Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sniper FI on a Model A Ford?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sniper FI on a Model A Ford?
    Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 12:00am
I am the proud owner of a ‘28 Model A Roadster Pickup as well as a ‘48 CJ2A. I have seen a thread on here as well as a YouTube videos about the installation of The Sniper on the L134. I am exploring the possibility of installing the Sniper on the Model A and am hoping to crossover some of the info from the Willys installation. I called Holley tech support and first they told me that it wouldn’t work because the Model A uses a magneto (that is incorrect, the Model A uses conventional breaker point distributor with coil) after that, I was told that the lowest horsepower the Sniper had been designed for 75. Now I know already that the stock L134 is 60 HP and the Sniper seems to work fine with that. Model A motor is 200 cubic inches and stock is 40 HP but it is strangled by a crazy small carburetor (which the Sniper would of course cure) and a compression ratio of 4.9:1 they really wake up with a “High Comression” head 6.5:1 or 7:1 being most common. I think that it is pretty safe to say that with the Sniper and High Compression head the Model A motor would be at least 60 HP. It has also been pointed out that the Model A piston rings at best are not too great and possibly oil in the exhaust might cause problems air/fuel sensor. For those of you who may not know, a Model A uses an updraft carburetor and tech support says the Sniper can only be used in a down draft application but this is not a problem because down draft manifolds are readily available (Webbers and Stromberg 97s being the most common carburetors used). Thoughts anybody?
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 2:39am
My Cousin Steven Serr may have a answer for you. He has been in the A & T arena since the late '60's He now has 2 style of high performance heads and other cool stuff for A's.   Just say Jim Serr sent ya....and hope he won't hang up. LOL

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 7:55am
Not really sure why you would take one of the simplest designed cars to ever hit the American road and complicate it with electronics 😂 your money and your time, have fun with it!…

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 11:43am
It'll work just fine. I've seen videos of a guy who installed one on a Farmall Cub (updraft), another guy on a small forklift, etc. Sniper will work pointed in either direction since it's a fuel Injector and not a carb bowl with float. 

Some of the tech support guys are extremely knowledgeable and sometimes you'll talk to someone that's never installed one. Just luck of the draw like anything else. Keep us updated if you install one!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 12:55pm
I have read and followed a couple Holley Sniper single barrel EFI swaps onto Willys 134's and While drivability did show a little improvement no one has reported any real HP gains as compared to a well adjusted Carter.

I may have missed something.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

Not really sure why you would take one of the simplest designed cars to ever hit the American road and complicate it with electronics 😂 your money and your time, have fun with it!…

Lee

X2! 👏 BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 1:30pm
I am not doing this in search of more horsepower this is about driveability (the stock Zenith carburetor leaves a lot to be desired) That said, I do believe that the swap will produce some horsepower because the stock carburetor is just too small it only has a 1” throat for 200 cubic inches. It is very common to swap to a Stromberg 97 or even 2 Stromberg 81s. Webber carburetors are also very common. But in the end I think this is more about fun than anything else,
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I have read and followed a couple Holley Sniper single barrel EFI swaps onto Willys 134's and While drivability did show a little improvement no one has reported any real HP gains as compared to a well adjusted Carter.

I may have missed something.

You did. Nobody is swapping to EFI for horsepower gains, only driveability gains. Driveability showing "a little improvement" is a vast understatement, it completely transforms the driving experience into one that's smooth, predictable, and in my 1 year experience completely reliable. A well adjusted carb will never outperform a solid EFI install. If it did, manufacturers like GM wouldn't have dumped carbs in favor of tbi 40 years ago.

Not ranting - just preventing misinformation.

Edited by Nick_ - 17 Nov. 2022 at 10:59pm
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2022 at 9:11am
SO are you reporting HP gains? As I mentioned the diveability improvements.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2022 at 11:25am
NO, he is not! He is clarifying that there is little to be gained horsepower wise it’s about driveability. Nick has quite a few videos on YouTube under the name Turn n Burn. If you have not been watching them you should, there are at least 2 that are specifically about the Sniper install a testing.

I personally think that I will probably see some gains on the Model A because it is 200 CI not 134 and it has an it’s bitty carburetor. A common swap is one Stromberg 97 or two Stromberg 81s or a Webber (such as you are using) all 3 swaps produce some pretty good power gains, the potential is there.
bikernks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikernks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 7:10pm
Long time reader, first time commenter, haha.  I'm very interested in this thread, as my two projects right now are a 48 CJ2A and a Pietenpol Air Camper - a homebuilt 2-place airplane powered by a Model A.  I would be very interested in seeing what kind of HP and torque improvements you get out of a Sniper on a Model A.  
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 9:00pm
I also have a 48 CJ2A and a 28 Model A and have been looking into installing a Sniper on the model a but it’s a significant investment and has not reached the top of the priority list quite yet but I’m doing the homework.
 Post Reply Post Reply