Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Issue 1946 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946willyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Issue 1946 CJ2A
    Posted: 22 July 2017 at 1:23am
I'm new here--so apologies if this has been asked and answered before. And a new CJ2A owner. I'm having the seats redone at present. So while the seats are being replaced, it has been sitting in the garage. Once or twice a week, I have been starting it up just to keep the fluids going. I noticed the pressure was high a few weeks ago (staying at around 60psi while idling and driving). Today while it was running, I noticed the pressure drop and the engine flat shut off. 

Trying to get it restarted and nothing has worked. Checked the carbuerator, lines, and oil. All seem perfectly fine. Though there is a heavy gas smell that appears when attempting to start and a very small amount of seepage of gas from the carbuerator. Now, however, when I go to start it pressure starts at zero and builds up to about 20psi but will not go higher. Engine turns over but will not start and depressing the gas does not do anything at all.

I'm thinking fuel injection line. But does anyone here have any experience with this? Jeep was a gift from my grandfather who restored it and passed away last year, so he is not able to answer my questions any more. 
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 3:11am
Welcome to the CJ2A Page.  Post some pictures of your jeep we would love to see it.

From your post this is going to be a trial and error diagnosis. 

- Find the fuel leak first.  

When you say the Jeep was running and you had 60 psi of oil pressure was it idling or running wide open.  Most jeeps will run a lower oil pressure when idling - 20 psi is normal for some of these motors. 

"Trying to get it restarted and nothing has worked." 
- Does it still crank when you try to start it still? 
- Is this Jeep 6 volts or is it 12 volts?
- Is there fuel in the gas tank?  
- Can you see fuel in the fuel pump glass bowl if it has a glass fuel pump bowl?
- Is there a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carburetor? If yes, does it look clean?
- Are you pulling the choke out when you are trying to start it?
- If you spray a little starter fluid (the type with upper cylinder lube) into the carburetor, will it start then and run for a short time?
- Have you checked to see if you still have a spark at one of the spark plugs?

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 4:16am
I'll go simpler then Stev  What engine does this Jeep have?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
1946willyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946willyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 8:24pm
It is 12V conversion. It was both idling at 60psi and at 60psi while driving it in first gear--it might pop up to like 65/70 if I put pressure on the gas pedal (I had not taken it up beyond 1st gear as it didn't have seats, so I would just be driving it around the driveway). There is definitely fuel in the tank--about 3/4 full. I did add a little gas to the carburetor to try and start it and nothing happened. I've tried starting both with and without the choke. But it starts to turn over but just won't catch on and depressing the gas pedal doesn't seem to do anything now. I'm going to go fiddle with it right now and I'll post my findings and some more pictures in a bit.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946willyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 8:57pm
Still same issue as yesterday. Here is what it looks like attempting to start up. 

I feel like it has something to do with the fuel lines. There is a strong gas smell when starting up, seepage on the carburetor, and what looks like a small drip on the exhaust pipe right underneath the carburetor. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946willyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 9:44pm
Engine is a L4-134 “Go-Devil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946willyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 10:11pm
Here's the whole jeep, minus the seats. 

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 11:24pm
That is not a CJ2A carburetor/intake manifold arrangement. Is this an industrial engine?

Do you have spark?

The oil pump drive the distributor, the oil pump is driven by the camshaft.
Does the distributor shaft turn when you crank the engine?

It seems very odd that oil pressure would drop and the engine instantly quit unless the oil pump and distributor are no longer being spun by the camshaft.

Edit:
Watched the video, pump is working----check the distributor/spark.

Edited by TERRY - 22 July 2017 at 11:26pm
BOULDER 48 2A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:08am
That's a really clean Jeep!  Why is there a grease zerk on the intake manifold?  If you need a plug there, you should get an actual plug.  The zerk could open up under vacuum and give a vacuum leak.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946willyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 4:59pm
It isn't grease, it's gas. It's seeping out. I've tried messing about with the spark plugs and can't figure out if there is still a spark. There was what looked petroleum jelly inside on of the plugs. But that's all I could determine with the spark plugs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946willyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 5:00pm
I am not sure about it being an industrial engine. As far as I know, it isn't.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 9:13pm
Remove the center wire from the distributor cap, slip a screwdriver into it, hold the shaft of the driver near the head (you hold the plastic handle!), and have someone crank the engine. Does a spark jump the gap?
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946willyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 12:36am
Like this, or take the whole cap off? Just slide the screwdriver in there and look for an arc of electricity?

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 1:17am
The wire that you removed from the distributor cap is the one that supplies spark to the distributor. Spark should not come out of that hole, it should go into the distributor via that hole.

IMHO, the easiest way to check for spark is to pull the wire from that hole & using plastic handled pliers, hold the wire close to the head. 1/4" should do it. The spark should be blue & strong.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 1:32am
Mike, I must be blind, I do not see any Zerk fitting on/in the intake manifold. I do see, either a long stud or a bolt that has a threaded stub above the head. Maybe for a lifting eye, or some odd bracket. It is near the firewall & the closest one to the engine block. Is that what you are seeing? 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:14am
Where those two bolts are that would hold... something... on an industrial engine, just forward of the rearmost bolt, is a grease zerk in the intake manifold.  There on the first pic of the driver's side of the engine.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:03pm
Looks like a grease fitting to me too. I have an intake like that, it came on a 1954 Henry J supersonic motor, in the manual I have it shows that a DJ had that same intake. The carb is turned 90 degrees from a normal one also. Those other 2 bolts are for the throttle linkage.

Edited by leecarr - 24 July 2017 at 6:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946willyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:31pm
Ok. Waiting for my brother to get back and we'll give it a try. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what happens. Here's an overhead view, if it helps. I don't know what grease zerk you are referring to. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>