Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedometer and gear questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedometer and gear questions
    Posted: 05 July 2022 at 5:32pm
I'm having to replace the entire speedometer system on my project. The gauge had a broken indicator, the cable was broken, the driven gear has chunks missing out of it, and the gear has significant wear. I've been trying to search on this topic because you'd think it would get asked a lot but I'm not seeing all the specifics in one place.

My original speedometer with 86000 miles or so on it (before the cable broke decades ago) went up to 70 mph. The replacement new production one only goes up to a more realistic 60. The new cable looks about the same as the old broken one. I'm having trouble finding new gears that match the old ones. The old ones appear to be a "4 tooth" driven gear (looks more like 5 but I think you count by complete revolution) and a "15 tooth" gear. All the new ones I see for sale look more like 6 teeth and 22 teeth. So I'm concerned about finding the right ones so the speedometer reads accurately. 

Anyone got a quick answer to help demystify this? 

(Also, it seems very hard to find new gears right now as all the major suppliers are backordered.)
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 9:14pm
Call Army Jrep Parts or Midwest Military. They both have a lot of NoS gears. 

I got my speedo gear from Army Jeep Parts. George knows every bolt on these things.  John at Midwest is the same way. 
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 9:41pm
I totally forgot to check Army Jeep Parts. They appear to have the parts I need. Been waiting 3 weeks on Kaiser Willys due to a backorder... could have had these sooner...
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
 Post Reply Post Reply