Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stan’s Instagram vids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 4:50am
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Ok, I have to ask...

How long are the judges willing to hang around to witness a given race? 

I could imagine a really sloooowwwww race that might span weeks or months....  :)
If everybody leaves and you’re still moving you win by default.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 4:59am
Here we are charging up the final climb to the summit if Imogene Pass. At just over 13,100 ft I think it’s the highest we’ve ever been. I’m m looking kinda pumped to get to the top because I spent the last half hour at the switchback just out of sight with the hood up, pouring water on the fuel pump and waiting for things to cool off and cure the vapor lock that was plaguing me from the Tom Boy ruins to there.

Rick G gives me the “Go Devil Power” cheer because he was having the same trouble and we were the only jeeps on this trip still powered by original L134s.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 3:59pm
Imogene Pass! 

Tell us more about your L134 performance issues on this climb. 
You mentioned vapor lock, what was your engine temp on the gauge? Did you advance the timing for altitude?

Possible things that could be done to address the vapor lock:  We could come up with a heat shield for the fuel pump and fuel lines on the L134.  There is also a heat shield for the carburetor that is on the L134s used in stationary applications like the welders and generators had.

There is not a lot of air flow that gets to the fuel pump behind the engine front plate.  One options is to install a 6 bladed fan on the L134.  In the old days they did that on heavy trucks that sometimes had to run parked for hours, running radios in the military or fire services applications.   They also installed an engine oil cooler to pull heat out of the oil (I have not seen a oil cooler for a  L134).

Edit - found a 6 blade fan link

Edited by Stev - 16 Sep. 2020 at 4:04pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Imogene Pass! 

Tell us more about your L134 performance issues on this climb. 
You mentioned vapor lock, what was your engine temp on the gauge? Did you advance the timing for altitude?

I've done nothing really to mitigate the vapor lock issues. This was my 3rd time over Imogene but the 1st time I ever had any vapor lock issues. Here's some conditions that probably contributed.

1. This was one of the hottest days in July. You can see in the video that I am in short sleeves. This is pretty unusual at that high altitude. The previous two trips had much cooler weather. One was even in a rainstorm with fog.

2. We were trying to rush through the trail a little bit because some of us were heading out that evening to drive to Moab. Fewer rest/cooling off stops and higher revs in order to travel faster. Engine temps were getting up to the 210 area at times.

3. On previous trips we have stopped at the Tom Boy mine/town ruins just before the final assent to rest and look around at the interesting remains. This time we rolled on through without giving the jeeps a chance to rest and cool.

I'm headed off to the Fall Color Tour this next week and have not done any mitigation. We will see if the Sept vs July temps make a difference in performance at high altitude. I suspect it will. 

I may look into some heat wrap for the fuel lines. i  have never had any trouble with this until this year. I guess my magic is wearing off. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 5:57am
Here’s a couple from Colorado’s Carnage Canyon. “38 inch tires recommended.”

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2020 at 2:41am
Here’s Bob Westerman (Bob W) and X-98 winching and climbing out the exit of Carnage Canyon.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2020 at 10:04pm
Bumping and scraping in Carnage Canyon.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2020 at 5:25pm
Here’s a fun one. Coming down a steep walk and blew a tire off the bead in spectacular fashion.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 9:03pm
Are you running tubes?
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

Are you running tubes?

I've been running tubes forever until the last few months. 
I have pinch quite a few tubes while running at 9 psi or so on the trail. Fold over a tire, pinch a tube, flat tire.
Recently I have been conducting an experiment with tubeless. As a couple of my tubes have gotten pinched and leaked I have pulled the tubes and put a valve stem in to run them tubeless. At the same time I have added a cup or so of laundry starch to the tire to help seal up in small leaks at the bead or in the tread. 
I have not done anything else to my stock style wheels to run them tubeless. No gorilla tape, no safety bump welds, nothing.
So when the bead popping incident happened in the above video, I was running tubeless on both passenger tires and tubes on both drivers tires. The tire that blew was tubeless. 
I believe that had a tire with a tube and 9 psi been put under the stress that I put the blown tire under, I would have pinched a tube, had a flat and been required to use the spare, then repair the leaky tube at a later time.
In this incident, I jacked up the jeep to get weight off the tire, wrapped a ratchet strap around the tire to reseat the bead, then pumped the tire up with a small portable compressor. In all it took about 10 minutes, did not require using the spare and did not require breaking down the tire to get the tube out and patch it. 
This was the first issue I have had with the tubeless tires.  I ran them at the Fall Color Tour, including trips up Pearl Pass and Carnage Canyon without issue.
I am pretty sold on the tubeless concept and as the tubes fail in my other tires, they will be pulled out. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 10:07pm
Another amazing Video!  Running 9 PSI Tubeless with laundry starch - That is actually amazing.   Is laundry starch a old time tire mounting trick or is this something new?  Do people doing this keep a jug of laundry starch in their Jeeps in case they need to remount a tire or is one application sufficient for remounting on the trail?
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Another amazing Video!  Running 9 PSI Tubeless with laundry starch - That is actually amazing.   Is laundry starch a old time tire mounting trick or is this something new?  Do people doing this keep a jug of laundry starch in their Jeeps in case they need to remount a tire or is one application sufficient for remounting on the trail?

Old time trick? Probably, but I learned about recently from Jpet. I don’t carry a jug of the stuff in my Jeep, but I think Jeff does. I carry some in my Jeep support F150 and I have a Harbor Freight tire machine bolted to my trailer for easy tire busting.
In this instance I just reseated the bead and inflated. Ran the rest of that day and the next without incident. It’s still holding air as it sits in the garage.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 10:04pm
Here’s the climb up Hamburger Hill that we did before coming down and blowing a tire.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2020 at 5:40pm
Another climb up the Escalator. I've posted climbs on this obstacle several times. hope it's not getting boring.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2020 at 5:07am
The first real obstacle on the Kane Creek trail in Moab. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Another climb up the Escalator. I've posted climbs on this obstacle several times. hope it's not getting boring.

Nope, not boring!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2020 at 5:07pm
Thanks for the tire info Stan. All these little bits of knowledge on this page are what set it apart. I think there's a big difference between where you are and  here in Michigan, but it's important to know if I plan to travel there. Here it's all sand and gravel, unless I go to the UP. We almost need a how to document for each area of the country. Sand dunes, gravel, snow, slick rock, etc.. On new cars, you just turn the knob to that setting. With an old Willys it's a bit more complicated. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2020 at 10:40pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>