Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steering damper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering damper
    Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:54pm
I have tried to search for damper installs on a factory Ross steering set up but to no avail.  I can see member pics with them but they are somewhat hid in the pics on where you hook up to.  I saw one where it was hooks to the drivers side frame and on to the front steering bell crank.  but nothing in mods about installation.  Could someone send me a picture of both ends and where it is mounted.

Thanks you everyone for what you do!

williamsar
1946 CJ2A #72643

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:27pm
I once had one that was attached to the axle tube and a tie rod, but have since removed it after correcting all linkage faults, and do not miss it.
BOULDER 48 2A
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 1:51am
I agree with Terry as I know he is a wise man.
The damper is masking other problems and is not a cure.
Go through the front end hardware, rod ends, knuckles bearings, king pins, pitman arm etc.
You will be impressed.
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 1:57am
Yes, fix the problem, don't mask it. 
Life is only as good as you make it.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:27am
I agree. The steering damper is a mask. As soon as I see one I want to take everything apart and replace everything. That being said, if everything checks out and is good and you want one I can't see why it would hurt anything.

eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 4:57am
I agree with Damar. All the steering components on my Willys are brand new, but I still elected to leave the dampener on my Willys.   I figured it wasn't hurting anything to have it, but I highly recommend fresh components.   

Tim
jsteed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsteed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 5:16am
I have one on mine, but it will be coming off as I complete my 50 year restoration. I'm guessing it was put on because of the slop in the steering. there is no shimmy... and I don't think its because of the damper. Slop in the steering and shimmy are two different animals... So it was probably put on for the wrong reason. having said that, I havent driven it with the old wheels/tires yet. 

Jordan

Jordan
------------------------------
No you can't play with my toys!
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 5:53am
Damar... I agree with your premise that is everything else is okay, and you still want a steering damper, then go ahead and put one on. However,  I'm a bit concerned about the installation in the photo you showed. If it was an MB with the bell crank on the axle housing, it might suffice, but to have the damper between the axle (that's moving) and the tie rod (that's moving) would probably pose more problems than it solves - especially at such a high attitude where the up and down movement of the axle housing affects the thrust on the tie rod. On the other hand, if one end of the damper were attached close to the center housing, and the other end of the damper close to the end of the tie rod (near the brake drum) it would work fine. I don't mean to criticize what you have going - just concerned about a safe install. Please correct me if I'm not seeing it correctly. Roger
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 11:53am
Can't argue with you Roger. It was the only picture I had at the time. It was attached like that when the frame came to me and I took everything apart and found Brinneled bearings which I replaced and the bell crank bearings were shot. I put the damper back on for the hell of it.

Here is another set up I have that makes me suspicious. The steering is very sloppy even with the damper. This is all coming apart for inspection. Roger, I think this damper set-up is more of a correct configuration.

Edited by damar2yxr - 24 May 2013 at 12:04pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 2:50pm
David. Thanks, and sorry to be picky. I was afraid of you using the system in that previous photo because I believe it could make the vehicle harder to handle than easier. Your second photo is a bit more correct, but doesn't take full advantage of the damper because it is attached inboard on the bell crank where the throw or length of movement is less than if it were attached to one of the tie rods. Ideally, we'd want to arrest the freeplay as near to the wheel connections as possible (as opposed to being near to the steering box connections). ... R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
williamsmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 11:14pm
i appreciate everyone's input.  My steering is fine I have really rutted roads with large rocks I drive on and thought it might keep my elbows from inverting by adding one.  But there is a saying someone says on here, if it didn't come with it why add it.  I might try some slightly wider radial tires instead of bias 10 ply, I don't like the big tires I am afraid they would cause problems to drive train, suspension and steering down the road.

