Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

solid oil pickup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyocj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: solid oil pickup
    Posted: 21 July 2018 at 4:45pm
I have a question that is going to make some purists cringe, but here goes-I am thinking about wiring my oil pickup in the down position. Another option would be to drill holes in the float. The advantage, if my thinking is right, is that it would always be near the bottom of the pan, fully covered by oil, and I wouldn't have to worry about it ever binding in the up position. Maybe that never happens, but murphy's law says anything that CAN happen, WILL happen. I don't let my oils in any vehicle go longer than recommended for change, so I don't get sludge and I'm not very worried about getting water in the oil. None of my other vehicles have floating oil pickups, is there a reason why it would be important here? I'm getting ready to put the pan back on after changing the rod bearings and now I'm thinking about that first few seconds after start=up. It seems that a few inches of oil already in the pickup tube would be good, even after everyday shutdowns, because it drains back down when off.I ask this question here because there may be conditions or reasons that I'm overlooking, and if I've learned one thing it's that more information is better than less for making decisions. PS I do plan to try to fill the oil galleys(galleries?) before start-up
Larry
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 4:13am
Crud in the oil is expected to sink to the bottom.   A floating pickup won't suck in the contaminants.  You don't know that there will never be water in your oil.  Sounds like a bad idea IMO.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 4:33am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Crud in the oil is expected to sink to the bottom.   A floating pickup won't suck in the contaminants.  You don't know that there will never be water in your oil.  Sounds like a bad idea IMO.

I agree.  I generally defer to the engineers that designed the engine.  Remember also that the oil filtration is a bypass system which is not as effective as a modern filtration system. Oil is better now than in 1950, but it still can get sludgy. 

In all the years I've messed with these engines and been on the 2A page, I've never had a float stick, nor have I heard that it happened to someone here.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I agree.  I generally defer to the engineers that designed the engine.  Remember also that the oil filtration is a bypass system which is not as effective as a modern filtration system. Oil is better now than in 1950, but it still can get sludgy. 

In all the years I've messed with these engines and been on the 2A page, I've never had a float stick, nor have I heard that it happened to someone here.

X2, Never!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
wyocj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyocj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 5:08pm
I had a lot of time to think about it and by this morning, since I had seen no feedback on the idea, I decided to just put it back together as designed. I kind of assumed no feedback meant nobody likes the idea much. Now I see three opinions that are in complete agreement with each other (and that's rare) so it goes back in today with float functioning, and I don't expect any problems. Thanks for the feedback

Edited by wyocj2a - 22 July 2018 at 5:11pm
Larry
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 6:13pm
Make sure you take it apart and clean the screen, unreal what you find in them

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
wyocj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyocj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 8:49pm
Yeah lee it was really full of crap, it got a thorough cleaning-it's in now, oil pan on, just looking at best ways to prime the pump...
Larry
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 4:19pm
To prime a pump or an engine that has been disassembled, I use a pump up plastic garden sprayer adapted to thread in the oil galley.
 Post Reply Post Reply