Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedway tire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 10:37pm
The Speedway tire in Joe Friday's catalog pic, with their tread groove that wraps almost completely around the sideway, more closely resembles the NDCC tires fitted to Korean War-era M38 and M38A1 jeeps, rather than NDTs with their relatively square tread-to-sidewall.

I agree with all regarding U.S.-made tires for our jeeps, whether NDT, NDCC or super tractions. Good tires are worth the money in terms of durability and safety.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Thx Keith! I wondered how we here on earth were selling tires to the Venusians.  The delivery charge to Venus would be a deal-killer..

I was more worried about the jokes regarding Uranus...
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Thx Keith! I wondered how we here on earth were selling tires to the Venusians.  The delivery charge to Venus would be a deal-killer..

I was more worried about the jokes regarding Uranus...

shipping to there would be more painful at best!

Jpet
 Maybe someone should send a letter to the editor of one of the offroad mags and see if they would do a feature story for all the ol skool jeepers like us

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

... Maybe someone should send a letter to the editor of one of the offroad mags and see if they would do a feature story for all the ol skool jeepers like us...
Most people outside of this forum, (and some in the forum), don't understand why I'm even messing with NDTs to begin with. I can see why it would not make sense to most. It's just one of my parameters.

I am interested in these tires just for experience purpose. For me, it is not about economics, and I will judge the quality myself by driving on them. I typically run through a set of STAs in 2 years.

Originally, I was interested in the 750s because I thought the durometer might be softer and I was interested in the smaller lugs for Moab type wheeling. Now I am interested in the 900-16s. Here is the only actual pic I can find:

An STA 900-16 is way to big and stiff for my jeep. I'm hoping the 900-16 Speedways are more like STA 750s in thickness and width but perhaps slightly taller. I really like the pencil points on the Speedways because they almost come to center of the tire which IMO would help with traction.

... .again, if anyone living close to Long Beach would go check one of these tires out for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit: If there was an American company that made 33" NDTs that fit well on a 16 x 6 wheel, i wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

Edited by jpet - 30 Jan. 2018 at 2:11pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 3:13pm
I'm also intrigued by the "pencil point" tread geometry of the Speedways--does it offer a grip advantage vs. the less pointed tread of other NDTs? If Jpet can score a set of 900-16 Speedways, perhaps it's time for another of his "R&D Dept." videos. I thought the one on NDT tread 'siping' was excellent.

Also interested in how running 900s on an MB or 2A will affect running gear, fender clearance under extreme axle articulation, etc.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 1:16am
I finally got Performance Plus to measure a 900-16 NDT. 35” diameter and tread width is 8”. That’s too big. Looks like I’m sticking with STA 750-16.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 12:58pm
I wondered what the 900x 16 would actually measure out to, good to hear they finally got off their kister and actually measured one.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 1:23am
Meanwhile, behind the scenes at Spudway Tire Company, The boss says "Mrs. McGillicuddy, would you please stop using all our bandwidth on Spacebook and MyFace and respond to JPET.

If we don't answer him soon we'll have the whole CJ2A page after us. Just look it up in the catalog and send him the number he wants. He doesn't need to know we didn't actually measure it !

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 3:33am
I personally don't like the big Spudway tires because the space between the lugs looks way too big to be from an MB.  They just don't look quite right on a 2A to me. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:23am
I have been watching this thread since tires are on my list. I'm looking at the Firestones. I don't plan on doing hard core off road and I want an original look. One thing I do not understand is the difference between the NDT and the NDCC. Which is preferred and why?

I have to get all new rims and tubes too. So this is going to add up. Is the liner necessary also?

Thanks,
Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:33am
Micah,
My understanding is that the NDCC has a more rounded shoulder or corner than the NDT. If you look closely at the pictures in the links you posted you can see it.

Others may say different, but I've been running my NDTs hard for several years without the liners. Haven't had any problems, even when I air down on the rocks.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:54am
We used to use the liners in split rims.  These were on 3/4 & 1 T.  4x4 Ford and Chevy pickups on a Wyoming cattle ranch in the '70's & '8o's.  I would think liners would be needed with military combat rims.  But I have no experience with them.  
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 11:13am
The 900-16 tires are the Dodge M37 size. Way too big for a standard Jeep. I've been running those tires, and the Firestone and STA in 600-16 NDT. I also am running the 650-16 STA NDCC's. I would have preferred the pencil point tires on my WW2 Jeeps for the look. They weren't available when I built them. The NDT's have a flatter tread profile, grip corners a little better and ride harder then a NDCC. The NDCC's profile is like Stan commented , more rounded and will scare the crap out of you on wet asphalt corners. They ride softer than a NDT.  Ice and snow are a disaster. I like the knobby tread tires for a stock look on a CJ2A, but they were more money than a NDT. I don't know how they work in actual use. 

If you want a better tire for all around use, I'd buy 215-85-R16's in radial Mud and snows. They are usually load rated for a pickup truck and have stiffer sidewalls . I think the rim minimum is 5 inches, so the 4 1/2 rims are just a tad slim, but work. The mudder tires with large cleats are rough riding and noisy. I got rid of a set of those I got in a purchase , already mounted. I hated them. My willys pickup rattled and sounded like a ATV coming up the road. Awful.

Jpet is trying to find a WW2 looking rock crawler tire. LOL  Jeff has done a good job of keeping the look that is fooling most folks. Got to love hearing the comments like "Hey look what a old WW2 Jeep can do". They really got it right back then.  Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 11:55am

Here is my jeep with 7.00x16 speedway NDT tires.  I like the added height they give the jeep but I can feel the difference in take off performance compared to my old 6.00x16's.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by 67charger 67charger wrote:

...Here is my jeep with 7.00x16 speedway NDT tires.  I like the added height they give the jeep but I can feel the difference in take off performance compared to my old 6.00x16's.
Hi Andy, Can you measure the OD of those tires at your leisure. Maybe jack up a tire so it is fully unloaded? At your leisure of course.

Interesting. Here is a thread on the g503:

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=252095

... in the Thread, Farrell Fox is comparing Speedways to STA. Notice the STA is a 600-16 but the Speedways is a 700-16. They both look the same size. I wonder what the diameter of a 600-16 Speedways is.

Also, Performance Plus gave me the tire dimension after much complaining from me. To their credit, they are taking my tire back, giving me a full refund and paying for shipping which is not their normal policy.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 12:50pm
Yes I can measure the OD, I'll measure it after work today.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 4:27pm
I wondered about the Venusian army in Mexico as well...no frickin wonder we are building a wall!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 4:51pm
Jeff, My Speedway 600X16's are 27 1/2" high from floor using a level straight edge on top of the tire. I have a real old Goodyear that has most of it's tread, but weather cracked on the opposite side and it measures the same height and width of the Speedway. Hope this helps a little.

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>