Thanks everyone for your input.  
1946 CJ2A #72643

Macgraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 2:06pm
One thing I would add is a Tightsteer unit. Mine really made a difference.
groundhawg
williamsmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:08pm
I have been watching everyone who is using Tightsteer.  I like to see it work and see if it would cause abnormal wear to steering boxes.  I am impressed so far.  I followed the builder on his tread. Now i notice Walks and Kaiser are selling them.  They will probably go up in price before I make up my mind.   
1946 CJ2A #72643

Dan R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 8:50am
Hey all,
I was just reading through this thread and I see that most of the outlook on “why do I need this steering stabilizer” is for the wrong reasons.

This shock is to dampen the affects on when one tire hits a larger obstacle which will make the steering wheel spin violently while you are holding on to it and trying to steer through whatever you are driving through. If your not careful, this will snap your wrist like a twig. 
You never think about how much force is put through that steering if you drive a vehicle with power steering over rocks and such. 
Just driving a manual steering vehicle down a paved road is not a problem, even if it’s a dirt road is not a problem, but if you ever decide to take your rig out for a little bit of off-road 4-wheeling fun, keep your thumbs out from inside of the steering wheel and hold on semi-loosely to the steering wheel if you do not have this steering stabilizer shock on the vehicle. 
I’m letting everyone know this because even though I knew this and we took our wrangler jeep out for some fun with no power steering (yes, we have a 47 CJ2A as well but it’s a full ground up restoration in the process), and I ended up snapping my wrist because I could not let go of the steering wheel fast enough when it spun when we hit a big rock. 

So be careful out there if you do not have this shock installed.
And just for the records, we really do have a CJ2A that I am close to finishing up. Starting to get anxious to get her out on the road.

Sorry, not sure why it spun my picture sideways. 

Edited by Dan R. - 14 July 2021 at 9:22am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 8:02pm
Steering dampers are an aftermarket add on, and are not needed when the steering system is put in proper order. I always fix the problem, and ditch the dampers. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Dan R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 8:58pm
If you are implying that I do not keep my vehicles in top notch shape oldpappy, you could not be further from the truth. 
I was just offering some advice to the ones who read this forum that dare to take their manual steering rig someplace further than a maintained dirt road. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 9:22pm
Everyone is always quick to point out the old, standard 'band aid' reply when this comes up.....and for a lot of the scenarios that could well be a good reply....BUT most seem to ignore the  scenario that Dan is replying to.

I agree, yes they weren't stock. Yes, the mask worn out components and a lot of people used them in that way.

Dan is talking about an instance where a wheel is grabbed by, whatever, be it a treeroot, a rain rut, whatever.....and then the steering wheel is jerked or spun out of your hand.

We've all been taught (and there are no shortages of expert posts on this too...."always drive with your thumbs outside the wheel, just hold the outer edge")

In that case the damper does just that, it slows down the reaction so just maybe your hand or finger due to inattention won't get injured.

I think he has a valid point ( and probably a well maintained vehicle for all we know)

If you're a purist don't put one on there.....but if you think that it might prevent an injury then use it.

Just an opinion, but every case is not necessarily a band aid fix situation.

Edited by rocnroll - 15 July 2021 at 9:57pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Long_Range View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long_Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Steering dampers are an aftermarket add on, and are not needed when the steering system is put in proper order. I always fix the problem, and ditch the dampers. 

Back in the 90s I used to race dirt bikes in the desert. One of the things that helped tire you out was going fast over rutted terrain. The handle bars would snap around and sometimes go into a tank slapper (dirt bike death wobble) and you would put a lot of energy in controlling the handlebars. I spoke to a couple top racers on the Kawasaki racing team and their opinion was the dirt bike steering stabilizer was invaluable to going fast and winning. Less jerking around, more stable, less tiring, faster speeds. None of the racing dirt bikes came from the factory with steering stabilizers. 

So adding one to protect your hands/arms seems like a no harm/no foul idea to me. 

And I agree it should not be a bandaid for sloppy components (unless it helps you get home safely to then fix the components).

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>