Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Fire and Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Fire and Wiring
    Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 6:21pm
So a few months ago I accidentally had a short along with a small fire around my amp gauge. The gauge was destroyed and the wiring melted. As a temporary fix I just bypassed the gauge and connected the wires directly. The jeep runs fine but the wires get really hot. I am ready to put it back together but wanted to know the best way to handle the wiring. The wires were part of a relatively new harness and it is disappointing that it is not pristine but I am not getting a new harness. Should I just cut out all of the bad wire and splice in new stuff? What is the absolute best way to splice the wires back together and should I tape it all up to prevent any shorts. I believe i shorted it out by pushing everything out of the way to put in a new fuel gauge and an exposed wire shorted out on the body. 
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 6:41pm
Trim back the bad, and splice in new, I'd shrink wrap the repair. It's in a spot where nobody will ever see!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 6:57pm
Where can I buy wire by the foot that at least is similar to the cloth wiring.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 7:39pm
I would add to Lee's suggestion that the best splices are done with rosin core solder. Don't use acid core solder on any wiring. I would also add that you want the wire that you splice in to be at least the same guage you replace.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 7:42pm
Also make sure you are using the proper gauge wires. The amp gauge circuit carries a lot of amperage.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 8:06pm
Perhaps Walcks ?, there are many places, Google/Bing search may find a source in your area. As Others have said, Solder and use the correct gage.

Lee

Edited by Lee (MN) - 24 Sep. 2017 at 8:08pm
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 8:53pm
Yes, Walcks sells it, just tell them what you want it for and they will send the right size and color. Those wires aren't very long that run from the amp gage to the regulator and to the light switch, you could just have them made up with the terminals already on them.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 10:13pm
here ya go

https://brillman.com/shop/   cloth covered wiring just like original. My son used this on his 65 Triumph bike.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 11:10pm
Thanks
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 1:07am
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

here ya go

https://brillman.com/shop/   cloth covered wiring just like original. My son used this on his 65 Triumph bike.

John Brillman is the way to go.  Tell him what you need and he will sell you the correct cloth covered wire with the correct color tracer and everything.  Even supply or tell you how to correctly splice it in.

They are rebuilding my starter, generator, distributor and voltage regulator right now.
Looking forward to picking them up soon.
Tell him you saw his name mentioned on the CJ2A page and he will take care of you.
He will treat you right regardless but he always likes to hear where his new customers found out about him.

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 2:59am
Had just had a similar incident in our 54 Greyhound, if you can't get the insulation to come off the wire when stripping it, you need to cut farther back.

If the copper wire inside the insulation is blackish, you really need to replace the wire. The resistance will be higher than normal and heat the wires up.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply