Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spark Plug Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spark Plug Wiring
    Posted: 04 June 2023 at 12:13pm
I removed my spark plug wires (GoDevil 12v) to replace plugs and don’t remember which wire goes to which plug. What do I need to do to ensure that I rewire the plugs correctly? Also what spark plug works best?
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 1:09pm
You first need to determine which terminal is for the #1 cylinder. The way you do that is to bring the #1 piston to TDC (Top Dead Center) on compression stroke and see which terminal the rotor is pointing to. These are usually timed at 5 or so degrees before TDC so with the piston all the way up the rotor will be just a bit past the terminal. 

One you determine which terminal is for #1 you simply install the other wires, going counter clockwise, in firing order 1,3,4,2 as is cast into the head.

If you search the forum you can find several descriptions of how to get #1 to TDC
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 1:11pm
Champion J8C
firing order is 1342 counter clockwise on the distributor.
#1 should be near 5 o’clock position; but may not depending on oil pump orientation.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 8:12pm
Thanks. That’s what I needed to know. 
 Post Reply Post Reply