Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stan’s 59 Chevy Apache

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2021 at 9:54pm
Got the engine and transmission stabbed i  today.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2021 at 12:16am
Stan,
Is there some small block power magic inside?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Stan,
Is there some small block power magic inside?

Not a ton but a little. Slightly built up cam, Weiand intake manifold with an Edelbrock carb sitting on it, Petronix Flame Thrower ignition, The headers and Cherry bomb mufflers. I also have a Tremec 5 speed overdrive transmission bolted to it.
Not sure what all that does for me. When I bought the original crate engine the builder said it should make around 320 horsepower with this set up. I’ve never Dynoed it or anything, but that short bet will try and get in front of you real fast if you get into it hard. At least that’s what they tell me. 😋
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2021 at 7:24am
Kinda looks like the sort of truck that can haul most anything...
but mostly ass. LOL
1946 CJ2A 14098
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2021 at 8:12pm
Moving kind of slow on this, but it is all bolted in and ready to rock. I’ve had a little starter trouble, both on the truck and myself. 😋. 
I need to get the front clip with the radiator bolted on so I can get it started and run for tuning tuned and break in.

Here’s how it sits right now.

Is it just me or does that 350 look kind of small in there?

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2021 at 6:35am
Stan, I'm glad you are having your 2nd childhood like me. Or is it my 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th--------------Wink

You can't always just drive Jeeps. Got to have variety. Now if you haul your Jeep with it, imagine your gas station stops. They won't let you pull away. LOL

Red Willy went to a enclosed trailer so he can sneak in and out of those stops. 

I can hear the questions already. What year is it?, how long have you owned it, is it for sale, on and on. 

Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 11:17am
Well, I got it all in. Need to clean up the wiring some, but everything is connected.

Here's an Instagram video of the first start up. It starts and runs ok, but sounds a little rattily. I checked the timing and it is way advanced. I'll need to pull the dizzy and move it a tooth. I can't turn it any more retarded because the vacuum advance canister hits against the firewall. Cry 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 1:41pm
That rear distributor is what keeps me from liking Chebies as much as I might.
The original wiring harness was wrapped in electrical tape.
Easy to replicate if you want to make it look both neat and semi original. Wink
1946 CJ2A 14098
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

That rear distributor is what keeps me from liking Chebies as much as I might.
The original wiring harness was wrapped in electrical tape.
Easy to replicate if you want to make it look both neat and semi original. Wink

Yup, when I first bought this crate motor about 10 years ago, it came with a brand new hei dizzy. It won't fit without a giant hole in the firewall. So I put the old points dizzy in from the original motor. I now have petronix guts in it, but still...  The HEI sits on a shelf and teases me from time to time.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 9:53am
Hopefully that pertronix kit has a rev limiter. I have a '63 Nova with a 350 and did this old Crane electronic ignition conversion that my neighbor gave me and it has a built in rev limiter. My Nova is a manual too, and it really helps avoid over-reving. I think FAST bought out Crane and still sells them. We have pine floors in our house that look just like your new bed. They seem very durable. Our house was built in '29, so maybe the pine was a little harder back then, but I'm sure it will work great in your truck. 

Edited by drm101 - 03 Sep. 2021 at 9:56am
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12