Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So who knows jack?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So who knows jack?
    Posted: 14 May 2021 at 7:25pm
Found this at an auction. A little scrubbing, had to bend a few parts, and it lifted the front end, no problem.
So I've read what I could find, but there wasn't much out there on cj2 jacks-and most of the pictures are no longer available. This looks like the MB jack, but it also sounds like this would be correct for a cj2. There was a similar jack at the auction with a square base, but that went a little higher (and I figured I didn't need to corner the market, someone else might have needed it more than me). 
So what do you think-correct jack for a cj2? Close??
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 7:27pm
Also got this, thought it was a Blue Point, but can't make out the markings

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by 48walker 48walker wrote:

Found this at an auction. A little scrubbing, had to bend a few parts, and it lifted the front end, no problem.
So I've read what I could find, but there wasn't much out there on cj2 jacks-and most of the pictures are no longer available. This looks like the MB jack, but it also sounds like this would be correct for a cj2. There was a similar jack at the auction with a square base, but that went a little higher (and I figured I didn't need to corner the market, someone else might have needed it more than me). 
So what do you think-correct jack for a cj2? Close??

Nice find! That is correct for CJ2A/CJ3A.
Also nice score on the rear hub puller if yo didn't pay to much.
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:40pm
Yes, that is the correct style jack. It was manufactured by SPUN STEEL in Canton Ohio.
The green paint suggests it was CJ5 or C101 Jeepster IF I recall correctly.

The one with the square base was not a Jeep application.
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 6:16pm
$13 each. Looks like the puller is a snap-on, so better quality than I deserve.
The green is kind of an odd color for the jack but it sure looks like original paint. I'm assuming it's late 40s-early 50s, so should be correct enough for a 48. I don't have many NOS  parts that aren't worn out or shot, nice to have another old part that works. 

That's interesting about the square jack not being for a jeep, it's pretty much the same jack except for the base, wonder if it came as standard equipment for another car and which one. 
All the jeepster and cj5 jacks I've seen are scissor jacks, so I don't think it would go with them, but what do I know. Just happy to have saved it from the scrap pile, it was kind of hidden among the other jacks in the auction lot picture, so not sure anyone else bidding would have saved it.
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 6:31pm
Sorry Joe Friday, I shouldn't have doubted. The Kaiser Willys  website is selling a repop version that they advertise as a jeepster and cj5 replacement.
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Yes, that is the correct style jack. It was manufactured by SPUN STEEL in Canton Ohio.
The green paint suggests it was CJ5 or C101 Jeepster IF I recall correctly.

The one with the square base was not a Jeep application.

What would the correct color be for a 2A? 3A?
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 7:01pm
I know Jack Daniels, he is my friend... LOL
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:14pm
With friends like Jack Daniels who need enemies
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:44pm
I'm guessing based on the note below that the metallic green was 1962-1971. Paint it OD and it worth more...
DesertDog48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:55pm
I just sandblasted and painted my original jack for my 48 and I'm pretty sure it was black or a real dark grey.. Wish now I would have paid more attention. I repainted it black. I'm sure if it wasn't I would have tried to match it. I'd bet money (at least 2 cents) mine wasn't green!Thumbs Down
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:04pm
Also, anyone have a picture of what the original handle looks like. I'm guessing it was a combination handle with a pry on one end and maybe a 45deg.bend with a lug nut socket on the other???
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 3:32am
Not a pry, just a round cutoff, and the handle was a 90 degree not 45.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 6:00am
I once woke up and thought I may have gotten beat up by Jack Daniels.
Felt like I was hit with a black jack...or maybe a Canadian Club. Wink

I guess this means the little black screw jack that was in the tool box when Dad bought the Jeep was not original. It's had me fooled for about 65 years. I always thought it must be original since it fit nicely in the tool box and was just big enough to not fall through the rusted hole in the bottom.
1946 CJ2A 14098
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:49am
Well that's a little disappointing, thought it was at least close to 1948. Still appreciate the education.
Is that a build sheet, or a factory document in your post? I don't remember seeing anything like that before.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:52pm
So I reread thru here but don't see where we found the original color in the 48 vintage jack. I don't want the Willys police putting me in solitary!ConfusedThumbs Down

Edited by DesertDog48 - 19 May 2021 at 8:06am
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 4:00am
That was the title block for changes to the original Jack Engineering Drawing.
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 6:58pm
Ok, I'm impressed-you found the engineering drawing for the jack? Wow.
DesertDog, I have no idea on correct color for a cj2 jack. If I had to guess, seems likely black would be the likely color, but nothing more than a guess. So no help.
 Post Reply Post Reply