Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So this thing shows up in the driveway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So this thing shows up in the driveway
    Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 11:18pm
SO what does your Daughter mother of 2 buy herself when she finally get back control of her finances from her controlling husband? She never asked me. She's pretty stoked the last rig she had was a Grand Wagoneer.And that was at least a 1/2 dozen years ago.

Its got a bunch of girl bling on it. And its just high enough she can still get in it. A 4'11' that was a consideration.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 12:05am
Proud Papa Clap It’s not easy getting back on your feet, looks like a really nice ride!! 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 12:58am
She's a Triage Nurse for a big Pediatric Clinic and makes very good money. And after listening to her gripe about things we finally we got her to stand up to the Husband and this is just one step. He's not a bad guy just to controlling. If he was a bad guy they would still be looking for him if you get my drift LOL!

The silly thing has rhinestones on the steering wheel the head rest posts and other places. It was obviously a womans Jeep prior. She got a very good deal on traveling over the mountains to get it from Bend OR. it has the 3.6L engine and I am VERY glad I won't be working on it. Can't see the ground from looking in the engine compartment THAT'S JUST WRONG.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 1:30am
even if it had diamonds in it it would only be worth a fraction of Chug. whaddaya got in Chug by now pushing 200K? (parts, custom parts, and labor) it is going to be tough to insure. some of us are in awe.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 3:10am
Neat looking rig, I always liked those. 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 6:38am
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

even if it had diamonds in it it would only be worth a fraction of Chug. whaddaya got in Chug by now pushing 200K? (parts, custom parts, and labor) it is going to be tough to insure. some of us are in awe.

Your funny In outside labor I have

Engine machine work and gear box building around $1100.00 (I traded a 1/2 a pickup load of gear box parts to Richard Darr for the labor on my gear boxes those parts came to me for free helping someone move out of his house in a hurry)

Rear Axle assembly $250 done by the best shop in the whole area CASH MONEY deal.

Tires mounted and Balanced $125 (going to have to have them all rebalanced as the stick on weights they used aren't staying sticked on !!!!)

Frame sand blasted $75 (Had some Young guy working out of an old chicken coop do it)

Some frame welding say $75 with buying lunch and him a tube of welding rod I redid most of it when I got my welder but it was a buddy who wanted to help

If you take out all the money I wasted on stuff that isn't going to end up in CHUG and miss directions on custom stuff I doubt that I have more then $18,000 cash into the Build. I have a huge advantage in that I can do almost everything myself and most of the custom stuff is made from stuff I already have in my shop (I am a terrible pack rat when it comes to raw materials).

Her Jeep is a 2012 she paid $25K My Jeep is a 1948ish and I have about $20K in it if you include tools bought specifically for it.

My plan is to have it appraised by Richard Darr at Washougal Classic Jeeps (the closest thing to a Jeep expert anywhere around) and then insure it for about 20K agreed value unlimited use.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 6:48am
you are leaving out the custom parts, labor, and the value of your ingenuity. so my guess is pretty close.

oh, and the time sharing your experience and helping us learn a few things.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 4:48pm
OH labor is free didn't you know that. I mean what else would I be doing watching TV LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 5:18pm
free labor. yup. TV? whats that? they still make those?

i also left out the untold hours of research and thinking you (and jpet, millennium falcon, nofender, metcalf, oldtime, and many others here) contribute to your own projects and share with us to encourage us to get off the couch, think, and do something ourselves.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 10:21pm
Where I come from, it's called sweat equity!!Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 10:30pm
Maybe some nice steps will help getting in and out.... I’m not really up on what is out there. I do like steps that retract up, that seems like a useful feature.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 11:43pm
ggordon49 she has no trouble getting in and out of it. She told me today her over 6ft tall husband has more trouble. But then she was also in Gymnastic's as a kid. She did two full tumbling runs on the dance floor at her wedding. Never seen that before and I used to photograph weddings LOL. She can throw her leg over the side wall on Chug better then I can. I have no idea yet what its going to take to get the wife in and out of CHUG. (a friend said to just drive off and leave her until she figures it out, Yes he's single LOL)

I been planning some sort of removable step that uses the rock sliders as a base.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2021 at 12:00am
God bless her.... sometimes getting in and out of my “small” JEEP my foot gets snagged and I do a studder step... I almost fell really bad today... I borrowed my mother-in-laws truck today to move a snow blower... the tailgate has a safety cable that connects from tailgate to the bed, it’s black and difficult to see... Well I didn’t expect that and almost face planted on the driveway when unloading. It will be interesting to see what you come up with for your design. 
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2021 at 4:01pm
Chuck,

Isn't that the truth  !!     _ _ _ the "Fistful of Dollars" right !!  _ _ _ and Gobbs of Hours.

As i am working on cleaning filthy grime encrusted and rusty parts hour after tedious hour, it would be so much easier to drive down and pay $26k for a turn-key vehicle.    hahaha
But for most of us a willys restore is a labor of love, and something to do in our 'spare' time.

For the hours devoted to just parts cleaning and paint prep,  if i were earning a wage for all hours, i could probably pay cash for a new Gladiator base.

Mark,

That 4-door wrangler of your daughter's has good departure angles with some Bling-to-Boot.

I was visiting with a guy outside of Home Depot in spring of 2020 who was driving a new Gladiator.
Upon asking him what he thought of it, he said it was a "Loaner" and a "POS."   Upon asking what he didn't like about it, he said the Gladiator didn't ride as nice as his Ford Super-duty.   Amazing how some people compare one vehicle to another.   We all know that off-the-pavement, that Gladiator will run circles around that big Ford Super-duty.   He was comparing apples to oranges.   And, his Super-duty was in the shop for repairs, is why he chose to try out the Gladiator.

_ _ _ what will show up next in the Driveway.    hahaha
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2021 at 3:38pm
Nice looking Jeep, and your daughter looks very happy in front of it.

Throughout the history of the Jeep they have kept getting bigger. These new ones are huge compared to a flat fender Jeep. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2021 at 4:47pm
Mark, I don't know whether to congratulate your daughter or send my condolences.  My wife and I have a 2012 Rubicon unlimited and while it isn't the worst vehicle I ever owned (a 1990 F 150 has that honor), it is next to the bottom.  Just all sorts of stuff went to crap before 50k miles, axles seals, temperature sensor, O2 sensors, cam position sensors, PS pump, tie rod/drag link, brakes, leather upholstery, a transmission that pops out of gear, and bunches of electrical issues.  It was in on warranty 23 times.  Probably not an issue with your daughter, but the 3.6 absolutely sucks off road.  Torque is non existent below 1500 rpm and really not very usable until 2000 rpm.  That sort of makes the 76:1 CR a completely worthless number.  And one is lucky to get 16 mpg-2 mpg worse than my 13 2500 HD (6.0) which is a much more pleasant experience to drive and weighs another 1500 lbs.

The bottom line is I want nothing more to do with anything fiat breathed on and fully expect to be driving a new Bronco in a few months.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2021 at 6:17pm
I'm guessing her Jeep has enough miles on it to be past the factory problems As to off road This thing might do some forest service roads and some trips into the snow but serious crawling I seriously doubt it. As to the Mileage yea she says she's getting 16 running around which is fine for her. She works at home 80% of her friends and family are right here in town (within 10 miles) so I doubt she will be burning a lot of fuel.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2021 at 7:00pm
Replacing the proven straight six was the biggest mistake they've made IMO, the main reason I've resisted trading in my '04. Would really like to step up (no pun intended) to that larger door opening and resulting convenience but won't because of the V6.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>