Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

starter solenoid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starter solenoid
    Posted: 26 Jan. 2023 at 4:07pm
 My starter solenoid has no markings as to which side the positive cable from the battery should attach or the cable that goes to the starter. This is a three pole starter. Does this mean it does not matter how it is connected? I could not find the answer by searching so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Thad
Life is short. Buy a jeep
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2023 at 4:49pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2023 at 5:17pm
It makes no difference.

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

It makes no difference.

Lee😉

X2.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 4:23pm
The positive  pole must be connected to the solenoid coil, or nothing happens when the other end of the coil is grounded. 
BOULDER 48 2A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

The positive  pole must be connected to the solenoid coil, or nothing happens when the other end of the coil is grounded. 

True on a 4 wire solenoid, the gentleman has a 3 wire, therefore the solenoid coil is internally grounded to the mount.

Lee😉
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 6:21pm
Both the three & the four terminal solenoid are internally grounded. The fourth terminal is used to bypass the coil's external resister, when the starter is engaged. This give the engine hotter spark for starting only.

The four terminal solenoid should be installed with the solenoid, or relay terminal, closest to the heavy post that is connected to the battery.  AIUI, This is so that shorting these two terminals out with a screwdriver to start the rig is easier. It will work just fine with the coil resister bypass terminal in that position, as long as the wires are connected to the correct terminals, but it is incorrect. In the past I have installed a four terminal solenoid incorrectly. It worked fine, but it was tougher to short out the solenoid.

I do not believe that Willys ever used a four terminal solenoid as they did not use external resisters with their coils. I could be wrong about that though.

Note: A four terminal solenoid can be used to replace a three wire one, just leave the fourth terminal wireless.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Both the three & the four terminal solenoid are internally grounded. The fourth terminal is used to bypass the coil's external resister,

Sir you are 100% correct on a FORD solenoid, a typical non FORD or industrial 4 wire solenoid the two small terminals to engage the solenoid, one would be a ground and one would be a positive.

Lee

Edited by Lee MN - 27 Jan. 2023 at 6:30pm
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 7:02pm
All the ones I have seen used on vehicles must be the Ford type. Even the forklifts & large cranes I worked on had the Ford type. IIRC, Caterpillar also used the Ford type. I have only seen the Ford type used on aircraft as well.

However, my experience does not mean that the other type was never used on vehicles. Thus, I sit corrected.

I have seen the type you are referring to used in sawmill & factory operations. I highly doubt that the OP has one of those. Yet, I could be wrong, it has happened in the past.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

All the ones I have seen used on vehicles must be the Ford type. Even the forklifts & large cranes I worked on had the Ford type. IIRC, Caterpillar also used the Ford type. I have only seen the Ford type used on aircraft as well.

However, my experience does not mean that the other type was never used on vehicles. Thus, I sit corrected.

I have seen the type you are referring to used in sawmill & factory operations. I highly doubt that the OP has one of those. Yet, I could be wrong, it has happened in the past.

Well Sir then we can agree to disagree, I spent 35 years in a service truck working on every type of construction equipment used in our market, rarely ever seen a FORD solenoid used in anything other than a FORD.

Lee😉
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 8:04pm
Many starter solenoids need voltage applied to the small terminal to activate the solenoid. Ford 6-volt solenoids required the small terminal to be grounded to activate it. The Ford starter button had only one wire connection. The other side of the switch was connected to ground through the retaining clips to the dash panel. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply