Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solex Carb Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solex Carb Questions
    Posted: 21 June 2018 at 1:29am
1. Do you use the same gasket under the solex as you use on the Carter to prevent heat
transfer from the manifold into the carb.  If you do does the vans on the gasket effect
how the solex will work or do I need to remove the metal vortex vans.

2. As for the linkage connections, is there any problems I need to know about for this change?

3. I have a holley pressure reducer and it has one inlet port and two outlet ports. One will
be connected to carb and other I will use to check the fuel pressure on the setup and it will
be capped after the pressure is set to 1.5 psi.

4. Is there any other things I may need to know about installing the solex and setting it up.

RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 3:31am
The Carter choke cable will go to the cable fitting that operates up-and-down (it rotates the enrichener lever on the back).  The throttle pull cable goes into the fitting that will pull on the throttle (obviously).  The throttle linkage will also be pretty self-explanatory.  I left the vortex thingy in place and the thick gasket too, although I also used a regular gasket.  Like I've said, it worked well for around 15 years.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 3:40am
Yes, pretty easy setup. I've been running one for about a month.  Can't say how it compares to my Carter as that was in need of a rebuild. When I get it back I can let you know. Ask for the solex, it installed easy enough, only issue I had was it sticks at the opening of the throttle.  I'm debating whether it's worth the hassle to exchange back with Summit Racing.  I'm assuming and have been told they are not all like that so I just got up um model which is apparently not uncommon.
Regardless, I just had to put a little extra spring in the system, and it runs beautifully.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 1:18am
   Help ! ___ i'm sinking.   hahaha

Hey while we are on the Solex topic, that just happens to be what is on my '46 2A L134. I don't like it because the screws with tapered heads for the accel pump cover bottom out in the holes. The gaskets from Quadratec, apparently are of Chinese mfr., and don't fit properly.
   The idle circuit seems to not be working properly, but the fuel enrichener seems to be working.

Question -   I am not finding a check ball for the inlet to the Accel pump !
And the info that I have found so far on the 'net' shows an inlet check ball.
Even the Solex carb-kit from Quadratec did not have any check-balls.
   I must be missing something here with this weird carb. It reminds me of the worst of the worst that you could buy from Harbor-Frieght.

Could someone lend a hand and attach a helpful link to a good schematic with tuning procedure's ?

The jeep came with this carburetor, which appears to be a recent install of maybe the last 10-years.

And maybe a link to a good place to consider maybe a Carter YO if I decide to change-up from the Solex.

I have not yet checked the pump pressure, but it does not seem to be flooding over either. If I keep I running off-idle, then it will run long enough to such a soup-can of gas dry.
   Two weeks ago, I pulled the tank, and of course when I knocked off the rust balls on the bottom then holes appeared.

I am open to suggestions on a good place to buy a fuel tank too.

thanks guys !

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 2:14am
Len, I think the check ball to which you refer comes as part of an assembly.  I just rebuilt my Solex last year and don't remember taking out or putting back any separate balls.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:14pm
   my kit did not have any "ball-assemblies" like shown in the schematic.
Nor did the Chinese kit have anything like that either. I think this import kit is the first-ever carb kit to not have any directions enclosed. kinda strange.

I will remove the POS and take out the passage plugs once again, but something just doesn't feel right with this import piece.

Stumped-again _ _ I will report back after doing so.

thanks,

Len
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:30am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 5:04pm
thanks steelyard !
Below is some links I found this morning:

http://blog.kaiserwillys.com/willys-jeep-parts-qa-solex-carburetor?doing_wp_cron=1530021484.8705830574035644531250

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/new-replacement-solex-carburetor-fits-53-71-cj-3b-5-m38a1-with-4-134-f-engine

http://cj3b.info/Tech/SolexCarb.html

I will scour-thru these links when I get time. But, I still cannot seem to find the accel-pump fuel inlet check-valve (or check-ball) on my Solex Clone.
Nor did the Clone kit have any either. very strange because there must be some sort of check-valve to prevent fuel from being pushed back out the inlet to the accelerator pump.   Hmm

