Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPEN Resurrection in PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPEN Resurrection in PA
    Posted: 10 July 2015 at 1:39am

Well finally making some progress on my SPEN project for the MVPA Bank-Head Convoy from Washington DC to San Diego CA.  Convoy departs DC 18 Sep 2015 and arrives 30 days later in Diego.

Recovered this SPEN from MD last fall and am finally getting the time to work on it.  Just finished sandblast last Friday, took down the fenders and replaced the broken mounting tabs for the fenders tonight.  Had three to fabricate and replace, and also installed the tailgate that I had fabricated this winter.

Body needed some major straightening as someone in the past had dropped a very heavy item on the trailers driver-side and I had several cracks and holes that I needed to weld up, especially  cracks in the rear part of the trailer body.

I have the original hitch, which I removed and I fabricated a bolt on hitch with a lunette so that I can pull the SPEN with my 1953 M37 Dodge Power Wagon for the convoy.

I have 1 original tailgate chain and have to fabricate a hook for the other chain which I will finish up this week.  I also had 1 original safety chain, which I removed as I will be installing a set of heavier chains for the trip.

The trailer leg was badly bent, but with a little heat, my anvil and some welding I have it back in shape.  I was fortunate as the original pin and chain for the leg was still on the trailer as were the hubcaps.  Both hubcaps have some small pinholes from rust and I will be leading them up this week.  I like using lead for body work because it won't come off like Bondo can. I have my new wiring harness made up and will install a military style taillight on the drivers side as the M37 has a 24Volt electrical system and a military style plug for the intervehicle cable.  I do have an original 12Volt taillight for the SPEN for its conversion.

After the trip, I will convert the SPEN back to its civilian roots and use it with my 46 CJ2.
My goal is to have the primer on the trailer by COB Saturday.

Some pics of my progress:

Edited by mkoloc - 12 July 2015 at 11:13pm
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 1:51am
More Pics

LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 7:15pm
Can't wait to see the final look on your trailer.  Keep us posted.  Where in San Diego are you guys going to end up at?  By any chance are you stoping by Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton or MCRD?  I recently moved to Florida TEMPORARILY and am from Fallbrook, CA.  Just outside Camp Pendleton.  

Thanks,

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2015 at 11:42pm
Thank You Joel .. not sure of the end point at this time as it is still in play ... Was hoping we would actually use Camp Pendelton as the end point, but even though I made the suggestion, I'm not in charge  Confused .  Have worked with the staff at the Pendelton Museum on a couple of projects and did the Marine Corps Amphibious Assault School there when I was a butter bar with the 7th ID.

Primer is on, and the fenders are almost finished,  Have a little more body work to do on the tub, but at this point I'm not going to straighten any more metal for the time being.  Finished the tailgate chains today as I had to fabricate hooks and retainers from some steel stock, and the safety chains are almost finished with one down and one to go
Some Pics:

LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 3:22pm
Wow Mark....that trailer is truly coming along.  I like the workmanship.  I wish I had some of the skills you have my friend, lol.

Did you settle on the type of tire you are going to go with?  Military or civilian?  Just my two cents here....the military tires will definitely look very nice on your trailer.  What color are you going to give your trailer?  I'm excited to see her in her finished state Thumbs Up

Keep us posted my friend Hug
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

1940's Bantam T3-C
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 9:32pm
Thank you Canaria, at this point I'll go with civilian tires as I do not have NDT'S on my Dodge. Going to paint it to match the Dodge for the trip, so it will be a OD color. I'll convert back to civilian mode (color and the original hitch and safety chains) after my trip. Need to finish the fenders this week and then let the primer cure for a few days so I can shoot the final color. I am traveling this week so the paint will have to wait until the next free Saturday.

Edited by mkoloc - 14 July 2015 at 3:28pm
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
Wmshay6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 3:06am
i came here to update my own SPEN resto and I find this thread- Awesome work!   i have a trailer just like yours. my tailgate was rotted off so now it's a fully welded tub. where in PA are you? i'd LOVE to see yours when you get some time sine both of our trailers a kind of rare. im in MD, so,not far.
My Build:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/oh-where-to-start_topic27685.html
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 3:27pm
Hay6, I'm currently located in York, PA until the end of Aug,then moving to AZ, your most welcome to come visit ...where in MD.are you located? What post is yours on this forum? Would like to see your trailer.

