Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squeal, But I Can't Find the Source...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squeal, But I Can't Find the Source...
    Posted: 30 July 2021 at 2:54pm
CJ3A. When starting cold, sounds fine. After 3-5 minutes, the engine comes up to speed, and then the engine starts squealing. Engine seems to be running fine the whole time.

First thought: fan belt. But I ran it without the belt and it still makes the sound.

I'm having the hardest time tracking down the source of the noise. When starting the engine warm, you can hear the squeal pick up. Shutting the engine down, you hear the squeal die down. Quicker when throttling.

But I can't find the source! 

I've sprayed WD40 on the intake/exhaust manifolds, but haven't seen a difference in the engine or the squeal. I've run it without hoses to see if one had a hole in it. I don't know where to look next.

I made a video of the squeal here, including startup, accel and shutdown:

Any suggestions on what this could be, or how to track it down?

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 3:10pm
You have ruled out the gen and water pump. It is definitely related to a rotating component. 
Anything rubbing in the bellhousing?
BOULDER 48 2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 3:19pm
Maybe a bad intake manifold gasket or carburetor base gasket allowing a vacuum leak and acting as a whistle. Get you a piece of hose, stick one end in your ear (either one) and pass the other end of the hose around the carb base and manifold. When you get near the source of the noise, you’ll hear it. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 3:42pm
Yea,I vote for the whistle too if it sounds like it is in the engine bay.
BOULDER 48 2A
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 4:50pm
So either ear either end of the hose or none of these LOL
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 8:17pm
  Wink Or either or neither or both. Big smile
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
oldflea View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldflea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 8:54pm
crank pully rubbing on timing gear cover?
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 11:15pm
I'll take crank pulley rubbing or vacuum whistle for 100 Alex.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jeffclark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 1:45pm
A trillion Internet bucks to those who suggested the carb gasket!

The gasket, surprisingly, seems OK.

But the carb was barely on. Back bolt was barely finger tight, front bolt could use an entire turn. Whistle went right away.

Cheapest, easiest fix possible.

Thanks for the assist, everyone!
jeffclark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Get you a piece of hose, stick one end in your ear (either one) and pass the other end of the hose around the carb base and manifold. When you get near the source of the noise, you’ll hear it. 
BW 

This is exactly how I tracked it down, and it worked really well! And now I have an old hose as part of my kit. Thanks Bruce!
 Post Reply Post Reply