Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Start of a ressurection 48 CJ2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Start of a ressurection 48 CJ2a
    Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 1:12pm
UPDATE: got spark and made boom booms off starting fluid, fuel tank is now just a strainer and fuel pump has vacuum but leaks and doesnt push fuel out. Time has run out for this go around and ill be back in the spring for more tinkering! Will give fuel and water pumps and carb rebuilds upon my return for pickup. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND GUIDANCE!!
EDIT: Im not fixing each post for the continuity of the replies making sense. But i have misspoke more then once as i further learn what it is im wrenching on! No questions at this time but please speak up if theres a specific picture you'd like me to get and upload. Thanks for all the help!!

A late mechanic friend has passed on and his willys is mine to give life to again. I have the next few days to tinker on it here in Idaho before i need to run back to the grind in CO. Hoping to get it running and driven across the property if possible. Looking for tips tricks and wisdom on this ole rust box!
(Yes im aware its not a mb/mpw/cj... but this group seemed best chance for correct and quick answers on the l134) its got a few decades on the oldest vehicles ive wrenched on thus far in my life..
Has the L134 and supposedly ran when parked 10 years ago outside. It has a snapped mounting/pivot tie rod ((track bar equivalent) bolt? tho this one has castlenut/cotter pin on it) which i presume was culprit for its parking..
Things ive found thus far:
3 of 4 tires had 10psi, 4th missing cap. All holding 30 for a few days now.
Motor turned easily by hand on fan until compression made belt slip.
 Turns easy by crank/harmonic bolt with plugs out. Dizzy and generator turn with it. Full of oil still and not terribly black/used.
Oil bath filter had water mixed in and will be given a full cleaning here shortly. 
Havent had any luck with any carb info or any links to purchasing kits/needles, but lines on filter were empty and no gum found yet. Wondering if he drained it when parked, pro ably not and thats just hopeful thoughts.
Will pull tank to clean and get a fresh batch in it. Presume plain ole e85 is best for it? (*mistype out of excitement.. i meant 85 octane for those a mile high or 1.5 miles high where i live, is the cheap 87 equivalent, will prob go get ethanol free once back home like i do for the chainsaws and skip the e15 blend CO mandates now a days, not sure if thats road legal actually yet..?) 
Purchased 6v batt, sparkies, vr1 high zinc oil, wix filter and the volt regulator is ready for pick up today. Will get a starter relay if in stock/1 day shipping too.  Will do compression test once i get it cranking on its own just for base knowledge.

Questions would be: whats best means of attack or order of operations to get it running? Whats the procedure to even get it going as most buttons on dash are worn off. I can identify choke atleast lol and am familiar with older carbed starts. Havent figured out to get lights on but will probe wires today to get a grip on its electrical system and replace the questionable ones. What other things should i be looking into?
Should i crack fuel pump open for cleaning or wait for fresh clean fuel to see if it works or not as is? 

Edited by SimonsWilly - 08 Aug. 2022 at 9:41am
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 2:41pm
I kinda like it.....for somewhat obvious reasons. Wink

Others more experienced will chime it to help....I just wanted to say good luck with it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
SimonsWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 2:51pm
Thanks! Got a bunch of snarky comments of "go put it back where ya found it" from a facebook diesel willys group (will get a mTDI eventually) and most just cared about knowing if frame was stretched..(it has 2ft extra added in) instead of answering the simple question of if it was missing a pitman arm vs a clean snap at that time. 

Lil update while im here, got starter turning. Compression is 70, 85, 70, 80. So a bit concerning but i think itll start once i can get a spark and figure the fuel system out! Ill wait for a wet test and redo dry compression once i get it warm if i can! Found a iginition coil for 8am pick up tomorrow so that makes it promising. (Only got half a volt across coil terminals). Rotor didnt look horrible but definitely used and i havent ohmed wires yet. Also got interior dash light working but no headlights yet..

So whats the off switch on these once running? Key seems to do absolutely nothing..
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 2:55pm
THAT. IS. COOL.  Id check and set the points at .020, clean and regap plugs @ .030, dump a little gas down it's throat, crank it and see if it fires. The beast might surprise ya.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 2:55pm
I wouldn't run E85 in it. Parts of the fuel system could be ethanol sensitive. Additionally, ethanol gas is susceptible to vapor lock at altitude.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 3:00pm
Oops that was my mistyping. Definitely not planning on any ethanol ever. I meant just regular 85 octane? (Or 87 for the sea level people)  just plain ole cheap gasoline is best right?
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 3:08pm
No gasoline is especially cheap now, but yes, just plain regular gas.

Welcome to the Forum. We like pictures. Better obtain a service manual for it. There is an electronic version of the service manual on this Forum somewhere, but I prefer the print version. Good luck.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 3:43pm
I ordered one a few days ago but had it mailed to home in CO stupidly lol. I'll look around for the online version here. Being a millenial i like the digital versions with a old ipad dedicated to getting grease on it! Thanks! 

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 3:50pm
Someone on here probably has a link for the online version. Give it an hour or so and they probably will post it.

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 3:50pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 3:52pm
What are these points you are refering to being .020? Valve clearances? Are they the same for intake and exhaust? This is my first flat tappet so i may just not know the terminolgy yet. I wasnt planning on cracking cover but i will if i succeed with getting spark and fuel going and its running rough or not at all but haven't opened carb yet to see what state its in.

Edited by SimonsWilly - 05 Aug. 2022 at 12:47pm
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 3:54pm
Ignition points.  under the distributor cap.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 4:10pm
I know you said it wants to spin but before you throw fire to it pour a little oil down in the cylinders so hopefully the dry rings will not score the cylinder walls when it fires up.  Once you do that pull the coil wire and crank it over some to get oil pumped back into the galleries.  Then put the coil wire back on and try to start it.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by SimonsWilly SimonsWilly wrote:

What are these points you are refering to being .020? Valve clearances? Are they the same for intake and exhaust? This is my first flat tappet so i may just not k ow the terminolgy yet. I wasnt planning on cracking cover but i will if i succeed with gettin spark and fuel going and its running rough or not at all but haven't opened carb yet to see what state its in.

BW 

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 5:10pm
Thanks for the info and link! Hes super informative and its actually super easy. It was at .024 and now is set to 020. I may have jumped the gun, thinking a good turn over series doing dry compression tests would help move the oil up and around. Hopefully i didnt score anything running it dry but i rechecked #1 a bit ago and its up to 79psi from its inital 70 so id say some oils found it way to the top! 

Plus fuel pump has vacuum so im just leaving that for now and need to run for tank cleaner, parts and get that set for fresh fuel!  Think this is going to be a pretty easy reboot for now!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 5:11pm
Thanks Scratch!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 6:57pm
just fyi, any post YOU make, you can go back and edit. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 7:49pm
  Sounds like you know what you’re looking at, what you’re talking about, and even better, what we are talking about. Points haven’t been OEM for nearly 50 years, so I’ll give you that. Seems like you picked up on it easy enough. Very refreshing from this end. Good luck in your endeavors, dont be afraid to ask questions. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>