Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spring Bushing Zerk Gone What to Do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring Bushing Zerk Gone What to Do?
    Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 9:50pm

I can't grease the rear spring bushings.  One zerk is gone, looks like it was yanked out or smashed in.  The other one is a fat zerk I can't get my grease gun to attach to.  These spring bushing zerks look pressed in, so I can't screw in a new zerk.

Sections S-4, S-5 of the Service Manual discuss removing/installing the spring and S-6 for installing the bushings.  I was hoping to avoid dropping the axle, but it looks like I'm gonna have to do it.

Are there any tips or tricks I should know about?

The driver side, rear spring bushing.

Shackle bushing passenger rear.

Edited by jeepdidwhat - 14 Sep. 2021 at 8:19am
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 8:33am
Yes many of the later threaded bushings for the  “U” type shackles have zerks that were a press fit.
You don’t need to drop the complete axle; only remove the offending threaded bushing.
Possibly could press fit in a new zerk or try tapping the threaded bushing using an 1/8” NPT tap.
The hex head bushing showing the grooves around the outside of head is LH threaded.

Edited by oldtime - 14 Sep. 2021 at 8:36am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 10:14am
Here's a new one for me......

I've only known threaded zerks.  

It may help to google this and see what's already posted as far as videos/articles on zerks.  I see there's a tool (similar to a tire valve stem tool) to help with removing/replacing zerks. 

This website seems to describe non-threaded applications:

To add to my lack of enlightenment, that second image looks like it's too far in to accept a grease gun nozzle - so it may also need to be removed.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 11:51am
The "fat" one has the end broken off. 

Just carefully drill them out and press a couple new ones in. The press in ones I've seen look threaded but the "threads" aren't spiral, they're rings that wedge the zerk in place.

PS Grainger has them with pics

Edited by oldscot3 - 14 Sep. 2021 at 11:54am
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

The "fat" one has the end broken off. 

Just carefully drill them out and press a couple new ones in. The press in ones I've seen look threaded but the "threads" aren't spiral, they're rings that wedge the zerk in place.

PS Grainger has them with pics

Wow, I did not know about press fit grease fittings.  The hole is about 5/16 inch diameter and I see 5/16 inch fittings.  I'll order some new fittings and an installation tool.

I'll also try to drill the old fitting out carefully and slowly and see what happens.  I am a little concerned about metal scrapings falling inside the joint.

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 6:54pm
The flutes on the drill bit should pull them out. Drill a little and then wipe the bit clean.

Get your grease fittings first, then select a bit just slightly smaller.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 7:04pm
Press fit zerks can be driven out from the inside via a punch.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 8:07pm
Oldtime is right. 

Just wrench the bushing out, put it in a vice, drive out the grease fitting with a drift punch, and drive in a new one. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 8:46pm
You guys are so ingenious with your ideas. So much ingenuity, so much perseverance. In this instance I’d say invest $20 in all new spring shackle bushings. It’s kind of a throw away maintenance item.

eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

You guys are so ingenious with your ideas. So much ingenuity, so much perseverance. In this instance I’d say invest $20 in all new spring shackle bushings. It’s kind of a throw away maintenance item.

I was trying to avoid the extra work of unloading/removing the spring to change the bushing out.  I was looking for a possible quick fix so I can keep driving.  Every time I take something apart, mission creep occurs and the jeep is disabled for a while. Ouch

I'm already planning my order of Ubolts, spring bolt pivot, and spring shackles/bushings.  Maybe even some bronze replacement bushings for the spring bolts just in case these are worn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

The flutes on the drill bit should pull them out. Drill a little and then wipe the bit clean.

Get your grease fittings first, then select a bit just slightly smaller.

Drilling out was so close to working.  The existing hole is 5/16" and my 1/4" bit didn't get it all.  I have a ring of metal that will rotate when I tap with a punch, but can't get it to move out of the hole.  I think I'll have do this the hard way.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by jeepdidwhat jeepdidwhat wrote:

Maybe even some bronze replacement bushings for the spring bolts just in case these are worn.

Might as well order them, they are almost always worn out...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 7:15pm

[/QUOTE]

Maybe even some bronze replacement bushings for the spring bolts just in case these are worn.

[/QUOTE]

And while you're at it...…………………Wink
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 8:54pm

Well, I got the new C shackles and they are twisted (legs not parallel).  I saw a few posts from others with the same problem.  I don't have a press, so I can't bend it back.

I expected a complication. LOL

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 10:18am
Where did you get them?
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 10:33am
  Don’t tell me, let me guess - Omix-ADA?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 10:43am
The “U” type shackle is supposed to have a slight twist …….
Why don’t you have your old ones for comparison ?
Don’t scrap out your old clips (“u”bolts).
If rusted Remove the nuts after heating them to dull red.

Not picking on you but you must either become a knowledgeable Jeep mechanic or you will be working for ommix for life.

Edited by oldtime - 23 Oct. 2021 at 10:51am
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply