Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spare gas cans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare gas cans
    Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 8:33am
Looking online for a replacement 5 gallon military style gas can. Didn't  know there where so many choices and price ranges. I have the carrier used on the M38A1. And I will be using the can, it's not for decoration.

So I'm wondering what can you guys are using. I like the idea of the cans that have their spouts incorporated into the can, seems I was always loosing my old screw on spout. Which cans have you had that would not fit your carrier. And so on.

Thanks...Bill
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 9:31am
Wavrin Can made to NATO spec's The safety spout sucks but they do offer a good quick pour spout.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 10:22am
That's one of the cans I am looking at. What is it with the safety spout. Another I 'm looking at is the Goplus 20L with a flexable spout. about 20.00 cheaper. 
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 10:45am
safety spout = pour gas all over the place
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 11:05am
My personal opinion is...

An old school Willys DESERVES an old school can...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 11:36am
  I’m with Tim on that. 
The old Jerry cans are not that hard to find, and work well with a good cap gasket and a good pour spout gasket (they are not the same). Trouble is, the gaskets are harder to find than the cans. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I’m with Tim on that. 
Trouble is, the gaskets are harder to find than the cans. 
BW 

Idaho Army Surplus has some decent ones for 3 bucks apiece. Spendy yes but I've got some going on 3 or 4 years now that haven't turned to jello at the 1st whiff of fuel, more than I can say for the cheapos.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 1:04pm
I totally agree on the old cans and their spouts, that's all I have ever used and do prefer them. But I don't have any local access to them and would have to "play the odds" in finding a good one.

Do any of you have a trusted vendor who supplies good used tanks or is it back to Ebay?

muley I'm looking at your link. thanks... Bill
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 1:05pm
  Thanks Muley, I’ll order some and try them out. Correct for the cap, not for the spout, but maybe could be modified. 
  I bought five at a higher price from one of the major WWII vehicle parts suppliers with the statement that they were resistant to ethanol. I use only ethanol free gas in my jeeps. Those can gaskets grew to almost twice their normal size after two days exposure to ethanol free gas! I would send them back but I can’t recall which outfit I got them from. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 1:14pm
I use a ww2 jerry can and the spout is a modern clamp on that came out of an ASV that out unit got rid of and I keep it between the spare and tailgate, doesn't even rattle

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Thanks Muley, I’ll order some and try them out.
BW 

while you're there. I remember you were interested, perfect fit for baofeng radio.

Edited by muley - 08 Nov. 2021 at 1:34pm
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 2:24pm
FWIW there's a blitz can on WT for sale.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 4:27pm
I was lucky that my dad liked military surplus. He had at least a half dozen good WW2 Jerry cans, mostly water cans, but at least one good fuel can. After he died a lot of stuff disappeared from his garage, but I did find a couple of those Jerry cans the thieves had missed. One is a water can, the other a fuel can and in pretty good shape. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 5:31pm
Now all someone needs is a simple way to clean up old cans. I have several with rust and would like to re-use them.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

Now all someone needs is a simple way to clean up old cans. I have several with rust and would like to re-use them.

I know that liquid rust remover does a decent job, but youd need to fill the whole can up, however with that much you could probably use it several times over
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 5:38pm
I hope my wife doesn't see that Boston Terrier sticker on that Jeep. She has one just like it on the back of her Dodge Journey. We have had Bostons for years, used to raise them. Great little dogs. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 5:40pm
Does she. have a good way to remove rust on old 5 gallon cans?
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 7:28pm
Sure do miss the old days when you could go down to the local surplus store and pick up what you need. These 5 gal. cans are not hard to find, but, ones that will hold gas are. One guy has one in good condition but he says do not use it for gas storage. What the hell!
Found another advertised as a fuel can, guy says it is in good condition, except, there some peeling of the paint on the inside. I don’t recall the fuel tanks having a lining, the water tanks did. Did the fuel cans have a lining?
I’m going to search for a few more days but if I have no luck I may have to buy a new can. Need one by Thanksgiving week.
Hey guys. Sure do appreciate the tips, comments, and suggestions.

1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>