Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spicer 44 drums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spicer 44 drums
    Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 9:08pm
Are the dana 44 drums different than the drums on a 41? Mainly, lugs not part of the drums?

Thanks
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 9:25pm
The short answer is the drums are different, but it has nothing to do with whether the axle is a Dana 44 or a Dana 41. It has to do with when the Jeep was made.

The brake drums on the MB, and CJ2A mount inboard of the hubs and the wheel studs have longer splines which are "swaged" to the hubs, but they are not really part of the drums, they are just a bitch to remove. 

These earlier Jeep brakes were the Lockheed design with four adjustment eccentrics. 

The later Jeeps with 9" brakes including the CJ3A, CJ3B, M38, Early CJ5, and M38A1 were a Bendix design, which has only two adjustment eccentrics. These have drums which mount outboard of the hubs. These do not required the studs to be swaged, though for some reason they did so with civilian Jeeps up through the CJ5. The same brakes were used on the M38 - M38A1 military Jeeps, and the ones I have worked on did not have swaged studs.

If you are staying with 9" brakes, the later Bendix design is an upgrade to the earlier Lockheed design. 

To use the later brake drums on a Dana 41 you also need to use the later backing plates. I have a set of these I just removed from a CJ5 if you want them.

One of the first things I do when I get an older Jeep is upgrade the 9" brakes to 11" self adjusting, self actuating drum brakes as were used on later CJ5. That is why I just about always have extra 9" brakes parts Smile

Edited by Oldpappy - 10 Jan. 2022 at 9:31pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 9:57pm
Willys used 3 distinct sets of the 9” brakes.
The 9” Lockheed was also used on all the CJ-3A’s.
The CJ-3B began with 9” Bendix (having only a single eccentric per shoe)
Beginning in 1958 all CJ’s went to the “LATE type 9”  Bendix .
This change only incorporated the use of different front backing plates.
With these late 9” Bendix brakes the front wheel cylinders were changed from the traditional “S” tube connection to use left and right hand wheel cylinders that are now attached via a longer flex hose anchored on the frame.

So it’s 9” Lockheed (1945-1952 CJ) early 9” Bendix (1953-1957) and late 9” Bendix 1958-1971 CJ)
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 10:04pm
Thanks. I will see what I have on the 44 based on the above. Hoping the drums are not swaged to the studs. It didn't look like they were in a drive by inspection.

I can go 11" someday, but as you know in willys reality, there are other drains on the budget.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
 Post Reply Post Reply