Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soft top window replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft top window replacement?
    Posted: 08 June 2022 at 2:15am
The windows on my soft top are shot. When I got the jeep from my grandpa they were all worn out and yellow. I cleaned them up enough to get by but after a few winters now they have gotten cracked and the driver side zipper for the window has actually torn. The material for the top is in great shape and I don’t want to spend $1,000 for a whole new top. Can anyone point me towards a good “how to” for replacing the windows? 
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 12:23pm
The windows held in by zippers can be replaced by any shop that makes/repairs tops.  Even some upholstery shops could do it.  All that's happening is replacing a zipper and sewing that to vinyl or the plastic window is straightforward.  The problem with doors is the frame.  I've even been told by some they won't do doors because of the frame.  

The windows on the sides, at least as I've been told, are difficult to replace since that process - where it would look the same as the original - can't be duplicated in most shops.  I haven't checked in some years to see if there's businesses out there that have solutions.

My windows have also gone bad (brittle, discolored) and to me, the fix needs to be easily duplicated, as you won't necessarily want to pay lots to a high-end shop that can do custom work.  So, relatively easy and cheap.

I've been batting around this same idea for years and when the time is right for me to get the top fixed, I think this is one very doable fix (the trick will still be finding the right shop that is willing):

For the doors, cut the loops holding the fabric to the frame.  Replace them with velcro flaps.  Alternatively, a pocket at the bottom and velcro loops top/sides.  Fix the window while it's off the frame and future repairs, of any kind, will be easy since you just remove the frame to get it out of the way.

The side windows would need to be cut out and after fixing the hole with piping or some clever needlework to clean it up, attach velcro to the inside and overlap the replacement window with velcro on it.  Then the window can either be removed for ventilation or replaced easily.  The velcro isn't there to be pulled off and reattached continuously.  That wears it out.  Using velcro to hold the side windows in would also allow for more potential leakage. 

Maybe this technique gives you more ideas that may work.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
ajax25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 1:15pm
Hmm that’s a good point about the zipper. Honestly if I could just replace the window on each door that would make a huge difference. I typically only use the top during fall/winter hunting season up in the mtns and would like to be able to see out of those windows better and be able to zip them open or closed based on the weather. There shouldn’t be any door frame work they are in excellent shape. It seems that I should be able to just cut out the old vinyl and sew in the new video vinyl and zippers on the doors. What about the bottom of the window? As far as I can tell it appears to be glued to the material not sewn. I’m assuming that if I can get that to come off without tearing then I could just see that in as well? Or maybe do a zipper the entire way around the window so I can literally zipper off, they tend to be in the way when unzipped and folded inside the door anyway. Hmm now ya got me thinking. 
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 1:28pm
What I meant about the door frames is that those I've talked with won't do doors because their machines won't reach over the frames.  Therefore, removing the fabric from the frames means now anyone that sews vinyl, zippers etc. can do the repairs.

From what I've been told (I admit, it's dated and things may be different) is the gluing (melting or whatever it is) is difficult.  Even if done, it could pull apart.  Sewing is what I having across the bottom of the door windows and across the top of the rear window.

If only the zippers need replacing on your door windows(assuming you remove the door frame to make sewing easier), then just sewing in a new zipper should be workable.  I'm needing all my plastic windows replaced.

Getting the brain juices flowing was the intention.  GL
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
ajax25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 1:57pm
Ohh yeah that makes sense. I’ll have to look at it and see how difficult it would be to get it off of the frames. 
 Post Reply Post Reply