Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter/Flywheel. OUCH!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter/Flywheel. OUCH!
    Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 7:12pm
My '47 CJ2A wouldn't start.  Take a look at the images to see why.  I'm interested in 1) any thoughts to the cause of the wear, and 2) any resources for procedures to remove and change the ring gear (how do I get to it without a lift, etc?).  Thanks!

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 8:40pm
Skeeter,
You will have to drop the transmission and pull the flywheel to get that ring gear off. 
A punch and a hammer tapping around the edge will get it off. Then put the flywheel in the freezer and the ring gear in the over. Once heated up the ring gear will slip right over the flywheel and tighten up as it cools.

He's where I describe it in my build thread. There's a link to a vidoe of putting them together.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 9:09pm
As to thoughts about why...it could be just worn out after 70+ years of service, but...

Could the jeep have been changed over to a 12 volt system AND the old 6 volt starter left on? This is done sometimes but it does cause the 6 volt starter to engage the flywheel with a bang. This will tend to accelerate the wear on the ring gear.

Not saying this is the case but what has happened with other jeeps.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 9:47pm
9 tooth starter drive, correct ?.... 97 tooth ring gear, Correct ?....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 10:30pm
Just watched this yesterday - he makes it look so easy...

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2021 at 12:54am
  It can be even easier. I split the old gear by driving a chisel between two teeth. Then it falls off. I clamp a bolt in my bench vice and use a washer and nut to hold the flywheel on top of the vice. Lay the new gear on the flywheel centered as well as possible and then heat it. Around and around. When the gear is hot enough and expanded enough it will fall into place. A few good taps with a large hammer and a soft drift make sure it’s seated. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Skeeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2021 at 2:44am
I'm not sure about the flywheel, but the starter has 10 gears.  Does this make sense?  Maybe the two are not matched.  Thanks for your reply.
Skeeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2021 at 2:46am
SE,

Do you know how I would tell if it is a 6v starter?  It was converted to 12.  You may be onto something.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2021 at 3:06am
Originally posted by Skeeter Skeeter wrote:

SE,

Do you know how I would tell if it is a 6v starter?  It was converted to 12.  You may be onto something.

Will make little difference!, my 2A has had little trouble running 12v on a 6 v starter for 40 years, count the teeth on the ring gear. It does not look correct to my eyes 👀

Lee

Edited by Lee MN - 18 Apr. 2021 at 3:07am
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2021 at 4:52am
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

Originally posted by Skeeter Skeeter wrote:

SE,

Will make little difference!, my 2A has had little trouble running 12v on a 6 v starter for 40 years, count the teeth on the ring gear. It does not look correct to my eyes 👀

Lee

My experiences are the same as lee's 38 years & counting on 2ea L-134 engines.

I also suspect a miss-match of the ring gear & the starter gear.

Edited by cpt logger - 18 Apr. 2021 at 4:54am
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2021 at 3:33pm
I confess that mine ran that way for 30+ years but when I had the flywheel off anyway during a resto-mod moment I looked at the ring gear and it was halfway gone. So I bought a 12 volt starter and new ring gear. It does start easier with less of a bang than the 6 volt starter...much easier.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2021 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

I confess that mine ran that way for 30+ years but when I had the flywheel off anyway during a resto-mod moment I looked at the ring gear and it was halfway gone. So I bought a 12 volt starter and new ring gear. It does start easier with less of a bang than the 6 volt starter...much easier.

I built a fresh motor for mine a few years back, swapped the flywheel from the old motor still no issues, I may have the starter freshened up as it’s probably getting tired 😬

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2021 at 4:16pm
There definitely is a match up problem there.  The pinion is set way too deep into the flywheel.  Even when these are wore out, the starter teeth should not be leaving wear marks below the depth of the ring gear teeth.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply