Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Springs - what we need to know and Jeep Lean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 4:56am
I had about a 1 1/2 inch droop on my drivers side. Added a 2 in longer shackle until I can get the spring reached this winter. Running Holbrook Longleafs
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 3:01pm
If I remember, some have switched the springs and had good luck in correcton. Others have switched the springs with no change.

The frame pivots (welded) at the front so it is easy to have a little twist in the frame from rivets moving. There used to be a video of raising two opposing corners and then two heavy guys with beer jumping up and down on the other corners.

I don't remember what corners are raised. Anyone know?
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 3:08pm
To add to the spring history.   On one old set of mine there is a channel down the center of the springs. This reduced the friction of the springs and made for easier riding and more reliance on the shock absorbers. In the early years, the springs were the shock absorber.

This was expensive manufacturing for the channel so it was stopped, maybe eliminated after the war. Metallurgy advancements may have made it unneeded?
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12