said they are even considering the fancy single braking you'all talk about. Should be interesting. Maybe they should offer a PTO trailer for that.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 5:12pm
This is a neat idea!

That said, at least for me, braking is a bigger problem than traction.  I have a little camper trailer and it tends to push my jeep, especially when going downhill on loose rocks.  Sometimes I find myself trying to avoid trees the way a skier runs the gates on a slalom course.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Frogkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frogkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 6:33pm
Glad to see I’m not the only one to think of this. 

It has been done by Land Rover and Volvo for military applications. There are some videos on YouTube of a Volvo driving around a parking lot only being pushed by the pto driven trailer. Also video of it off-roading there’s a clip where you can see the trailer break traction I’ll link them when I get to a computer. 

No need for a limited slip or separate axle gears. You want the same axle ratio you’re running in you’re on vehicle then the pto just needs to be ground speed like the willys already is. 

The Volvo has a different hitch setup but I think the land rovers just used a pintle and the driveshaft went under.

One concern is running into u joint bind before being able to full articulate the trailer left to right. 

Edited by Frogkid - 23 July 2020 at 1:22am
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2020 at 10:17pm
M561 Gama Goat
US military Vietnam era.
RWILLYS (Space R)
 Post Reply Post Reply