Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Siping my ndt tires.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Siping my ndt tires.
    Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 2:13pm
I know this topic has been covered heavily but I decided to play around with my tires a bit. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 3:13pm
The sipes will spread apart and be more visible when you drive on them.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 10:12pm
Cool! It’s really warm out this weekend so I’m hoping to finish the last two tires and put some miles on them! 

Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 5:25pm
Supposedly, those sipes will be a Big assist on ICEy conditions.
And may assist on slick rock too.

Being a snow skier, snow tires have heavy siping and soft rubber.

All good stuff for maxi-traction. Nice work Seth !!
( I haven't assembled my T-18 transmission yet, too many distractions ). :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 10:10pm
I finally finished the 5th tire yesterday and put some miles on it.. It was dry so nothing to groundbreaking. I was working on a friends jeep and thought this was an interesting comparison. 

On the left... My 7.50-16 on 16x5 wheels. On the right 33.12.50-15 on 15x10 wheels. Wow!!! they're"thick" as the kids are saying these days! haha :):) Dont worry these arent going on my jeep i just wanted to compare them. 

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 3:48am
That siping would potentially help with going forward or backward,  but have you given any thoughts to diagonal, or other angle, to help with sidehills,  or curves on a slippery road?

I have been running same NDT's for a little over a year,  never driven on snowy or wet roads,  but understand that they might be weak in those conditions.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 5:27am
"Cutting" tires is an old motorcycle dirt-track racer technique. Seth, let us know if you think this improves your 3A's grip with the NDTs.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 9:59am
I have been thinking about sideways traction but haven’t done anything about it. I haven’t seen anyone put a continuous groove all the way around the tire in the center of the tread....I’ve seen a lot of car tires use this... not sure how it would
Look or work?? Ron what type of siping or grooving we’re you thinking to Improve side to side traction?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 10:04am
Sure! I will keep you posted as I put more miles on these... one thing I noticed so far is that when compared to my radials they will understeer pretty predictably on dry pavement. Something to think about if you like to push your Jeep into corners. I’m looking forward to seeing how it does on a wet road. I’m guessing it will want to slide even more. I was expecting oversteer but that doesn’t see to be the case so far. 

Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

"Cutting" tires is an old motorcycle dirt-track racer technique. Seth, let us know if you think this improves your 3A's grip with the NDTs.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 4:13pm
Seth how do those big meat tires compare to your 7.50s in weight?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Ron what type of siping or grooving we’re you thinking to Improve side to side traction?

I don't have any plans to add any grooves or sipes to mine.    I rarely/never drive on wet/snowy roads.   I can remain a "baseline" when we wheel together.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply