Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedometer Troubleshooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlieP-CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedometer Troubleshooting
    Posted: 26 June 2017 at 5:51am
Looking for advice on troubleshooting my speedometer for a 1946 CJ2A.  I have been doing a body-off full restoration and as part I have replaced the speedometer cable.  I kept the original speedometer on the dash so that it shows original mileage. 

The problem is that the speedometer is no working properly.  When cruising at about 40MPH the speedometer bounces from 0 to 70 and then snaps back to 0 to start all over again.  

I am looking for advise as to the root cause and what I can do to rectify.  because I put the tub back on before I installed the cable on the transfer case it is extremely difficult to access the nut on the cable to screw it into the transfer case so I did my best to tighten it into the transfer case.  

Any guidance or advice would be most welcomed.

Thanks!
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 6:36am
Sometimes a sign of a worn cable, the end should be nice and square in shape, if its a bit rounded it goes stupid...

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
CharlieP-CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlieP-CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 6:39am
could it be something else? I installed a brand new cable.  Could it be something with the original speedometer? 
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 8:37am
Check the cable is seated properly, its needs to be lined up with the little shaft part, if it was perfect before fitting the new cable then it can only be the cable or ends of it that are causing the erratic readings, try the old cable of at least lay them side by side to make sure they are identical.

The speedo might just need a bit of oil, the originals have provision for this I think.

Pop it out of the dash and have a look on the back.
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 1:56pm
Charlie,

If it bounces around your cable is probably not the issue.   You might google how a mechanical speedometer works.  It sounds to me like you just need to oil it and run it.  There is something with corrosion or crud that need is causing the problem.

Here is poor explanation of how I think the speedometer works.  The needle has a light spring that holds the needle at the zero point.  Then needle is also attached to a metal cup.  The speedometer cable also has a  cup on it with a small magnet attached to it.  The cup with the magnet sits inside the cup the needle attached to it.  The cups don't touch.  When the speedometer cable turns it creates a magnetic drag or eddy that drags the needle to indicate a higher speed.  

I think you might have crud or corrosion between the cups.

Perhaps a speedometer expert can chime in. 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 2:33pm
definately put a few drops of oil in the oiler cap.  From what I've read, it's not done very often and results in these eventually breaking, like mine did on my 58 CJ5.  It probably hadn't been oiled in 50 years. You will probably need to pop it out of the dash to get to it.  
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 2:51pm
Definitely try to lubricate the speedo unit. I just did exactly as you did and suffered the same symptoms with the needle moving wildly. It also made this odd "zip" sound right before the needle would swing from side to side. I was able to carefully disassemble the speedo and lubricate everything and it works much smoother now. I'm confident this is all you need to do. Compare how much effort is needed to turn the speedo drive input before and after lubrication.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 8:13pm
The cable could definitely be the problem, if it's not lubricated properly or if it has a kink in it somewhere.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 11:57pm
It could very well be the new cable. I replaced the cable on my jeepster and it was be-having the same way. I ended up putting the old cable back in and all was solved!  What was happening was the inner cable was pushing on the speedometer and binding it. I tried all sorts of tricks including trying to shorten the inner cable with no effect. My old cable wasn't broken, just had a little wear on the outer shield from rubbing on the block. Taped it up good, and it's still working.
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 1:39am
Anyone have a photo of the speedometer oil location??

My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 2:21am
If you decide to have it looked at by a professional, I highly recommend Scott's Speedometer Service in Pontiac, MI.  He restored my 55 CJ5 script speedo and had all needed parts including NOS needle in stock.
What I sent him:
And what I got back:
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Phil_IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 2:33am
Holy cow! Nice speedo! Not your swim suit either. I cut a couple of inches off the drive end of an old cable and put it in my cordless drill. Then I put a few drops of oil in my '48 speedo and put the drill to it on slow speed. You have to run the drill in reverse. It was bouncing before I oiled it but smoothed out quite a bit. It still has a little bounce at 40 - 45 but it's better than it was. Drill high speed is about 60 mph. 
48 CJ2A "Squeaky" owned since 1978
2010 Grand S Limited
2000 XJ
burnzee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burnzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 2:36am
When I got my replacement cable, from Walcks, it would bind up when fully tightened at the transfer case. I had to grind about 1/16" off the square cable end for it to spin freely when tightened. 
48cj2aou812 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2aou812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 12:13pm
Well I think you may be inadvertently traveling through multidimensional vortexes and that will effect the reading on your speedometer.  But that is simple speculation. Geek

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 10:12am
I heard you can deflux those vortexes in Sedona, AZ.  
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 12:58pm
I think it is probably the cable isn't seated properly. I had the same issue with my CJ5 after installing a new cable. Very difficult to get to the fitting on the transfer case without lowering the whole mess, and if you didn't get it seated all the way, or didn't get it tightened that could be your problem.

Just removing four bolts and a jack is all you need to lower it enough to get to that fitting. Took me about 45 minutes but half that was getting my stiff old body down under and back out. 

And make sure you lubricate the new cable.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 8:06pm
You guys are beating a dead horse from 2017. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 10:00pm
I need to pay more attention to the dates on these things. 

When someone drags up an old thread the nice thing to do is to point out that it is an old thread and their reason for resurrecting it. That way we won't spend time and effort trying to help someone who may not even be active on the forum anymore. 

Looks like the OP on this one hasn't posted anything since 2017, and here we are trying to help him fix his problem. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>