Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter Hand Crank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Hand Crank
    Posted: 04 May 2022 at 3:03pm
   I need some help!  I bought piece of the 2 piece starter hand crank that one of our member posted on here a while back, THANKS!!! and I am in the process of making the second piece (WO 640752) .  As you can see in the picture I have the socket swaged on the end, but I need the measurements where the '?' marks are to finish it. If you have an original I sure would appreciate if you would help me with this project. 
  Thanks,   Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
banjobees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 3:48pm
Hi Jim,

My crank is *NOT* original, it's the two piece repro that Walcks used to sell.
The numbers for the piece you're making are: 9 1/2", 7" and 6".
When put together, the long part of my crank measures 26"
Attached photos show numbers.

The repro crank works well. (And of course Jeep starts easier if it is already warm LOL)
David

Dave R.

'46 CJ2A
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:17pm
I’ve always felt mine was original but can’t be sure. It differs from the one above although the overall length is close. 

3 1/2” from the socket to first bend, 8 1/2” between the two bends and 5” for the handle. Overall length for the straight run is 27 1/2”. 

The handle has a spinner swagged on it over the shaft. 

Mike 

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 10:55pm
  Here is a pic of an original that I downloaded from google that a member (Golden48) from the Page posted back on 2010.

RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 6:27am
Interesting, mine came with a ‘46 Cj2A and is older. Shows a worn grove that implies it rested in the hole in the bumper for some time. I assumed it had been used as a stationary power supply for a few years. 

Hand cranks were common back in the day, my ‘39 F14 is hand crank only and is made much the same way. It could have been originally used for a different engine and kept with the jeep for emergencies. Also there may have been more than one available from a dealer. 

I have started the jeep with it to show the boys how well they work when they laughed at it. 

Mike

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 9:49am
  Thanks Mike and David, your dimensions are helpful and probably close to the original.  Mike, the pic you posted might have been a military one piece jeep hand crank. I would like to have the original measurements and make one to look as close as I can to the original.  
   I ordered a set of 1/4" letter/number stamps to put the part number on it. I will add something to it so it will not be  confused with an original.  The new old stock straight  piece (WO- 640753) I bought to use with it Is original.

Jim

Edited by WeeWilly - 05 May 2022 at 10:55pm
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 6:08pm
I've got an original. I'll measure it out and get back.  I know it's not bent at exactly 90 degree angles.
Dave
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 7:50pm
     Great!!!  Thanks Dave.   Could you add a couple more measurements.  The thickness of the metal at the opening and how deep the tapered square hole is.

Jim
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 8:02pm
The overall length of the handle is approx. 20-1/4" long.  The square opening is 9/16" tapered down to match the other end.  The opening is 1-5/8" deep.

Edited by Hamhog - 05 May 2022 at 8:10pm
Dave
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 10:02pm
  Thank you much for the detailed pictures and info Dave, It is a lot more than I expected and am sure others appreciate it also.  Thumbs Up  If I can return a favor let me know.

Jim
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 10:09pm
happy to help.

Dave
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 1:05am
WeeWilly, I PM'd you addition info.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 10:22am
   Thanks Joe, that info is a great help on the socket end.  I was having to guess by looking at pictures. I was really shocked after getting all this accurate info how close the socket I made is. I only have 1/16" clearance at the bottom of the hole instead of the 5/16 your print shows.   The only question I have now is how thick are the walls at the mouth of the opening, or the OD at the large end of the bell to know what size to drill bit to use for the pilot hole. The trial one I am working with I used a 29/64" bit.

Thanks again,  Jim
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 11:05am
As crude as it sounds, you might consider blowing it up on your screen till the noted dimensions are the same, and just laying a scale against the display to measure it off the drawing.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 11:40am
   That worked Joe,  Thanks.  I lucked out again and the one that I made is right there. I believe that saying, 'a picture is worth a thousand words'.

Jim

Post Reply Post Reply