Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single Tail light opening on T3-C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YNOTCYCLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single Tail light opening on T3-C
    Posted: 31 May 2019 at 4:59pm
Hello, I purchased a Bantam T3-C and there are a couple of questions I have not been able to get answered from my research.
1.  If my ID plate on the front does not have a serial number what would be the year +/- it would have been built?
2.  The passenger side rear tail panel does not have a hole for a tail light...only on the drivers side.  How does that work?  Where can I get a light so I do not have to cut a hole in the other side.  

Great reading all the posts...
Thanks,
Tony
M1OO
Bantam T3-C
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:44pm
Hi Tony, welcome Smile

Any chance you could post some pics?  I'm not familiar with the significance of an unstamped tag unless it's repop.  There are some detail changes as the trailers evolved that might get you close to the year.  Pics would really help, though.

Speaking of details that help, the early trailers did not have rear panels.  That said, not sure the passenger side ever had the hole for the tail light.  I think those that do were cut as you note.

Have you gone to the top right of the page here and clicked on the Bantam ID plate?  Tons of info, and a database of details of various trailers.  By comparing yours to those you may be able to narrow your date

Mike

Edited by mbullism - 31 May 2019 at 8:46pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
YNOTCYCLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YNOTCYCLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:28pm
I did notice a id plate tab called "Unknown".  I'll post some pictures this evening or this weekend.  I did find several pictures of trailers with only one taillight hole on drivers side.  The picture also mentions an arrow taillight.  I'll research some more.  Thank you.
M1OO
Bantam T3-C
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:36pm
You mean on bantamt3c.com, scrolled down the left side just above the brass tags?  TBH, I always took that as a placeholder for unknown serial number as in missing id tags, not blank unstamped tags.

There is a link there to info on the arrow tail light as well...  ----->  CLICK
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
YNOTCYCLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YNOTCYCLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:48pm
I'll post a picture that may help.  The trailer I purchased looks to be all original except  for the tires.  I only found one tag on the drivers side front /top.  Really not all that important "In the grand scheme of things" but maybe a point of interest when meeting/talking with other BT3-C owners.  

I am more interested in getting the light situation solved.  

Thanks.
M1OO
Bantam T3-C
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:02pm
gotcha... fwiw, a PO of my bt3-c had removed the rear reflectors and used those holes for a flush mount tail light
YNOTCYCLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YNOTCYCLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:10pm
This is not my personal trailer but this is what it looks like.  One hole on the drivers side only. My reflectors are currently removed but I do have them.  That seems to be the tail light that I  need and a bracket to hold it.

Edited by YNOTCYCLE - 31 May 2019 at 10:12pm
M1OO
Bantam T3-C
YNOTCYCLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YNOTCYCLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:18pm
Well, now that I look at the ID plate in the day light I see the
 number.  So now that is solved and time to move to tail light.

M1OO
Bantam T3-C
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 2:38am
Good work! 

There's a bracket on the back side of the panel.  Just a simple strap with holes for the studs and a center hole for the wires.
I did a lot of surfing on ebay to find some "look-a-like" lights.  You may also consider the Ford Model A (can be seen on the above mentioned website) which can be bought new.  to me, anything "period" from back then would look good.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 11:12am
You need to browse this site. So much knowledge about this little trailers is captured here! 

Here's a couple sections specific to tail lights: 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by YNOTCYCLE YNOTCYCLE wrote:

Well, now that I look at the ID plate in the day light ...

ConfusedLOL

Care to share the number?

Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by YNOTCYCLE YNOTCYCLE wrote:

. . .  I only found one tag on the drivers side front /top.  Really not all that important "In the grand scheme of things" but maybe a point of interest when meeting/talking with other BT3-C owners . . .  Thanks.

YNOTCYCLE:

That data tag is VERY IMPORTANT in the grand scheme of things because it shows the model name  -- T3-C -- and the original stamped serial number -- XXXXX -- for your trailer. It is factory evidence of your trailer's serial number.

If you received a title with your trailer, the serial number on the title should match the serial number on that data plate.  If you purchased your trailer outside of your state, you often must have the trailer's serial number verified by a law enforcement officer before your can get a title for your trailer from your state, and that is where the serial number is found on your trailer.  

If you did not get a title with your trailer, then use the serial number on that data plate to get a bonded title for your trailer (or whatever similar type of title your state issues for trailers without a current title). You are lucky to have that original data plate still on your trailer because they are often missing from many old Bantam trailers.

Congratulations on this wonderful acquisition, and enjoy your lovely Bantam trailer. 
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

YNOTCYCLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YNOTCYCLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 12:29am
my serial number is 4207.  
M1OO
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply