Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Southpaw'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Southpaw'
    Posted: 06 Sep. 2016 at 2:25am
   Here ya go Tom, this one's for you Big smile .....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mrcurt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2016 at 7:33am
47 cj2a><>

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2016 at 10:27am
Nice! Thx 4 sharing! ..... and keep'em comin'
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2016 at 11:24am
And I'd like to publicly thank you for getting it to the Reunion.

For those that don't know I bought this one from Tom who is in Illinois about 9 and a half hours from me. There was a handoff involved to Jeff who loaded it on his trailer with BamBam for their trip to the Reunion in Missouri.

It was parked in it's parking place when we arrived at the motel.

Thanks Jeff and Tom for 'above and beyond'  in helping to make this happen. Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2016 at 11:49am
Roc,

Is that the 'little guy?' Looking kinda big now.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2016 at 11:57am
He looks like a very Happy Camper!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2016 at 2:54pm
Yes Bill, same one. He turned 8 in May. Finding out what you as parents have always said, they grow way too fast.

We got 'Frankie' out for a ride and then talked about what it would be like to ride in 'Southpaw'.

It takes ALOT to get him interested in anything but Minecraft these days but playing outside with us generally works especially if there is hiking involved.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2016 at 5:36pm
Roc,

Oh yeah, those darn video games. Understanding now why my dad would not get us Atari when we were young.

Time just blows right by for sure. Been taking my oldest two out this summer for some driving lessons already. I don't know how they got old enough for that.

Bill

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2016 at 6:25pm
Funny you should mention that....I told him "hey this might even be the one you learn to drive in".

His reply?  " well I think somebody might get me a car of my own by then." LOL

It won't really surprise me if he is one of those that don't get real excited about driving anyway.....I hope I'm wrong about that....I'm trying to brace myself for it though.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2016 at 9:28pm
Roc,

My oldest son could give a rip about cars. I've come to accept it. Tried teaching him how to do brakes, oil changes etc. Just no interest at all. He was afraid to drive even.

That being the case, he will get my current daily driver- the Ford 500. The ultimate old man boring mobile. Told him once he starts dating, he's gonna wish he hadn't put all those dents in it with baseballs, soccer balls and basketballs.

My youngest boy is all about cars though. He wants to know when the other two go off to college, does he get the 2A. He said if not, its ok, as long as he can have 'a really cool car.' He is obsessed with Elanor from Gone in 60 Seconds. Told him that's probably not going to work when you're 16. Maybe he'll settle for a Mustang II. Confused

Bill

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2016 at 1:43am
Yep, a lefty so It must be a 48 CJ2A. I seem to have taught as many women to change oil as I have men And then we go on to clutch changes and some of those wimmen can drive semis better than some men.

At least I have passed on a bit of my years of experience.
uncamonkey
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2016 at 4:39am
I feel your pain, Bill. My son is 19 and could care less about cars. He doesn't work on them, so consequently, the complete restoration was done solo, by me.   He doesn't know a Jeep from a Willys, but he does love to drive the 2a. And, he does want one of his own, so there is some common ground.   Bad news tho, Roc, they don't grow out of Minecraft, unfortunately. Mine still plays that mind-numbing building block game
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2016 at 5:00pm
My dad told me when I was 16 that I could have my own car when I could afford the tags, taxes, gas and insurance.  I really wanted a car, but that didn't happen until I got out of the Army at age 21. That was when I bought my first "car", "Ol Red", a '46 CJ-2A. It wasn't real practical as a daily driver as it had no top and had mucho plenty mechanical issues. My mom took pity on me when I needed wheels for a date and loaned me her ''66 Mustang. I learned how to mechanic on the jeep and had plenty of opportunity to learn many and varied lessons. I've owned Ol Red for 47 years and would never part with it. Still working on it, though the work I'm doing now is more on the order of restoration work rather than fixing breakdowns. 
The only one of my four daughters that shows any interest in Ol Red already gipped me out of my 1971 Ford F-250 4x4 that she wanted as a wedding present several years ago. It is her daily driver today. Really not sure where Ol Red will go when I get too old to drive...Ol' Red will be restored; I wish I could say the same about myself...Unhappy we are the same age... 
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2016 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

And I'd like to publicly thank you for getting it to the Reunion.

For those that don't know I bought this one from Tom who is in Illinois about 9 and a half hours from me. There was a handoff involved to Jeff who loaded it on his trailer with BamBam for their trip to the Reunion in Missouri.

It was parked in it's parking place when we arrived at the motel.

Thanks Jeff and Tom for 'above and beyond'  in helping to make this happen. Thumbs Up

Hey Roc, Nice rig and I love the name (SOUTHPAW). I always wanted to add a "Lefty" to my herd but the one I found was to far gone for me to resurrect so it went down the pike.

I must say too that Jpet always steps up when he can and goes "above and beyond". We are very lucky to have this generous soul in our WILLYS family. He is the best

Edited by 3-48s - 11 Sep. 2016 at 3:29pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2016 at 2:35pm
"Too far gone"....? That one doesn't look so bad.Big smile  Couple rattlecans and it would be all right. I wish I had that front bumper.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2016 at 3:02pm
Roc,
Believe me the body was toasted. I took that photo for MSO (maximum show off) for my for sale add.

I think the cowl,grill and hood (that I replaced) were the only workable body parts. The engine and trans were seized, however frame was good and that front bumper was a very good piece. It almost found a home on My Gray Mule but I had already had put a Walck's replacement on it.
You could have had the whole deal for $500.

P.S. This is how it arrived at my place and if I could have I would have restored it with all the nice bells and whistles it had.

Edited by 3-48s - 14 Oct. 2019 at 4:43pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2016 at 3:09pm
And about that much more to come get it ! LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2016 at 3:18pm
What was wired to the AC outlets on the trailer socket hole plate? Nice find with all those accessories.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>