Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spring Pivot Question - LH or RH Thread?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolpool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring Pivot Question - LH or RH Thread?
    Posted: 03 Aug. 2017 at 2:25pm
I've done a bit of research and found out that the shackle on the right (passenger) side of my trailer is a left hand thread and the exact opposite for the left (driver) side of the trailer; please correct me if I'm wrong. What about the spring pivots, do these follow the same thought process?

Thanks for looking!
Canadian Forces 1986-2006
1952 M38 Cdn
1953 M100 Cdn
1952 M100 US
signsup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2018 at 10:54pm
Unless you hear otherwise, I think not.  I did a WWII jeep and the left hand thread thing bit me in the butt when I tried to take my wheels off.  Learned the hard way.  My remberence is that it was only one bushing on each leaf springs was the left hand thresd, but it was a front on one and the rear on the other and drivers side on one and passenger side on the other.  I looked it up at the time, there is a chart on the G503 site.
So since it was only one bushing on each leaf spring was left thread, I am presuming the same for the trailer.

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2018 at 12:28am
This is exactly the same as all early jeeps (up through early 3B, 5, 6 - and I think DJ 3A, if I'm reading the SM correctly).

Since the trailer springs are oriented the same as the jeep rear springs, your statement of LHT on the passenger side is the same.  According to the SM the parts are identified by a groove around the hex heads and a boss on the lower shank of the U shackle.

While we're at it, the military manual, TM-10-1281, for the Bantam T3 also describes the same procedure.  Granted, there are differences between the military and the civilian trailers but this is also a great addition to your library for reference.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply