Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Wiring
    Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 1:53pm
Now that I have decided to revert back to the CJ2A starter (from a CJ3A), I have a question.

Previously my battery went directly to the starter, as seen below.  This is a 1 gauge cable.

In the diagram I see that this would go from the battery to the floor starter switch.  But this is the cable that Walck's had listed for the CJ2A and it is several inches too short to reach.

I don't see a longer version, unless I am missing something.

Thoughts?
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 2:13pm
You have the body on so you can accurately measure?

I got my battery cable (and harness) from Vintage Wiring and that cable was too short as well.  I ordered another one long enough.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 2:16pm
No.  I am using pictures from the old body and esitmating the distance to be about 4 inches too short.  It seems like there should be a cable available.  I will look again.

The cable is 28 1/2 inches long.

Edited by jgodfrey - 14 Sep. 2021 at 2:38pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 2:43pm
  Is your positive post on the battery towards the front, or towards the rear? It should be towards the rear. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 3:05pm
I went to a welding supply shop and had them make up a cable for me out of 00 size cable.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Is your positive post on the battery towards the front, or towards the rear? It should be towards the rear. 
BW 

It is towards the front.  Maybe that will get me there.  But as you can see my ground would need to be moved.  That cable is very short.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 3:31pm
Your FLAPS probably has a catalog full of different lengths and gauges of cables that would help in a situation like this. I would bet Tractor Supply or Orschelens has heavy cables in stock.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 4:58pm
The non-battery-post end of the ground wire can be screwed to the front of the battery bracket.  That way your short ground cable is still good.  The cool thing about ground wiring is that you can mount it basically anywhere, unlike the hot cable, which must go to certain electrically isolated spots.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Dutch 1960 Dutch 1960 wrote:

The non-battery-post end of the ground wire can be screwed to the front of the battery bracket.

That’s where it was originally. There should be a hole there just waiting to go to work. WinkBig smile
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 9:14pm
 I looks like from the pic that the battery needs flipped end to end moving the neg. post to the front.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
 Post Reply Post Reply