Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Upgrade
    Posted: 27 June 2021 at 1:36pm

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 5:20pm
Glad you got it sorted.  Where is it manufactured and do you know if you can get parts for it?
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 5:49pm
I am very happy with my Toyota 4.2L L6 starter setup. But its not so simple you have to have the 3A closed nose bell housing and a 129tooth ring gear. Then all you have to do besides pay the $75 the starter costs at most auto parts stores is egg out the top starter bolt hole a little bit. I had to retap my starter mounting holes as one was stripped. So I did a Helicoil and it all worked out real well.

I get an occasional starter grind where it misses the ring gear teeth. But otherwise Works great.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by wfopete wfopete wrote:

Glad you got it sorted.  Where is it manufactured and do you know if you can get parts for it?

It has “Made in USA” cast into it, I’m sure the place I purchased it from (A starter & Alt shop) can provide parts for it if needed. I doubt I will need any 😎

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply