Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spare 5.38 Dana 41 Ring and Pinion gears

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R P Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare 5.38 Dana 41 Ring and Pinion gears
    Posted: 04 Jan. 2017 at 11:21pm
I am new to the board. But I have question. I had my Dana 25 front end  on my 48 CJ2A fully rebuilt in 2014 with new bearings, spider gears and a NOS 5.38 ring and pinion I found on Ebay. Kiser-Willys wanted $399 for theirs(at the time),but I found a NOS for $200 on Ebay. I switched out the old Dana 41 rear end with one that was in much better condition, new bearings, ect. However mechanic said the Ring and Pinion gears in the rear were in good shape (a little worn can be expected) but it was far better then the Dana 41 he took off. I am noticing that the Dana 41's Ring and pinions are getting hard to find even used. Should I worry much about this. I am 49 and I put less than 1000 miles at the most in a years time on my Willys. Should I be looking for one to stash back, maybe one for the front too? The whole Axle Issue came about because the farmer I bought the CJ2A from  got tired of filling the front and rear ends with gear oil (Leaked out) and refused to just replace the gaskets. He just opened the fill holes and pumped it full of grease with a grease gun and drove it. The front end gears were the worse and the bearings were shot and the rear end was not far behind.  Properly maintained gear oil levels should preserve these (getting rare ) parts for some years to come I would guess. Both front and rear ends are correctly refurbished now. Gear oil is where it should be and grease is where it should be. Am I worrying to much over nothing? I have spent so much money on this thing to be told 10 years from now, "sorry we can't find you any parts"

Edited by R P Williams - 05 Jan. 2017 at 12:33am
1948 Willys CJ2A with M38 windshield.
1994 Chevy S10 4x4
2002 Ford Ranger Off Road 4x4
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 12:40am
If properly maintained a ring and pinion will last well past 200K I have owned vehicles older then your jeep and (1940 Dodge Couple w/ completely Original drive train engine had been rebuilt at 240K) When I had it the car had over 300K on it and the rear end was nice and quiet and was all an all in very good condition. But that car had very good maintenance I was only the third owner (bought the car in 1977).

I doubt you will find a NOS Dana 41 R&P and if you do it will be very expensive. Its been many decades since anyone had one to sell new.

if you have locking hubs on the front axle the only time the front R&P turn is when your locked in. So unless all your mileage is off road and in 4wd the use is extremely small.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
R P Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R P Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 12:48am
I have been thinking about putting locking hubs on it lately. I think I will. The Ring and pinion gears I have now in the rear in are in good condition compared to the Dana 41 I took off. I always wondered why it would only hold  4 to 5 oz of gear oil (before leaking out) Housing was pumped full of axle grease from the farmer. The gears and bearings starved for gear fluid and wore out. Your comment makes me feel better. She is used but treated like a queen now. Now knowing how rare these gears are, I will make and extra effort to keep the Dana 25 and 41 properly serviced.

Shame no one is making Dana 41 ring and pinion gears, seeing how many CJ2A's are still running about.

Any thoughts about what Locking Hubs would be a good choice for a stock CJ2A Dana 25 front end.

Edited by R P Williams - 05 Jan. 2017 at 1:00am
1994 Chevy S10 4x4
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 1:05am
Border Parts had NOS Dana 41 gears a few years ago, I brought a set of them.

They were genuine Dana x Mexico and were from a batch made 20-30 years ago.

Try Jon, he may still have some, great price and great help.

I have told a few people about this and they may well be all gone now??

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 1:49am
 Both front and rear hold up very well with a bit of maintenance, they give very little trouble. Nearly everyone who collects/builds these little critters has a stack of good axles that they can't sell. Once in a while someone will need one and then they bring around $100 complete. I'd say don't worry about it.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
R P Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R P Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 2:14am
Thanks gentlemen, This makes me feel better. The farmer I got the 48 CJ2A from, did all but destroy this old girl. I got it cheap but I have spent a ton of cash on it to get it into proper running condition over the years. I guess gears with no gear oil just won't last foreverSmile.  I will still keep my eyes open for a good deal if one presents itself.
1994 Chevy S10 4x4
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2017 at 5:22am
Originally posted by R P Williams R P Williams wrote:

I guess gears with no gear oil just won't last foreverSmile.

That farmer thought they would...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply