Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spen Trailer Serial Number?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spen Trailer Serial Number?
    Posted: 28 Feb. 2013 at 2:43pm
With my apologies to Wheelie  . . . . . 

I recently purchased a SPEN trailer, I believe it to be a Model S based on the pictures I am seeing on the net.  My understanding is that there were no data plates on these trailers like would be found on a Bantam. 

If I understand correctly, there are some reports on the 'net that say that there is a serial number often stamped into the Pass side frame.  To be honest, I haven't looked that closely at mine yet to see what I can find under all the paint.  Is there anywhere else I should look?

The trailer came with a title which shows a VIN of SC243.  Does the S maybe coincide with the Model S?  I'll see if it matches anything I can find this weekend.  My mind is wondering if the SC stands for Model S civilian and the 243 is a serial #.

There is no year listed on the title.  Does anyone know if a year can be determined from the serial number ?

Finally, I will be registering in Maryland.  Not sure how to proceed with that- I need to check with some of my title folks.  If SC243 is indeed the serial # of this trailer, I would like my new title to reflect that.  If they can't / won't,  what do folks think about registering it as a home built?  That way I could keep the PA Title I got with it and attach whatever VIN tag the state assigns. 

Trailers need inspection here in MD, but nobody will inspect without a VIN tag.  Another thought was to get a reproduction Bantam tag off the 'net to give it a VIN of SC243 so that I can get through inspection and hopefully have all of the paperwork reflect the serial number.  Not 100% kosher from a restoration point of view, but it would protect the serial number on the title paperwork.  So long as I can confirm the state will play along. . .
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2013 at 2:59pm
Hi Chris,

My I believe that your serial number would be correct because the title on my Spen says the serial number is SJ165.  The year is 1947.  I have no way of proving it is correct because mine Has no evidence of ever having a tag or stamp.

I'm not sure what the "J" stands for or "C" in your case, but the "S" is the model of trailer.  In your case, it is standard.  an "H" is a longer trailer and a "V" is enclosed.  The three digits are the serial number.  In every example I have seen of these little trailers, the serial number is 3 digits.

Photobucket'>
If you do a search for "Spen" you will find some information but there is not a lot.  Some trailers did in fact have a tag on the passenger side of the frame as you suggested but most I have read about did not.

There is a lot of information in this thread:

HTH
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2013 at 7:23pm
Where on the passenger side frame did you guys find the serial number? Inside, outside, front, rear? I'd love to know what the serial number of mine is.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Wmshay6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2013 at 7:52pm
Bob- mine is listed on the title.  I will be looking on the frame this weekend to see if I have anything there.  From what I understand from my web research, the S/N is sometimes (not always) stamped on the passenger side frame under the front of the tub.

I'll post if I find anything.
Wmshay6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2013 at 11:19pm
So my trailer 's got nuthin in the tag department. Need a vin tag forinspection. Found a place that can do one for me. Can anyone email me a pic of their spen tag so i can copy it for something reasonably accurate?
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2013 at 12:10am
..........and a title, too?!!!!!!! Man Oh man. Lucky dog. Keep us in the loop of the work you do. I'd love to find a set of those hubcaps somewhere.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2013 at 1:10am
Bill Oakes has a couple different tags. You can contact him. "Oakes" is his handle. I don't have any other contact info.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Thunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2014 at 1:56am
I found my serial number, on the outside of the right frame rail, in front of the wheel assembly. It was stamped into the rail, covered by many coats of paint. I actually had to sand the paint off to see it.

Now to decipher it, is another story. I was hoping that the second digit would have been a model year identifier. However, what I have found so far about VIN numbers, isn't working towards this. Hopefully somebody can shed some light on the serial numbers for us.

Follow my build here: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/murph_topic29621.html

CJ2A/ M-38 wannabe
Spen Trailer SG474
muskyjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muskyjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 2:35am
Hello
I am also looking for VIN info.  My Sen has no tag, no holes for a tag and no numbers or letters visible, legible, of decipherable.  I have looked very well.  So now what number do I have for this?  For those who have found a number info, where exactly were the stampings?  How big of type?  Any idea on how many Spen S trailers were made.  Starting number and ending number?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.   I apologize if I have missed any of these answers in post threads.
John
CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 2:40pm
Hi Thunder,
do you have the chance to take a photo of the number stamped in the Spen frame,
 as you had mentioned  ?
I have a Spen trailer too, but I donĀ“t know exactly where I need to see for the number.
I will appreciate your photo .

Thanks in advance.
CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 4:37pm
Hi,
just found my Spen Serial Number !
Please see the other post "Spen Serial Number "

Cheers
CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
dan s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 12:42am
There is some info with pictures in regards to the serial number location on the Spen trailers at this facebook group.  Once you get into the group use the search option.  Just type in Spen.  Someone posted some nice pictures of the serial number location.

Post Reply Post Reply