( off topic ):
   Yesterday, I spent the afternoon torch-welding our broken beach easy-up shade which got stomped by a freak wind storm at the lake last week. It was a daunting task as I was curious if I could successfully weld those thin metal tubes back together where they snapped in the middle. Pretty high tensile steel for the tubing to break, and my guess the thickness to be at 24 or 26ga metal. Interesting enough, I was able to weld with a size "0" torch tip, and using the thinnest wire I could find for filler. Oxy press 3-5 lbs and Acet. press 3-4 lbs.. Mechanics wire was just too heavy for filler and wound up using thin tie-wire from bundles of metal T-posts which I had salvaged for the unknown need. Truthfully, looking back, I should have used a size "00" oxy/acet torch tip (but I don't have one that small either).   hahaha _ _ _ what a challenge that was just trying to see clearly out of my Goggles while wearing Progressive-lense glasses.   Yuck that was really a booger trying to see my work. And the metal was like trying to weld thin T-1 high-tensile steel by hand.   yep, that was a good tune-up.
And when I shared my gratitude with my wife, she said "I only paid $35 for it."
What we do for entertainment. (would like to find a good carb for $35).
My point with this is - the effort exerted in repairing the canopy frame was rewarding and fruit-full. All the time and effort I have exerted on trying to salvage the Solex Clone that came with my 2A so far has been Fruitless and very discouraging. I have repaired and rebuilt many carburetors in my 66-years of mechanic-ing, but have not had the opportunity to be blessed with one of these Solex Clone carbs.
My gut feeling _ _ _ I will be searching for a Substitute to replace this one I have inherited if I cannot find an inlet check-valve to the accel-pump, which by-the-way is Not pumping. The challenge continues.
   One last thing, I checked my engine's compression cold with all plugs removed and did 4-rotations each with 125 psi consistent through all 4 cyl's, so I am very pleased with that, which means I won't be pulling the head unless I discover internal noises upon getting my carburetion's idle circuit and accel-pump cleared-up.

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 5:27pm
steelyard,
   I have attached the wrong carb schematic, but it shows the basic principles.
After having studied the page you attached, it appears that i need to check the slow-running circuit as noted as pilot jet (G), and air bleed (U).
And is the Starter-valve (64) and the Pump injector assembly (9), the 2-fuel valves for the pump circuit ?

Therefore, the Starter valve or injector assembly is leaking fuel. And the Starter valve should be drawing fuel into the accel-pump chamber ?

Now I will remove the Clone from my engine and take it back to the bench for further investigation. The Clone rebuild kit didn't have anything to address the Pump injector assembly (9).

thanks again for that schematic !

Len
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 4:46am
Len,

Sure, glad it helped.

I have pulled my Solex apart a couple times and rebuilt it with an Omix kit. I don't recall a check ball in the accelerator circuit.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 3:37am
I just went out and found the old parts from my Solex.  The only ball I can find is part of the pilot jet (item 52 in the drawing Steely posted).  I see no other balls anywhere in all the bag-o-stuff.  FWIW.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 7:41am
   Richard,
I have the thick gasket under my Solex with the vanes, and I grease the gaskets so the parts are removable easily next time problems arise.

Hey, old reliable, I inserted an aluminum check-ball from a Carter YF kit, and then installed a ball-retainer wire to prevent the ball from coming out of the pump-inlet-jet because it can fit through the hole leading to the fuel bowl.

My "Follow-up" is on my Project Page titled "Greaser007's '46 CJ2A Gemma project" with photos to show the re-purposed and retro-fitted fuel-inlet-jet check-ball, and the inlet from fuel bowl to fuel-pump-inlet jet, inlet-jet location ( under the pump ), and the pump-squirter-nozzle.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/greaer007s-46-cj2a-gemma-project_topic41727.html

This has been quite a puzzle to figure out. How many jeeps are running around with these Solex-clone carburetors having no accelerator-pump inlet-jet-check-balls !   ....... and the owners may not know the accel pump is not squirting like a yard-sprinkler.   Hmm .... probably quite a few.

Come to think of it, i don't think my little L134 has a vacuum port to check manifold vacuum, and i may plumb one in to see what my engine is pulling.

thanks for the help and input you guys !! ...... and thank you Richard for allowing me to add to this thread with my Solex-clone carburetor issues.

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 7:50am
   Olreliable !

I forgot to mention one important thing !

I inserted the new check-ball into part No. 35 "fuel economizer jet"

And then made a ball-retainer wire swedged into the #35 jet and the pump squirs like the lawn-sprinkler !

Hopefully this will give some clarification to someone else with Solex-clones having no fuel check balls.

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 3:27am
All the parts I took out of my Solex were the original parts.  The carb was new when I bought it from JC Whitney in 2000.  It worked perfectly for years.
 Post Reply Post Reply