Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sometimes I just like spending money

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sometimes I just like spending money
    Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 12:31am
So this morning waiting for the guys to show up so I had help to drop the Tub on the chassis I was on eBay. I been looking for a compass for CHUG for a couple years now and nothing really fit my requirements or looked like I wanted. I of course wanted a 2" D in dash style but the only ones that were adjustable and therefore worth a sh*t were aircraft. AND VERY EXPENSIVE.

then a week or so ago a guy on one of the Hot Rod Facebook pages I am on was showing off this HULL Marine/Auto compass with internal beacon light. He bought one and then painted it to match his Hot Rod. SO I started looking at those.

Again the nice ones were very expensive. Then I came across one for $90 that was NIB and complete. Still more then I wanted to pay. This morning I did a new search and found one that was also complete and in the Box but a wee bit shelf worn. Since I would be painting it to match my dash anyway and cause it was a much better price and had a bunch of photos I went for it. SO this critter will now be mounted in the center of my Defroster Duct right above the SUN inclinometer I also got the other day.

I'll most likely still end up on my top but hey they will look cool. LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 1:34am
Mark,

I have an aircraft compass that I purchased years an go at a antique show ($20) - for use in my old Land Rover which is mainly aluminum.  It ends up, that the aircraft compass is way more sensitive to metal and needs to be mounted on an aluminum mast in order not to be effected by the steel in the frame and engine block of the Land Rover.  I never tried it on the Willys since it is mainly all steel and would probably just point at the dash all the time as North.  

You made a good choice not buying the aircraft compass - based on the one I have.

Post a picture when you get it painted.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 2:37am
this one is adjustable for N/S and E/W so hopefully it doesnt end up with a Willys lean.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 2:46am
I used to have a marine compass in the dash of my '75 CJ5.  It just solidly anchored itself to the steel dash.  There was no way it was going to work like that.  I was still in the build phase at the time so I changed gears and put an aluminum dash in it.  Turn out to not be worth it because it bounced off its axis the first time I took it off-road (how would it have held up to a boat hitting a wave?).

Anyway, my advice would be to try it in / on a piece of sheet metal before you risk any damage to your dash.  I wasn't happy after cutting a big mounting hole and then finding that I couldn't fill it with the compass.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 4:04am
I will attach it to the aluminum defroster duct I will have mounted just below the glass in my windshield. The one floats in a bubble so I don't see how it could come off its pivot. 

What I want to find now is a small barometer so I can adjust my Helicopter altimeter. On the go.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 4:41am
Mark I was gonna suggest that you just get a thermal night vision optic.  It (at least a good one) will have a compass, altimeter, and barometer built in. Get one with Bluetooth and mount an IPad above the steering wheel for a screen. Bonus, you could drive at night without lights. But, that would be kinda over the top. 😁
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 1:21am
$20 aircraft compass off ebay, refilled it with mineral oil, mounted in an existing hole with a brass plate. Accurate within maybe 10-15 degrees, so really only good if you already know which way you're pointing.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Mark I was gonna suggest that you just get a thermal night vision optic.  It (at least a good one) will have a compass, altimeter, and barometer built in. Get one with Bluetooth and mount an IPad above the steering wheel for a screen. Bonus, you could drive at night without lights. But, that would be kinda over the top. 😁

Now that's funny I remember a while back when mentioning I was going with Hella H4 conversion headlights someone was worried I might go as far as LED Tail lights LOL.

I didn't but I did go with Hi output 1157 bulbs in my NAPA dirt cheap trailer tail lights that look just like what dad had on CHUG just now when the brakes come on they are BRIGHT.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 1:41am
Find a dodge raider or Isuzu trooper in a wrecking yard. They have an inclinometer and I believe a compass in a dash pod. As handy as you are Mark I bet you could make em look like the just grew on your dash. 
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 2:44am
I second the observation about marine compasses. Bought one (Ritchie), it always pointed North. Think it would have worked fine in fiberglass or maybe with an aluminum aircraft.
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 2:48am
for compass, inclinometer and altimeter use your iphone
 Post Reply Post Reply