Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spare gas cans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 8:03pm
g503 has a whole section devoted to "Gerry" / "Jerry" cans.  Lots of posts on restoring too.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 8:36pm
Russ you have really inspired me with the link to the G503 Jerry cans. Never knew there was such a following on gas cans.
I have decided to go ahead and buy a new can for now. 
Then I want to find a restorable can made in ‘52 to match my ‘52 CJ3A.
So if any of you have a ‘52 can in good restorable condition just taking up space in your back room drop me a line would love to take it off your hands.

1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 10:38pm
 Can’t believe I found a ‘52 can so quick. Looks decent. Should have it by the end of the week. The link to the g503 jerry can page has info there about cleaning up the inside of a can.

If this can is useable I may have time to get it ready to go by Thanksgiving week deer hunt.

1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 12:12am
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

Now all someone needs is a simple way to clean up old cans. I have several with rust and would like to re-use them.

I've had success cleaning them with some rocks and a cement mixer...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 8:03am
Well that's one way I suppose. looks like a big rock tumbler.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 9:44am
I have done the tumbling thing with the Jeep. I jacked up one rear tire. I blocked the rig well so it would not even think about moving. Then I strapped the can with rock in it to the elevated rear tire. I fired her up & put the transmission in low gear two wheel drive & let the clutch out. After a five minute spin, all was clean. Well the gravel was a bit rusty, but after a few rain shower you could not tell. No cement mixer needed. 

Willyt said "Well that's one way I suppose. looks like a big rock tumbler."

That is because it is a big rock tumbler/mixer. Think about it.Wink
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 12:48pm
Yeah... were there’s a will there’s a way!
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 12:51pm
I think the same as cpt logger - m38mike had a novel take on spinning a tank (everybody has a jeep, right?).

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 1:08pm
  Everybody that matters, does. But not everyone has an Elecro-Willys! LOLWink
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 3:00pm
A similar idea was described for cleaning a gas tank on an old tractor forum I used to be on when I had old tractors.

In that case, instead of rocks, a length of chain was to be inserted into the tank and the tank attached to the tractor wheel with the tractor on stands.

Someone, with poor reading comprehension read that post and misunderstood what to do with the chain.

Instead of putting the chain inside the tank and attaching the tank to the tractor wheel he attached one end of the chain to the tank, and bolted the other end to a lug nut on the tractor. The only thing that saved him from being seriously injured or killed was his tractor had a cab on it. The tank being flung around by the chain did do some serious damage to the sheet metal on his tractor and wrecked that area of his shop. It also did serious damage to the tank.

I have had excellent results using "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner and water to clean out gas tanks. I used it on a CJ2A tank that had sat for a decade with old fuel in it and was coated on the inside with rusty looking crud. I poured two bottles of the cleaner into the tank, filled it the rest of the way with water sloshed it around real good and sat it out in the sun. I went out every hour and sloshed it around some more. After 6 hours I emptied the tank and rinsed it out to see bright shiny metal inside. The only problem was there were some pin holes in the tank that the rust had sealed and with the rust gone the tank leaked. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 5:49pm
I've been using a Wavian cans in one of their mounts for a couple of years. Works very well. I do zip tie the spout into it's mount to keep it from getting lost.  I also went with Red so the jabronies who want to tailgate me can see exactly what they are running into.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 7:45pm
My jeep has my grandfather's old 1943 jerry can on the back of it. I don't have a spout for it but instead a siphon hose with one of those check valve thingys. The can is higher than the jeep's tank so getting a siphon going is easy.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 8:26pm
Otto that is a great idea, saves having to handle the heavy can and gives you time to down a brew while waiting.

BD would you or any others know if the Wavian can will fit the standard military can carrier?
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 8:43pm
  I saw a jeep many years ago - it may have been an MB/GPW - that had piece of tubing brazed in near the bottom of the gas can that went through a hole in the carrier and through the back of the body. There was a small 1/4 turn valve there and the tubing followed the floor/fender box corner and entered the top of the fuel tank. When the driver needed more fuel, he opened the valve and the fuel in the can drained into the tank. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 9:03pm
I prefer the old cans, I just got finished rigging up a 1972 CJ-5 for a daily driver, I was debating putting a gas can on it, finally decided to put it on the side where the spare tire usually mounts,the can is a 1953 Rheem, got it and the carrier at an estate sale for 15 dollars. It was full of diesel so not a bad deal.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

I use a ww2 jerry can and the spout is a modern clamp on that came out of an ASV that out unit got rid of and I keep it between the spare and tailgate, doesn't even rattle

Where do you get a "modern clamp on" spout.  Mine is getting rust and stiff.

Edited by mickeykelley - 09 Nov. 2021 at 9:42pm
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2021 at 9:41am
Originally posted by BD1 BD1 wrote:

I've been using a Wavian cans in one of their mounts for a couple of years. Works very well. I do zip tie the spout into it's mount to keep it from getting lost.  I also went with Red so the jabronies who want to tailgate me can see exactly what they are running into.

I'm not sure about other states, but in Kansas gas cans are supposed to be painted red. I've never heard of the law being enforced but it is on the books. Ol' Red's WWII style gas can is red.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2021 at 1:00pm
Wavian fit this weekend. I have an original style gas can holder on the back of my CJ5 project with an old can in it. I'll try the Wavian in it for fit.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>