Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting on a Steep Hill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 12:49pm
I don't have a problem with this. drive to the top of the hill before you stop! LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

the three feet on two pedal dance 

Works great unless you have a 3A with the foot activated starter switch Wink

That's what the passenger is for......
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

Works great unless you have a 3A with the foot activated starter switch Wink

And there you  have one of the main reasons to eliminate the foot starter switch. It's all fun and cool for nostalgia and originality, but for starting on a wall with death or destruction a few inches behind you, having to get a foot on that starter switch is no Bueno. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

This I gotta see Stan.. video please?

I still wanna see this one..

Well, because I have one hand on the wheel and one hand on the key and one foot on the clutch and one foot on the brake AND the skinny pedal, I don't have enough appendages to do an actual close up shot of the two-feet-on-three-pedals dance but if you watch closely here in this video you will see me stall the engine quite a few times while hanging on an extremely off camber slope with death and/or destruction waiting if any backwards roll occurs. The two-feet-on-three-pedals dance is demonstrated here multiple times. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 3:06pm

Read carefully Stan.. (should be easy for a librarian) your OP read:
THREE feet onTWO pedal dance

Edited by RICKG - 09 Jan. 2020 at 3:09pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 3:23pm

Read carefully Stan.. (should be easy for a librarian) your OP read:
THREE feet onTWO pedal dance

Well, how embarrassing.

This has always been an issue with me. I can never get that 3rd foot to do what it is supposed to.

And I have always needed someone else to proof read my writing because I only see the first letter or two of each word and skip on to the next word because I know what that word should be without looking at every letter.  Embarrassed
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 3:24pm
Not fixing it (my original post) though because that would ruin the fun.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 3:36pm

Not fixing it (my original post) though because that would ruin the fun.

'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

What Nothing Special has said is mostly true. It depends on how the line locks are wired as to how they work.

In my case they are wired to the fuse panel on the side that is powered when the ignition switch is in the ON position So if I were to turn my ignition off while the line lock was engaged it would release. My ignition switch is an ACC OFF IGN three position switch. I use a separate starter button.

I did this specifically because leaving Line locks on like as an E-Brake can run your battery down. And my only intention for the Line Locks was to act as a temp system while I am in CHUG. AS in something off roading.

The line lock I used to have on my Bronco was entirely mechanical, so that's an option too.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Ron,

If you might consider adding a clicking style M38 throttle handle - it just might solve your problem.

I've done this as well.  Below is a link to the kit I've used.  Just a small lever that clamps onto the shifter.  Mine holds where you set it so it can be used to raise the idle.  There are also those that will drop back to idle when you quit squeezing (I think Bam Bam has that style).  Personally I like the ones that will hold.  I think I can do just about anything with it that I could with the return-to-idle style, but I can also set the idle up a bit, let go of it and let the vehicle chug over rocks without staling or too much jerking.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16192_250.htm
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 6:45pm
Starting on a hill in gear:

Some hills are steep, some are steeper.
Some people have well tuned engines, some do not.
Some Jeeps have L134s, some have bigger engines
Some Jeeps are 12 volt, some are not
Some people have a hi-torque starter, some do not.
Some people have low gears, some, even lower.
Some jeeps start fast, other take several cranks.

The point is, nobody needs a forum to tell them if they should or should not do this. Next time you are on a hill, you can try starting your jeep in low/low. If the engine cranks smooth, you are good. If there is a strain, you may re-think it based on the surrounding danger. Use your on-board brain to determine your special case.

This is not a new technique. It has been done by off-roaders and farmers long before I was driving. To each their own but IMO, the readers should at least know the technique is available and it should not simply be dismissed as a bad idea.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 7:03pm
I use a walmart bicycle brake connected to the throttle cable:

I wanted something that releases when you let go so it can't get accidentally stuck. Very handy when you are in a tough spot and need three feet.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Starting on a hill in gear:

Some hills are steep, some are steeper.
Some people have well tuned engines, some do not.
Some Jeeps have L134s, some have bigger engines
Some Jeeps are 12 volt, some are not
Some people have a hi-torque starter, some do not.
Some people have low gears, some, even lower.
Some jeeps start fast, other take several cranks.

The point is, nobody needs a forum to tell them if they should or should not do this. Next time you are on a hill, you can try starting your jeep in low/low. If the engine cranks smooth, you are good. If there is a strain, you may re-think it based on the surrounding danger. Use your on-board brain to determine your special case.

This is not a new technique. It has been done by off-roaders and farmers long before I was driving. To each their own but IMO, the readers should at least know the technique is available and it should not simply be dismissed as a bad idea.

Well put! 👍👍👍

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Jolly Rodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 9:29pm
Some people are "Qwaaazy", some are not!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2020 at 6:31pm
Well, I have never seen anyone in this part of the country with three feetLOL

When my father was teaching me to drive he would have me drive up "Knollwood" road which had a very steep part, and there he would reach over and turn off the ignition.

First time he did this, when I was about 13, we had a pretty sketchy moment before I got over the panic enough to hit the brakes. I think it aged him a bit.

The "Two feet, on three pedal dance" became so ingrained in me I no longer give it any thought, just comes natural, and doesn't matter if it is a Jeep, or a Farm truck, that is how I do it, and it works every time.

How do you guys in Colorado put a rock under the wheel and hold the brakes at the same time????
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2020 at 9:11pm
  Oldpappy asked: “ How do you guys in Colorado put a rock under the wheel and hold the brakes at the same time????”

Shut the engine off and let first or reverse gear hold it. Big smile  BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2020 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Oldpappy asked: “<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb248, 248, 252;"> How do you guys in Colorado put a rock under the wheel and hold the brakes at the same time????”</span>
<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb248, 248, 252;">Shut the engine off and let first or reverse gear hold it. Big smile  BW </span>

Have Roy Jean stuff a rock under there-make sure it's bigger'na grapefruit tho..
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 12:11am
This thread is chocked with ideas!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>