Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedway tire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedway tire?
    Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 8:31pm
Anyone own a set? Saw them on epay for cheap, looks like an early NDT pattern, they any good

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 8:39pm
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 8:39pm
Made in INDIA.

I wouldn't buy them...
gearwrencher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 9:18pm
I would think India is better than China.  Question is, are their any tire made in USA any more? Considering how long any NDT tires last no matter who makes them, may not be a bad deal. 
Jerry
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 9:32pm
Yes, the NDT tires available from the major suppliers are made in the USA.

http://walcks4wd.com/6-00x16-military-tires-6-ply.html
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 9:49pm
Dave
44 Willys MB
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 9:54pm
I have STA NDTs on my 3B, they been on for five years cost $84 ea back then.

Gladly pay more for American jobs,

I am curious to hear how the speedways are holding up.

Edited by jeeper50 - 04 Dec. 2014 at 9:58pm

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 10:16pm
  I have a set on my 47.  The ones I got are 8 ply and I was a little concerned about a hard ride but they are not bad at all. Their add doesn't say what ply they are and I was thinking at the price they would be 4 ply.  I have around 1000 miles on them now and at the slow speed of my Jeep I don't see any problem at all with them.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
grayrace70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grayrace70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 10:38pm
I have both Speedway and Firestone and cant tell the difference between the two. Bought all four new. Saved about $40 per tire going with the Speedways.
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 11:53pm
I have two sets of the 6 ply Speedway NDT's and I really like them for the cost. The rubber is a little softer than the USA produced counter parts; however, they are a great buy for the budget minded member.
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

Hugh Hedrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 12:58am
All of my tires are american made. firestone reproduction ndts are american made and the sta super traxions are american made.
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 2:11am
I have never owned a set but I have read about them over on the gee and most agree that they do not last as long as STAs. They do, however, have a true pencil point where the STAs have a broken pencil point.

The consensus is that if your jeep is one that you only drive occasionally, they are fine but if you drive regularly, you may want to consider a better tire.

.... Again, just what I've read.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 4:58am
Why not put a 40,000 mile modern tire on if your going to drive on the road at all. I can't imagine what those garden tractor tires must be like on hard top. If I had a Military Jeep to show off at car shows sure. But something your actually going to drive around. Not my thing.  50 years ago Willys jeeps were running around with modern tires. The ones in my avatar were put on Chug A Lug when I was in grade school 45 years ago and before that Dad had similar snow and mud grip tires on it.

Edited by Mark W. - 05 Dec. 2014 at 5:01am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 5:06am
I have STAs on my jeep and have put 1700 mile on it since June 6th of this year with no problems at all.  The farthest one way I have driven is 80 miles.  The only problem I have found is the seat cushions need a lot  to be desired.  LOL
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by zooke581 zooke581 wrote:

I have STAs on my jeep and have put 1700 mile on it since June 6th of this year with no problems at all.  The farthest one way I have driven is 80 miles.  The only problem I have found is the seat cushions need a lot  to be desired.  LOL

I feel your pain my 3B has 2" foam cushion too. Lots of miles on my STAs, about halfway thru the thread.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 5:07pm
Here is an email that I got from Brain Hubbard, a tech at Speedways. This was in response to my questions about rubber hardness/softness:

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Do you have any actual pictures of your 750-16 NDTs? The ones on the website are a generic picture. How many lugs per side are they? You wouldn’t happen to know the durometer of the rubber would you? Thanks!

I’m not a company. I am a Jeep enthusiast who likes to go off-road with NDT tires. Normally, I run a 750-16 NDT tire made by STA. Some of my friends in the US are using Speedways tires and they claim that they are softer than STA tires. I’d like to know if this is true and If so, how much softer. A softer tire would be better for me in off-road situations. I’m also curious if there are more lugs per tire than an STA tire. More lugs is better for my application

Originally posted by Speedways Speedways wrote:

Hey jeff you can go on line to www.speedwaystyres.com
to look at catalog i sold a bunch to texas buddies i sold militaries in guatamula and venusian army mexico and chile the tire is a better made compound we just don’t chase the special tire part of it they are used off road around world volume not big enough to dot change mounds for in usa since it’s tube type san marcos texas tire factory used to sell a lot and i sold museums and vets in houston memorial they love them over the 120 sta tire which is probably more now i see about picture they are rim and tire regulation size ! We have most advanced mixing facility and extruded in world and build 2 of them. STA uses old dico plant went broke in 80’s i been doing this 32 years father founded tbc and i built tire mound facility in 87 for hankook father inlaw thought goodyear and michelin how to build mounds and i worked for director of worldwide racing in 80’s when we made high speed radials
We have a more optimized cavity and it make tire handle better don’t think that old dico plant has the technology

I ordered one for testing.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
One2baja View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One2baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 5:19pm
Please keep us posted on the results of your testing.  If you don't mind me asking.  How much was the tire and what was the shipping?

Thanks
Jeff
"I think that I have seen it all until tomorrow"

'46 CJ2A # 45124   
'47 CJ2A #104643 "Betsy"
'49 CJ2A # ??
'80 XJ
'95 ZJ
'17 WK2
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 5:46pm
f

Originally posted by Speedways Speedways wrote:

Hey jeff you can go on line to www.speedwaystyres.com
to look at catalog i sold a bunch to texas buddies i sold militaries in guatamula and venusian army mexico and chile the tire is a better made compound we just don’t chase the special tire part of it they are used off road around world volume not big enough to dot change mounds for in usa since it’s tube type san marcos texas tire factory used to sell a lot and i sold museums and vets in houston memorial they love them over the 120 sta tire which is probably more now i see about picture they are rim and tire regulation size ! We have most advanced mixing facility and extruded in world and build 2 of them. STA uses old dico plant went broke in 80’s i been doing this 32 years father founded tbc and i built tire mound facility in 87 for hankook father inlaw thought goodyear and michelin how to build mounds and i worked for director of worldwide racing in 80’s when we made high speed radials
We have a more optimized cavity and it make tire handle better don’t think that old dico plant has the technology

Wow, lots of words there. Not sure what they say though, and I used to actually speak Chinese a few decades ago.

Wonder how the 750s would look/work on Grampa’s Jeep. Do you think my Go Devil could turn them? An extra inch or two might get me over the top lip of Potato Salad Hill without hanging on my belly.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>