Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Scale Market Farming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Scale Market Farming
    Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:12pm
Over the past 3-5 years I have started to build myself into a small scale market farmer.  I did not grow up in a farming community so I am learning as I go.  Of late I have been attacking this with a two pronged method.  

In one spot am working a quarter acre patch for potatoes, corn, squash and pumpkins.  This is the first year I am partially mechanized on that field, tractor mounted tiller, planter, cultivator, hiller, harvester (planter is for corn, harvester is for potatoes.)  The other patch is a 1500ish sq ft area where I grow most of my household vegetables.  On that patch I have gone deep vintage.  I use a 1900ish planet jr two wheel hoe, and a midget seeder of the same era.  I did the initial tillage will my 1980 troybilt pony tiller.  I can tell you, I enjoy both systems.  

For the big field, which will continue to grow till I reach about 1-1/2 acres of cultivation and I need to do some more capital investment in equipment. Man alive, does the low-tech mechanization make larger production easier.  My JD 71 flex planter does a great job with the corn.

Working the smaller patch with the planet jr two wheel hoe is an arm builder, but it clears the weeds perfectly and silently.  The midget seeder is decent.  It is not spectacular accurate as a seeder, but it gets the job done for essentially any size seed.

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:58pm
Yum. Fresh food.  Have fun
Mike in AZ
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:19am
Nothing like some antique equipment.  And watching your work grow. What are you using for a tractor?
krawlin5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krawlin5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:36am
Would love to do this good luck.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 4:28am
How do you sell your product?  

Your title caught my attention,  because I had an experience today that seems similar.

I normally do a small garden each year,  and would get my plants near where I work,  from a big box store Ouch.   I have been "sheltering at home"   . . .  so a few weeks ago,  looked for something closer.     My wife suggested that I might try a stand a few miles away from us,  on the "main road" thru our county.     I went there and found that they had some really nice plants at very reasonably prices.

I went there again today to get some more plants.    Long story short ->  this stand is run by a family who lives about 3/4 mile from us. Shocked 

We live on dead end road,  and occasionally I drive my '2A to the end and back.   The scenery has changed over the years,  and noticed in past couple years -> a HUGE vegetable garden.   In talking with the girl working there today,   I found out that is their garden  . . .   we are practically neighbors.    They sell plants from their greenhouse this time of year,   and those vegetables, when in season.

I am going to be a customer of theirs from now on.

I guess my point is ->   if you are not selling everything you grow,  somehow you need to "get the word out",  because I bet there are a lot of people close to you, who would prefer to buy from you.

edit:  oh yeah   . . .   I was thinking I might get to end of your post and see M38 pulling some kind of farm implement. LOL

Edited by JeepFever - 26 May 2020 at 4:31am
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 10:39am
Originally posted by NCtoy NCtoy wrote:

Nothing like some antique equipment.  And watching your work grow. What are you using for a tractor?
My tractor is actually new, only has 81 hrs on it.  It is a Kubota B2601.  For really big stuff I use a neighbors JD 5420, which is an over 5000# monster. 

I sold my 1992 Honda 6522 a couple years ago because I couldn’t get any parts for it anymore.  Honda dealers had basically never seen one, so they were of no help either.  Just getting the correct oil filters was getting to be a challenge.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

How do you sell your product?  

edit:  oh yeah   . . .   I was thinking I might get to end of your post and see M38 pulling some kind of farm implement. LOL

I am really just getting started into selling this year.  I have location that is conducive to it.  In past years I have preserved tons of stuff.  I am still eating my canned beans and carrots from 2018.

I need to put in a greenhouse.  My house starts to look like little shop of horrors starting in February with endless plants started inside.

As I said above, I am just really getting started.  I will be transitioning careers in the not so distant future and that will allow me the time I need to run it as a business.  Until then, I am using the time to learn and make mistakes.  

I have thought about putting a pto on the M38 to do hay work as it only needs a draw bar for most of those implements. 
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:20pm
Put that M38 to work on your farm! Adding a draw bar and rear PTO put the "Universal" in the universal jeep...
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:47pm
We have a small garden each year (maybe 15x15 feet). I till it with our 1970 JD 140 with a model 31 tiller. Nice thing about the 140 is there are parts available and info online. We've had ours for 22 years. I recently bought new tines for the tiller and installed them.  
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:02pm
I've never been a gardener type. I got home from work, put my crap away and go out to help him get his rototiller going. They gave veggies they took applies from my trees. Good trade.
john
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:28pm
I've got about a .5 acre planting of berry bushes, but I can't get the deer to stop messing with my crops. Been in the ground for 2-3 years and I have never got a yield out of them. I've tried spray, soap socks, decoys, and with negative results. Thumbs Down

Edited by IRQVET - 26 May 2020 at 9:31pm
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by IRQVET IRQVET wrote:

I've got about a .5 acre planting of berry bushes, but I can't get the deer to stop messing with my crops. Been in the ground for 2-3 years and I have never got a yield out of them. I've tried spray, soap socks, decoys, and with negative results. Thumbs Down

Try unsweetened grape koolade. Mixed strong in a garden sprayer it smells fruity but is bitter as hell. non-toxic too.. I use it in my small orchard to deter birds, dont see why it would not work for deer-bitter is as bitter does..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 10:22pm
Another time I came home from work, somebody had stripped all of the apples. Nothing I can do.
john
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Try unsweetened grape koolade. Mixed strong in a garden sprayer it smells fruity but is bitter as hell. non-toxic too.. I use it in my small orchard to deter birds, dont see why it would not work for deer-bitter is as bitter does..

Except deer love acorns, lol.  We were at wits end trying to keep them out of our hostas.  The deer and rabbit spray has worked very well... putrescent egg solids and cayenne pepper amongst other stuff, but once it dries is basically odorless.  HAS to be applied every two weeks.  Miss by a day they will make you pay, lol.  Have never used it on vegetables, but all around the garden and on close by ornamentals... they say it can be washed off, fwiw.

The other thing that works well is and "invisible" fence of common fishing line.  They can't see it in the dark, and don't like the resistance from something unseen.  I protected my wifes garden an entire season with nothing but tee posts and a spool of 8lb test line wound around spaced 8-12" apart up to about to about eye level.  They don't attempt to jump it because they can't see how high they need to go to clear it...YMMV
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:21am
What I have found works is a double fence. The deer can jump into the space between the fences, but then they can only jump over the outer fence. Our fences were set 4' apart & only 5' high. Worked well. 

When I have a garden next year, I will enclose about 1/2 acre with a new double fence.

I may try the fishing line trick. Does it work in the day time? My deer are always in my field, morning, noon, evening, & night time.

Edited by cpt logger - 27 May 2020 at 12:26am
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:31am

Two words:

electric fence!!!

They were a wonderful invention.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:38am
mbullism Deer LOVE hostas, you cant keep them out. Kinda like us and jeep parts. if you live in the country maybe you should consider the deer as your yield...

Edited by jeeper50 - 27 May 2020 at 1:40am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:09am
Planted 5, 150 ft rows of Indian (Flint) corn this afternoon.  Took about 10 minutes with the JD 71 planter.  I need to plant my last row of late season potatoes this week.  I also need to put in my pumpkins and winter squash.  

Took stock of my mostly unsuccessful apple tree bench grafts that are growing in the garden.  I decided to plant the unsuccessful ones too and try again on them next next spring. It was my first attempt at bench grafting this year, learned some good lessons. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>