Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spedi sleeve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spedi sleeve
    Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 10:27pm
Is it possible to put a speedi sleeve on the end of the crank where the rear main seal rides? I have tried 3 times with a rubber seal and it does not work on my serial #
29---  cj2a. Where the seal rides is not nice and  smooth and I do not want to pull the crank as I am new to jeepdom. Also, when I remove the engine, should I remove it at the transmission or at the bell housing. Continued thanks for everyones input.
Thad
Life is short. Buy a jeep
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 11:50pm
 I would certainly think a speed sleeve would work. Expensive perhaps. 
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 12:07am
 I don't think a speedi sleeve could be installed because of the flanges on the crank unless they make a 2 piece sleeve that I don't know about.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 12:55am
NOPE a speedi sleeve slips on With the seal surface down in that narrow slot there is no way to get one to slip on.

You might depending on how bad your crank is have it ground. It will take an OLD school Crank grinder shop to be able to do it as most shops do not have the ability to grind such a narrow surface. Also you can't grind it past 2.302" and to use a lipped seal it has to be between 2.312 and 2.302. You can read LOTS of info about this in this thread

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 1:00am
Wasn't thinking about the flange. Sorry. Confused
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 12:36am
Thanks for answering my question. I had a feeling that I would have read about using a speedi sleeve if it was a viable option but was hopeful. Pulling the engine this weekend for another first. In goes a rope seal. Sure hope this is my answer!Big smile Thad
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 12:17pm
I don't know if you have tried this, but have you put the seal on so it is not lined up with the rough spot on the crank?  Maybe you could hammer the seal into the timing chain cover half way instead of fully seated.  Also, maybe a double lip seal or a decent amount of axle grease on the crank snout would help create a better seal.  Whenever I put seals on I coat the rubber with grease unless its an automatic transmission etc.
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 2:18pm
This is a rear main seal.
Thad
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 7:50pm
Darnit I thought it was the timing chain cover seal, sorry.  I thought my reading skills were better than that.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by 67charger 67charger wrote:

I don't know if you have tried this, but have you put the seal on so it is not lined up with the rough spot on the crank?  Maybe you could hammer the seal into the timing chain cover half way instead of fully seated.  Also, maybe a double lip seal or a decent amount of axle grease on the crank snout would help create a better seal.  Whenever I put seals on I coat the rubber with grease unless its an automatic transmission etc.

Originally posted by Thad Thad wrote:

This is a rear main seal.
Thad

If it were the front one, a Speedy Sleeve would work.
 Post Reply Post Reply