Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soft top bows for a 3A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft top bows for a 3A
    Posted: 14 June 2019 at 11:41pm
I'm planning to order a Summer Full Cab Bikini Tonneau Top from Beachwood Canvas for my '53 3A. This is essentially a full length bikini top that will keep the sun off passengers in the back seat as well as the front. They have sent me some fabric samples and I am getting ready to place my order. 

Here's my dilemma: I don't have soft top bows. I've been researching my options and they are all over the place: 
  • Beachwood sells 3A bows, made in the USA. But a full set is $795. Shocked
  • Kaiser Willys has a set of 3A bows, made in the USA, for $475.
  • Walck's lists 3A bows for $295, but they have been on backorder for 2 years now. Sleepy
  • Omix Ada sells 3A bows which are available from a ton of sellers for less than $200. But I have heard from more than one person that quality is not great and they may need to be cut down to fit correctly. 
Anyone have recommendations? I don't want to be cheap and buy crappy parts, but there is a wide range of options and they are confusing. 

Matt F. in Colorado - 1953 CJ3A, mostly stock
New forum: International Flat Fender Club
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 9:34pm
My experience with the Omix Ada bows is that the sections don't fit together.  Perhaps they just need to be worked over with a flap sanding disk on a 4" angle grinder.  If you are handy and are willing to do the work perhaps you can make them work.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Dlonghd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlonghd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 11:19pm
Did you end up getting a set of top bows?
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 3:38am
I just ordered a set of Omix Ada top bows from Kaiser Willys. I haven’t installed them yet, but my initial impression is mixed. 

They seem okay fit and finish wise, but my too gripes so far is that the rods that attach to the windshield do so in a different way than the factory ones do so you either have to modify your windshield brackets or chop your top bows and weld in a threaded section at the end. The second issue is they don’t come with any hardware or instructions.

I’m considering sending them back to Kaiser Willys and ordering a set of the US made ones judging by the pictures do attach in the factory manner. 
Hulk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 7:50pm
I bought the $475 US-made bows from Kaiser Willys. They just arrived so I haven't even installed them yet. It's a mixed set: some of the bows are painted black and other parts are raw steel. 
Matt F. in Colorado - 1953 CJ3A, mostly stock
New forum: International Flat Fender Club
 Post Reply Post Reply