Edited by mkoloc - 14 July 2015 at 3:30pm
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
Wmshay6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 10:28pm
I'm just across the line. I actually bought my SPEN from a fellow in Red Lion. Must have been a dealer in the area at some point. I'll pm you about a visit before your move.
My Build:
Wmshay6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 10:46pm
Mine is titled "oh where to start". Right below yours.
My Build:
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2015 at 2:17am
Got my paint on last weekend in between rain showers and high winds.  Having to paint outdoors as the place we are in while I'm in school is rented, so I can't use the garage to set up a paint booth.  I miss my shop back in WI!

Lights are installed with the mount I fabricated and match my setup on my 1953 Dodge M37 (24Volt).  Fabricated a wire loom with the military plug that mates up with the Dodge,  fabricated a wire plug cover, safety chains, tailgate hardware and the lunette setup so I can pull it behind the Dodge

Left To Do List: Drill out one bolt hole on the PS Fender and install the bolt.  Mount the new tires and tubes which should be delivered to the house by Thursday.  Mount the original reflector on the passenger side fender.  Fabricate a set of wood rails for the sides.  Hand paint the SPEN lettering on the hubcaps.  Apply paint-mask: stars, registration number, unit number and paint them onto the trailer. 

I still plan on straightening the damage on the left side of the tub once we get moved and I get my shop setup in AZ.

I will convert the SPEN back to its original civilian attire once my trip is finished.  Original safety chains, taillight, hitch and paint.

Had a great visit with Wmshay6 from MD who stopped by on Monday to check on my progress and discuss all things SPEN Smile .

Some pics of my progress.

Edited by mkoloc - 29 July 2015 at 2:21am
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2015 at 2:23am
That is turning out to be one great looking trailer!!! CONGRATULATIONS my friend.  You are doing an awesome job on her.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2015 at 2:42am
Thank you Joel!  I have a buddy who resides in Fallbrook, LTC Robert Turley, USMC Ret,  He is very involved with the USMC Museum on Pendelton, and we've worked on a couple of projects together including shipping a USMC WWII Trencher that I  saved from the scrappers in GA to the museum via a C-17.  He has a couple of very nice WWII vehicles.

Plan on staying at his place for a couple of days after completing my MVPA Convoy and before heading up to the new place in Prescott AZ.

Edited by mkoloc - 29 July 2015 at 3:22am
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2015 at 3:04am
Mark:  I have not been at the museum long enough these past three years or so.  I have been back and forth between California, Florida and Thailand!  The reason being is that I got married to a Thai lady and well my life has been off the map lately.  

Do you know MGySgt. James King?  He is the curator at the mechanized museum in Camp Pendleton, CA.  I think your friend, LtC Turley must know him very well if he is volunteering at the museum.  I miss the museum very much and can't wait to go back over there.  Please give MGySgt King my best regards when you see him.

I'm planning, as we speak, a trip back to Cali but first I must go to Florida to pick up my Jeep and trailer and haul them back to Cali.  All of this is tentative as of now.  I don't know what I'll be doing just yet.

Are you taking your rig and trailer to Cali?  It would be awesome if you could shoot some pics of you, your friend and the Master Gun's together and post them here.  I would love to see you guys :)

So you moving to Prescott, AZ?  How far is that from Camp Pendleton?  Just so you know, don't use the 10 Hwy.  I have been told by AAA insurance that is close at some bridge that came down.  Don't know if you have to take that hwy or not but just in case.

Let me know and stay in touch.  Would love to see the convoy and the museum again.

Thanks,

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2015 at 3:27am
Joel, WILCO on those pics ... MGySGt King and I have spoken and emailed but have never met in person ...plan on doing that in Oct.

The I-10 West bound bridge at the AZ/CA border was washed away by a flood last week. They are using the east bound bridge as a bypass for now.

With a hundred vintage vehicles in the convoy, we are staying off any interstates. ..march speed is 35 mph.

Mark

Edited by mkoloc - 30 July 2015 at 5:55pm
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2015 at 6:03pm
Baby has a new pair of shoes Wink.  $199.00 for the pair delivered to the house and that included shipping.  7.50 x 16.

LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2015 at 5:26am
Almost done with my project ... need to install my chain covers, one bolt on fender, and install her tarp ..made up some wood sides as I wanted a little height to store my goodies in for my trip (spare parts, fuel cans, tool box, and camping gear).  Will put the steel bows on when I convert her back to civilian dress.  Going to sleep in the back of truck those nights I don't bunk down in a hotel room.

Also decided to do a little painting on my hubcaps ...I like the way they came out Clap

LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2015 at 8:16am
Wow...I'm jealous. That trailer looks awesome! !!!!!! Congrats!

1940's Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>