Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spare tire mount for the trail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare tire mount for the trail
    Posted: 17 May 2021 at 4:41pm
Here's some views of a spare tire mount I fabricated from scrap that I use off road. My intent is to keep Ol'Red as stock looking as possible but also be able to use her on narrow off road trails without scraping the spare tire off the right side of her. Using this modification doesn't put a load on the tailgate and it can be installed or removed in about 10 minutes.

Here's an overall view of the rear without the tire or gas can installed:

A detail view of the upper part of the rack secured to the tailgate chain latch using a bolt, a nut and some washers. There are no holes required to be drilled in the tailgate itself:

A detail view of the lower mount that attaches to the rear part of the frame using existing bolt holes. If the original implement hitch is installed this could easily be modified to use holes in the hitch:

Overall view with the spare tire installed:

The wood insert is to keep the jerry can from rattling.

Drive safe, have fun, and pack your trash out....
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:06pm
Nice work!  

I might add a perch at the bottom to hold the bottom of the tire weight - if it is going to see a lot of trail used.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Charles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 9:52am
Very Nice,  I notice you don't have a draw bar?  is that because it bottoms out on the trail?  I too am wanting to rig up a spare tire and jerry can on the back but mine, however mine has a drawbar of which I was considering using as the support as well as the tailgate latch like yours.   Just curious of why the Drawbar is off.   
Charlie
46 CJ2A 26063
46 CJ2A 19760
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:14am
Ol' Red has a M-38 frame that I bought new 50 years ago to replace the damaged original frame which had been bent during 17 years of "careful oilfield mileage". M-38's used bumperettes and not the original CJ-2A implement hitch. The bumperettes didn't come as part of the M-38 frame I bought and I never put any on. If you have the original hitch then just modify the lower part of the frame to adapt to the hitch.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 18 May 2021 at 10:28am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:24am
As a footnote to the construction of the spare tire frame, I tilted the frame out from the tailgate far enough to make sure that the frame does not contact the tailgate. The spare tire frame only contacts the body or jeep frame at the mounting points. This eliminates the possibility of damaging the tailgate through daily use.

Of course, that doesn't eliminate the possibility of someone rear-ending me in traffic! The tailgate would get damaged anyway in that situation.

Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 11:45am
Excellent work! I haven't gotten around to fabricating mine yet. That'll come after it's, you know, running...
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:34pm
Another example of same concept.   It has worked well for past couple years.

Mine started with a frame that someone created,  and welded to a Bantam trailer I acquired.

I added the legs to go down to frame,  and the angles for bolts into tailgate chain tabs.

The frame is wider than it needs to be,  but I did not take the time to cut it narrower.

Later I want to fit a larger spare,  so had to cut off the "rebar" tire mount.   Instead of putting that back,  I fashioned a way to bolt the original tire bracket.  (no mods to it,  so could mount back on side if desired some day).

Nothing special,   but might give others some ideas.     Again,  it has worked well.
Charles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:35pm
uploads/4406/TireCarrier.pdf

this is what got me started thinking about changing the mount to the rear. 
Charlie
46 CJ2A 26063
46 CJ2A 19760
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:22pm
That is a straight forward design; however, the center location of the spare leaves no location available for the jerry can.

I designed my carrier for the express purpose of having spare gas for the CFFC Fall Color Tour. You do not want to run out of gas on the trails so everyone tops off the tank the night before and carries a jerry can with extra gas. Mike can give you a pretty severe look if you run out of gas and have none onboard your jeep. While no one will leave you stranded, a fair amount of razzing from your fellow jeepers could occur.

Ol' Red's gas gauge is not as accurate as I would like it so the jerry can is cheap insurance about having enough gas when I trail alone.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 18 May 2021 at 5:57pm

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

Very Nice,  I notice you don't have a draw bar?  is that because it bottoms out on the trail?  I too am wanting to rig up a spare tire and jerry can on the back but mine, however mine has a drawbar of which I was considering using as the support as well as the tailgate latch like yours.   Just curious of why the Drawbar is off.   

If you are wheeling in the rocks, yes, there is contact with the drawbar.  That said, if you happen to rip one of the rear spring hangers off the frame, it keeps the axle under the Jeep.  Don't ask me how I know that----
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:43pm
Nice work! There are endless variations of these. Each designed for the owners needs - no right or wrong way. I made this one last year. I'm very pleased with it.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 6:16pm
Ndnchf, Does the receiver hitch get in the way of a trailer hooked to the pintle hitch? It looks like it might if the trailer was much lower than the Jeep, like crawling over a log or some such.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 6:28pm
My little trailer hooks to either the receiver or the stock ball mount. Currently the pintle is just used as a tie down point. This photo was before I built the tire rack.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Charles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:11pm
Duffer,  thanks for the tip.  I don't want to know that experience. 

ndnchf,  nice, i like the highlift jack placement. 
Charlie
46 CJ2A 26063
46 CJ2A 19760
 Post Reply Post Reply